Mass Shootings ... pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
The blood of four more will not be enough to change anyone's minds on guns except family and friends of the victims. The situation is just getting worse right in front of our eyes yet nothing changes.
At this point, the only thing that might kick start real talks of change will be if mass shootings start happening at schools where families of congress members attend. Probably not though, this country is just so in love with guns that these mass shootings are just collateral damage, "the price of freedom".

• Sad
Reactions: seebell

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
At this point, the only thing that might kick start real talks of change will be if mass shootings start happening at schools where families of congress members attend. Probably not though, this country is just so in love with guns that these mass shootings are just collateral damage, "the price of freedom".
As violent crime continues to rise, the less traction any argument about disarming the populace is going to have. It is what it is. Fix the crime problem and then we'll talk.

Reactions: CrimsonJazz

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Very frustrating.

And garbage policies like this aren't going to help: Cashless bail program to start in Shelby County
There's a large body of research showing how bail programs trap many otherwise decent people into a cycle of dire poverty. Certainly there are SOME people who should pay bail due to their crimes, but most low level offenders that are not repeat offenders should not be stuck in jail due to the lack of ability to make bail or break out of the poverty cycle. There has to be a better way. But there's so many problems with our rehabil...incarcerati...prison trauma system that cash bail is just one small part of the problem.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
There's a large body of research showing how bail programs trap many otherwise decent people into a cycle of dire poverty. Certainly there are SOME people who should pay bail due to their crimes, but most low level offenders that are not repeat offenders should not be stuck in jail due to the lack of ability to make bail or break out of the poverty cycle. There has to be a better way. But there's so many problems with our rehabil...incarcerati...prison trauma system that cash bail is just one small part of the problem.
Yeah, that's the idea behind it.

We'll see how it works here, but based on how Memphis half-implemented Section-8 housing, largely killing property values in large sections of the city, I'm not holding my breath.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
As violent crime continues to rise, the less traction any argument about disarming the populace is going to have. It is what it is. Fix the crime problem and then we'll talk.
Show me the data. Mass shootings are definitely on the rise but, the overall violent crime rate is going down. 2019 is the most recent data on the FBI site but, 2019 rate was lower than 2000, even lower than 1981. The GOP love to push this myth that violent crime is skyrocketing but, that is a lie. They push that lie precisely to avoid the gun change talk.

Even this site shows an much lower rate from 1990, even though there is a slight rise over the past 2 years. Still far from the narrative of the GOP.

• Thank You
Reactions: seebell and Go Bama

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
It's possible violent crime may not be on the rise.

Are we sure violent crime is increasing?

First, the recent violent crime increases, even if they are not just noise, are dwarfed by the amount of violent crime in the 1990s. We have not returned to the bad old days. Second, the speculative explanations commonly proposed must fit the timing of the recent violent crime increases. Conjectures revolving around the COVID-19 pandemic and pent-up frustrations, at least as usually formulated, do not seem to get it right. Third, explanations based on more passive police practices, real and imagined, coupled with the perceptions of reduced risk among individuals already predisposed toward violence, may have some merit, but the existing data range from weak to nonexistent. It is very difficult to bring facts to bear. Fourth, if one takes the solid black curves in the two graphs at face value, we have been on a time path that is bottoming out. Sadly, this may be about as good as it gets under the existing conditions that affect violent crime. Variation in violent crime over the past few years may be nothing more than a bit of bouncing off the bottom.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It's possible violent crime may not be on the rise.

Are we sure violent crime is increasing?

I know the numbers.

I don't honestly care much about what's happening country-wide compared to how I care about what's happening locally to me. I know that nationally violent crime is a good bit lower than it was even 30 years ago. In Memphis, violent crime is has been up the last three years (>10% annually) and has been climbing steadily for the last 12 years.

But yeah, stats and graphs and stuff.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I know the numbers.

I don't honestly care much about what's happening country-wide compared to how I care about what's happening locally to me. I know that nationally violent crime is a good bit lower than it was even 30 years ago. In Memphis, violent crime is has been up the last three years (>10% annually) and has been climbing steadily for the last 12 years.

But yeah, stats and graphs and stuff.
I wasn't trying to get under your skin, just offering what I read as an informative article.

As for Memphis, I haven't said this in the past because I thought you might love living there, but four years in the 70's was more than enough for me to decide it's never going to be a good place to live. Great culture and food, but man, the PTB have always been corrupt. The local news broadcasts are horrible compared to Nashville news.

I'll be glad when you can relocate.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I wasn't trying to get under your skin, just offering what I read as an informative article.
No worries, I just hate how stats like that are bandied about, as if what's happening on average to the 3rd largest populace living in the 3rd largest country on the planet somehow impacts / explains / even correlates to local trends.

As for Memphis, I haven't said this in the past because I thought you might love living there, but four years in the 70's was more than enough for me to decide it's never going to be a good place to live. Great culture and food, but man, the PTB have always been corrupt. The local news broadcasts are horrible compared to Nashville news.
Thankfully, we live in a 'sub-suburb' to Memphis, but the effects still reach us.

You'll never offend me about Memphis - it is a crap-hole city and has been that way for decades. The issues are deep and not easily solved because there are really hard truths everyone has to accept before it can be fixed. That said, in the 25-ish years we've lived here, few have been willing to admit they have any culpability.

I'll be glad when you can relocate.
Thank you, we're accelerating our plans to leave even now.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
No worries, I just hate how stats like that are bandied about, as if what's happening on average to the 3rd largest populace living in the 3rd largest country on the planet somehow impacts / explains / even correlates to local trends.

Thankfully, we live in a 'sub-suburb' to Memphis, but the effects still reach us.

You'll never offend me about Memphis - it is a crap-hole city and has been that way for decades. The issues are deep and not easily solved because there are really hard truths everyone has to accept before it can be fixed. That said, in the 25-ish years we've lived here, few have been willing to admit they have any culpability.

Thank you, we're accelerating our plans to leave even now.
Will leaving sever or make difficult any professional ties?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.