National Transfer Portal news

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
For grins I looked up Stanford, and it appears they have had a total of one player transferring in, a guy that had completed his master's in economics in 4 years at OU and was a grad transfer.
One of the reasons that Shaw retired.
Probably why they have fallen off the map in the PAC 12 too. If you aren't willing to play the portal you are going to get left behind.

I know they are a proud academic institution, but at some point they'll have to figure this stuff out.

rolltiderman

Scout Team
Aug 20, 2005
How much of the number of people transferring out in our case has to do with our coaches and inability to keep young players engaged vs. the young players just wanting more playing time? The concern here is we need Sophomores and Juniors in the program. Otherwise we have only Seniors and Freshmen. How do we keep a healthy mix to avoid major drop-off in talent/experience between starters and backups? Not sure if I articulated this well.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I’m curious about the drops - there were 21 or 22 before Austin Peay, IIRC. It seems from reports Holden dropped some but I’m curious about the rest.
Back in the day when Saban wasn’t a big fan of throwing the ball, he threw his receivers under the bus at a Dolphins press conference; something like “I can’t catch the ball for them” and “at this stage in their career they should know how to catch the ball”. In the game a tight end dropped a pass and maybe it was a critical point in the game (said tight end never became a “star”, might have left the game a year or two later, not sure.) Curious if that’s why some of them are leaving.
IMO, Professionals are fair game because it's their job... :cool:

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
was pleasantly surprised at how few they dropped last week
If I recall Holden dropped a pass that would have converted a third down in the auburn game. We had crucial, untimely drops all season long that killed drives with several coming in the end zone / red zone. When you win/lose 5 games that literally came down to the last few plays, those drops are the differences in 12-0 vs 10-2.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If I recall Holden dropped a pass that would have converted a third down in the auburn game. We had crucial, untimely drops all season long that killed drives with several coming in the end zone / red zone. When you win/lose 5 games that literally came down to the last few plays, those drops are the differences in 12-0 vs 10-2.
IIRC, there was a critical drop on a 3rd down against LSU that literally was thrown perfectly by BY and hit the receiver in the hands, but was dropped. I can't remember if it was Holden or not, but he's who I'd guess.

I can't remember at what stage of the game it was but I remember feeling that it was "a critical mistake" among many in that game that led to the loss.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
When your QB is holding onto the ball for 9 seconds and still can't find an open receiver, there's a problem. Is it coaching or talent or most likely a combination of the two. Dropping passes that hit them in the hands is another issue altogether.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
When your QB is holding onto the ball for 9 seconds and still can't find an open receiver, there's a problem. Is it coaching or talent or most likely a combination of the two. Dropping passes that hit them in the hands is another issue altogether.
I'm going to point out something....

Part of the issue is BY often miss open receivers in early part when the ball is open. Receivers turns their head and they're open but he don't see them. That happened a lot against LSU and Ole miss game. Also there was open running lane for BY to run and he didnt take advantage of that. It has reached to the point that opposing team knew he wouldn't run and thats why they were comfortable sitting in zone defense often. If BY had run more.. you force team to respect that and receivers will be open more. Against Auburn... BY did that and guess what? REceivers were open. This is on BY and coaching staff for that.

Receivers- I don't put all on them. part of that is option routes.. its based on coverage they see. This is on BOB. We didnt' exploit one one matchup and wasn't often aggressive.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
I'm going to point out something....

Part of the issue is BY often miss open receivers in early part when the ball is open. Receivers turns their head and they're open but he don't see them. That happened a lot against LSU and Ole miss game. Also there was open running lane for BY to run and he didnt take advantage of that. It has reached to the point that opposing team knew he wouldn't run and thats why they were comfortable sitting in zone defense often. If BY had run more.. you force team to respect that and receivers will be open more. Against Auburn... BY did that and guess what? REceivers were open. This is on BY and coaching staff for that.

Receivers- I don't put all on them. part of that is option routes.. its based on coverage they see. This is on BOB. We didnt' exploit one one matchup and wasn't often aggressive.
The QB and the receivers must both read the coverage. All season they seemed to see it differently. Many times though I saw receivers break open later in the play and Bryce either didn’t see them or didn’t trust his shoulder to make the throw. It wasn’t always on the OL. To me, it was coaching failures.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.