National Transfer Portal news

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
That sounds good in theory but you need a GREAT staff of coaches to do it.

Right now we are turning a LOT of 4 and 5 Stars into 2 and 3 Stars.

Starting with players that are even rougher around the edges would be a disaster with the current staff.
The decision has to be made which end of the equation is going to be taken from theory to reality. Because being able to bring in "better players" via the transfer portal sounds great in theory as well until it doesn't work.

Reactions: AlexanderFan

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
Transfer portal and NIL have ruined college sports, look at us this will not be the same team that we started the season with all the transfer and players opting out, everyone says well it gives young guys a chance yes it does but if you want to watch young guys watch the aday game, I heard this morning that someone has came after one of our verbals saying they can get 100,000 first year that's what is hurting college sports

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Help me if I am wrong, but since the whole portal thing really took off, I count only 2 portals who really panned out for us - Jameson Williams, and JahMyr Gibbs.

Who am I missing? One might say Burton, but to me he never developed into a go to WR and that's what we needed. Harrell never played. Ricks never played until very late in the year.

On the flip side though, I'm not sure any of our portal-outs have made a large impact at their destinations either.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Help me if I am wrong, but since the whole portal thing really took off, I count only 2 portals who really panned out for us - Jameson Williams, and JahMyr Gibbs.

Who am I missing? One might say Burton, but to me he never developed into a go to WR and that's what we needed. Harrell never played. Ricks never played until very late in the year.

On the flip side though, I'm not sure any of our portal-outs have made a large impact at their destinations either.
That's about it. Ricks played well late in the year when he got in, but wasn't the 1st round talent he was expected to be.

Burton seemed to be a drag on the team to me. His production wasn't worth the bad press of slapping a female UT fan.

The only guy that transferred out and was productive that I can think of was Shane Lee at USC.

*EDIT* Derp. I forgot about Drew Sanders. That guy might be a first round pick.

Last edited:

CrimsonJazz

All-American
May 27, 2022
He's been a head scratcher for sure. Was he overrated as a recruit? Was his development stunted by coaching? Does he not have the mentality to hack it at a place like Alabama? Very strange situation.
My understanding is that not only is he struggling to add weight to his frame, he has been injury-prone as well. Player evaluations also took a hit during the time we were recruiting him thanks to COVID. Recruiting services can make up whatever nonsense they want, but good coaches aren't the least bit concerned about what the "experts" think. I feel like a lot of players simply weren't properly evaluated due to restrictions at the time and this is the result. Just my opinion, tho.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
That's about it. Ricks played well late in the year when he got in, but wasn't the 1st round talent he was expected to be.

Burton seemed to be a drag on the team to me. His production wasn't worth the bad press of slapping a female UT fan.

The only guy that transferred out and was productive that I can think of was Shane Lee at USC.

*EDIT* Derp. I forgot about Drew Sanders. That guy might be a first round pick.
Oh yeah I forgot about Sanders as well. That was a big one.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

I'd say the only straight up 'Miss' right now for us is Harrell but that's injury related.

Henry To'o To'o was also very good for us at times. Tbh when he struggled most he was asked to do things he shouldn't have been asked.

Burton put up almost the exact same numbers as he did at UGA

I don't know why it took so long for Ricks to start but in the end he worked out and became a starter.

Jamo and Gibbs were obvious Homeruns.

Then with the notable outs:

Drew Sanders became a starter at Arky
Javon Baker had a solid year at UCF
Shane Lee had a solid year at USCw
Joseph Bulovas was Solid for 2 years at Vandy

I won't name anyone else because they either found out they weren't good enough to climb anyone elses's D1 Depth chart either OR they completely flamed out and are looking to move again.

Our biggest loss was probably Sanders and that we couldn't find a way to keep him on the field.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'd say the only straight up 'Miss' right now for us is Harrell but that's injury related.

Henry To'o To'o was also very good for us at times. Tbh when he struggled most he was asked to do things he shouldn't have been asked.

Burton put up almost the exact same numbers as he did at UGA

I don't know why it took so long for Ricks to start but in the end he worked out and became a starter.

Jamo and Gibbs were obvious Homeruns.

Then with the notable outs:

Drew Sanders became a stat at Arky
Javon Baker had a solid year at UCF
Shane Lee had a solid year at USC
Joseph Bulovas was Solid for 2 years at Vandy

I won't name anyone else because they either found out they weren't good enough to climb any one elses's D1 Depth chart either OR they completely flamed out and are looking to move again.

Our biggest loss was probably Sanders and that we couldn't find a way to keep him on the field.
To'oTo'o was a solid pick up for us. He knew defense and without him, we would've struggled a lot in past 2 years.
Ricks was injured. He didn't know defense either, and that complicated things.
Sanders- Transferred because he wanted to play different position, only to end up playing same position Saban wanted to play him at. Sander made a dumb decision. He would've started for us this year. He was upgrade over Moody. This was on Sanders, not Alabama for this.
Baker- Had issues at Alabama. Always in Doghouse. He's not a miss.
Shane Lee- Dude couldn't find a path to playing time at Alabama. He did well at USC.
Bulovas- Definitely not a miss. We had a better kicker.
Agiye Hall- We all know what happened
Camar Wheaton- didn't see lot of playing time this year.
Paul Tyson- Transferring again after 1 year at Arizona.
Jahleel Billingsley- Got kicked off the team at Texas
Tommy Brown- Transferred to a school who fired a coach and brought in Deion Sanders who told everyone to hit portal :)

The point is that it's normal. Sometime we have players that doesn't work out at Alabama and goes to major school and does well. sometime they don't do well. It's nature of football life.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
To'oTo'o was a solid pick up for us. He knew defense and without him, we would've struggled a lot in past 2 years.
Ricks was injured. He didn't know defense either, and that complicated things.

Sanders- Transferred because he wanted to play different position, only to end up playing same position Saban wanted to play him at. Sander made a dumb decision. He would've started for us this year. He was upgrade over Moody. This was on Sanders, not Alabama for this.

Baker- Had issues at Alabama. Always in Doghouse. He's not a miss.
Shane Lee- Dude couldn't find a path to playing time at Alabama. He did well at USC.
Bulovas- Definitely not a miss. We had a better kicker.
Agiye Hall- We all know what happened
Camar Wheaton- didn't see lot of playing time this year.
Paul Tyson- Transferring again after 1 year at Arizona.
Jahleel Billingsley- Got kicked off the team at Texas
Tommy Brown- Transferred to a school who fired a coach and brought in Deion Sanders who told everyone to hit portal :)

The point is that it's normal. Sometime we have players that doesn't work out at Alabama and goes to major school and does well. sometime they don't do well. It's nature of football life.
I disagree with you strongly over Drew.

He went and played for a DC who knows what the hell they are doing and he turned him into a Borderline 1st Round NFL pick.

Barry Odom has fielded legit Top 10 Ds with MUCH LESS talent than Golding.

Golding was NEVER going to create a situation for Drew to thrive.

Drew made a smart choice and the loss IS on Alabama.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.