New Coach DeBoer Era: What're Your Expectations for 2024?

Coach25

1st Team
Sep 1, 2014
For me my hope is we look to become more consistent than last year, but I hope we get better throughout the year like last years team. We had a lot of roller coaster moments.

1) Be consistent week in and week out.
2) Win the games we should win.
3) Be competitive in all ballgames and have a chance to win no matter the opponent.
4) Continue to grow throughout the year.
5) Make bowl game.
6) Win double digit games.
7) Make it to Atlanta for the SEC Championship.
8) Win the SEC Championship.
9) Make playoffs.
10) Win playoff game.
11) Make it to Championship game.
12) Win Championship.

I expect us to make it to level 5, between level 5 and level 6 is where my expectations are right now. If we win double digits, I think we will make level 9 even without 7 or 8, but I’d like to have those as well. 😂

22Musso22

1st Team
Sep 2, 2023
With our talent, a mediocre coach could get 8 wins out of our 2024 schedule.

Here's hoping that DeBoer is a lot better than a mediocre coach.

Reactions: CrimsonRuss

GboyBama

3rd Team
May 7, 2010
Mobile, AL
Then why bother making the comparison?
Because anything can happen. I guess it's verboten to say out loud, but we can't tell from here how deeply the DeBoer regime will have to retool in order to fully implement what they want.

I mean, I hope there's no bump in the road and we win 'em all! I've just learned to temper my expectations when there are fundamental changes in any organization.

Basically, I'm not convinced this is going to be a "Les Miles" situation, where everything just magically hums along with complete continuity (for years anyway).

Coach25

1st Team
Sep 1, 2014
With our talent, a mediocre coach could get 8 wins out of our 2024 schedule.

Here's hoping that DeBoer is a lot better than a mediocre coach.
Possibly but arguably one of our most talented teams under Saban had 3 loses. (2010) and that was with the GOAT. It Will all depend on so many factors including injuries, new coaches and coordinators, players gelling wihh th each other, young players stepping up, consistency, cataching a few breaks, avoiding a few bad breaks, etc.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
With the changing SEC landscape/schedule it really makes it harder to predict. Going to Norman in November could be the difference in 10-2 or 9-3. I mean, realistically, any SEC game is a potential loss, but this year will be different in so many ways.
I agree with BamaMoon's post. I see two losses right now, UGA and LSU. Oklahoma on the road and Mizzou at home could go either way. 9-3 worst case record.

Bama1971Stan!

Nov 27, 2023
I feel really optimistic about his first year. Loads of talent on defense with a less complex system should let all that talent play more freely. Lots of talent across the board on offense, so long as the o line can gel and the offense is clicking by georgia the sky is truly the limit.

Reactions: Rocky Mtn Bob

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Two reasons I think we could challenge for the SEC and CFP next year:

1. Coaching staff/system - It's very good. From HC to position coaches. Feel like the D will surprise and O will improve and if things click early we'll be an offensive juggernaut!

2. CKD history - not only has he won but he's won quickly. With our roster (even despite a few losses to the portal) I think we can have a really strong year in his first year.

Two reasons I think it could be challenging:

1. SEC schedule. New coaching staff facing the SEC grind will be different. Players used to "peaking" at predictable times like TSIO or first and last week in Nov. will be adjusting to new demands.

2. The offense gets out of the gate slow. It could be due to learning a new system or figuring out the QB rotation, but a slow start could yield some early/mid-season losses.

Reactions: Bama1971Stan!

Scobaman

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 25, 2010
Even though our defense could be a weakness this year, we will have much better talent on that side of the ball than Washington had. Once the defensive staff has a few games together and working with the defense, they should be OK. DL and LB's will be solid but the defensive backfield will take a while. The offense will carry the load if needed. Washington won with offense while giving up almost 400 yards per game last season.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
We've got a transition year.

We've got an upgrade, across the board, in on field coaching.

We still have more talent than most of our opponents.

Hopefully we've purged any locker room problems.

We also have a heck of a tough schedule.

I'm hoping for no more than 2 losses during the regular season....and sneaking into the playoff.

Reactions: Tidelines

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I've already given my predictions earlier in the thread of 9-3 floor and 11-1 ceiling for regular season.

But regardless of recrd, CKD will be working with the most talent he ever has in his first year. He's proven from a coaching stand point he can match coaching skills with the top P5 programs coaches, now he just has more talent to do that with.

Reactions: CrimsonRuss

AWRTR

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2022
I agree with BamaMoon's post. I see two losses right now, UGA and LSU. Oklahoma on the road and Mizzou at home could go either way. 9-3 worst case record.
I they beat LSU. I am worried about Mizzou. They have a good coach.

AlabamaBEN11

Scout Team
May 8, 2020
I think how we play against Georgia will really determine how the rest of the season goes.

That said, if Grubb stays... I feel really good about our changes against Georgia. You know CKD will be asking Saban a lot of questions and Saban will happily give answers on how to beat Georgia. Don't forget we have that in our back pocket.

I see no reason why we would lose to Wisconsin.

Hard to predict Tenn, LSU, and AU. Saban played them one way, KD may play them another. But if we have a high power offense and aggressive defense, I again think it's very plausible we win those games.

Summary: With the carry over talent, some good offense to make a young secondary, but talented secondary getting better all season, I see no reason why we can't make the playoffs. I'd be happy with that.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I agree with the talent level assessment. OTOH, the schedule Stallings and Saban faced was nothing compared to the one DeBoer will face next year: @Wisc, UGA, @UTn, good Mizz, @LSU, @OU, AU. 5 of those are in the top 17 in the ?ESPN 2024 preseason listing.
I think this is where we'll find out how good of a coach we have in CKD and the quality of staff he's assembled. The talent is there, but can the staff coach and communicate well enough that by fall the offense and defense barely looks "new" because of how well the players have learned it. I don't expect perfection but I also don't expect a comedy of errors either.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I think this is where we'll find out how good of a coach we have in CKD and the quality of staff he's assembled. The talent is there, but can the staff coach and communicate well enough that by fall the offense and defense barely looks "new" because of how well the players have learned it. I don't expect perfection but I also don't expect a comedy of errors either.
IMO, CKD is at least a top 5 game coach - number 1 in the SEC. The only question is: Do Alabama players, not just the QB but the entire offense, have the football IQ to digest the offense? If so, it will be a surprise if Alabama does not out-coach every SEC team. With that, 2 OTs :), and apart from injuries and a surprising collapse of the defense, they should be a contender for the SEC and national titles.

IMO, Alabama will not only have a chip on its shoulder but cohesion like no other program in the country. The players will have great confidence in the staff, thus in what they are doing. But how the QB competition is handled will tell all. Not even who it is, but how it is handled, thus, how the players respond. CKD "seems" to be the perfect man for the job - similar to CNS in his strengths, and opposite where CNS's overstated and often misunderstood shortcomings are.

Reactions: BamaMoon

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.