No Profanity — How many times do we go over this?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
OK, I just had to delete a post from the Football board for profanity. It happens about 4-5 times a year, and I fail to understand why. Every single member attests to having read and understood the site rules. They clearly prohibit profanity. What about that is unclear?

There are plenty of boards that will allow profanity. This is TideFans. We don’t. If you can’t refrain from posting that language, please take your business to one of them.

To be abundantly transparent, neither creative use of symbols, nor creative transposition of syllables, nor alternative spellings, nor any other subterfuge designed to circumvent the automated filters, will get you off the hook.

If you wouldn’t use the word or phrase when speaking to a Sunday School class of 10-year-olds, don’t use it here. If you feel the need to use symbols, transposition, alternative spellings or other cute dances, that's probably a good indication you need to change the wording.

Just don’t post profanity….how stinkin' hard is this?

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
There are other boards? I never knew...this is the only one in my universe...and this is one of the reasons...
I have visited 2 other sites since joining Tidefans. They were awful in every way. One had a thread specifically about Tidefans and how they were banned. They called us "high brow" and stuck-up. They complained that we used "big words" where they needed a dictionary to look up what we were talkjng about. Plus they complained about not being able to use foul language. I never joined their low brow site. I prefer it here.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I have visited 2 other sites since joining Tidefans. They were awful in every way. One had a thread specifically about Tidefans and how they were banned. They called us "high brow" and stuck-up. They complained that we used "big words" where they needed a dictionary to look up what we were talkjng about. Plus they complained about not being able to use foul language. I never joined their low brow site. I prefer it here.
Probably the playground bullies still upset about the quiet kid punching them in the mouth in front of the other "Cool Kids"

Reactions: Bama75&80

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Well, I feel like I am high class on tidefans then. I do feel more educated reading some threads on here. Some of the guys I talk to that go to these other forums don't what is going on. They just kind of throw crap on the wall to see if it is going to stick.

Reactions: seebell

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
If they’re talking about TF like that, I don’t think they’d add much to the discourse here.

Both we and they are better off with them where they are.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I appreciate your firm stand on common decency.
Thanks, but as Mrs. Basket Case would tell you, I use more profanity at home than I should.

The thing is, that's my house. Unless it's a longtime friend, I don't use profanity when I'm a guest at someone else's house. Even if it is a longtime friend, it's only when the two of us are talking, never in front of his family or other guests.

Here on TideFans, I feel like it's kind of a come-and-go party hosted by BamaNation at his house. His house, his rules.

Plus, I truly believe the rules make the whole experience more informative and beneficial for everyone. See below.

Before I found this forum I was on a popular forum years ago. It was constant drama, name calling, slamming players and coaches. There was one poster who every post was a downer and how we could never be anything special again and argued with anyone who disagreed. After I found this forum I never went back to that slime pit.
I too was a refugee from another site. It had some good posters who were able to generate reliable information and worthwhile discussion.

But the Eeyores, doomsdayers, and negative nellies kind of took over and just wouldn't stop. And if you tried to present an alternative view, no matter how diplomatically, they took it as a personal insult and responded with astonishing personally-directed vitriol.

On several occasions, I begged the owner of the site to enforce the stated rules. But it was a pay forum, and his livelihood depended on it. So he was afraid of losing subscribers.

I argued that he would gain far more than he lost if he enforced some decorum -- at the time, I wasn't aware of the internet term, "moderation". Told him that, kind of like when the pubs in Ireland had to prohibit smoking, they lost some smokers, but gained far more in the way of families and non-smokers. Pub owners had feared that No Smoking would shut them down. But it was actually a pretty significant net positive.

The owner of the site disagreed -- actually, he just quit responding to me. So when my subscription ran out, I stopped pressing my forehead against a band sander, and declined to renew.

The next several months were spent wandering in the football forum wilderness, until I ran across TideFans. Hard to believe that was over 17 years ago.

BTW -- the site I left due to lack of moderation still exists. I bet it's the one you left.

Last edited:

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
I think the site was Tidesports.com and it was free. It later changed to something else but I don't remember what it changed to. The worse poster had an eeyore for his picture and went by DD4Bama
Thanks, but as Mrs. Basket Case would tell you, I use more profanity at home than I should.

The thing is, that's my house. Unless it's a longtime friend, I don't use profanity when I'm a guest at someone else's house. Even if it is a longtime friend, it's only when the two of us are talking, never in front of his family or other guests.

Here on TideFans, I feel like it's kind of a come-and-go party hosted by BamaNation at his house. His house, his rules.

Plus, I truly believe the rules make the whole experience more informative and beneficial for everyone. See below.

I too was a refugee from another site. It had some good posters who were able to generate reliable information and worthwhile discussion.

But the Eeyores, doomsdayers, and negative nellies kind of took over and just wouldn't stop. And if you tried to present an alternative view, no matter how diplomatically, they took it as a personal insult and responded with astonishing personally-directed vitriol.

On several occasions, I begged the owner of the site to enforce the stated rules. But it was a pay forum, and his livelihood depended on it. So he was afraid of losing subscribers.

I argued that he would gain far more than he lost if he enforced some decorum -- at the time, I wasn't aware of the internet term, "moderation". Told him that, kind of like when the pubs in Ireland had to prohibit smoking, they lost some smokers, but gained far more in the way of families and non-smokers. Pub owners had feared that No Smoking would shut them down. But it was actually a pretty significant net positive.

The owner of the site disagreed -- actually, he just quit responding to me. So when my subscription ran out, I stopped pressing my forehead against a band sander, and declined to renew.

The next several months were spent wandering in the football forum wilderness, until I ran across TideFans. Hard to believe that was over 17 years ago.

BTW -- the site I left due to lack of moderation still exists. I bet it's the one you left.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I agree with 4QBasketCase...
It's hard for me to comply. After dealing with Criminals and Druggies, for more than 40 years... It's sometimes tough for me to comply with Tide Fan Standards, so my post get long and wordy to keep from saying the first thing that comes to mind. My favorite thing about our forum is It's Ladies and Kid friendly. That way we don't have to explain certain things to young children. That's enough for me.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
I agree with 4QBasketCase...
It's hard for me to comply. After dealing with Criminals and Druggies, for more than 40 years... It's sometimes tough for me to comply with Tide Fan Standards, so my post get long and wordy to keep from saying the first thing that comes to mind. My favorite thing about our forum is It's Ladies and Kid friendly. That way we don't have to explain certain things to young children. That's enough for me.
No doubt, I’m a professional sailor and can speak like it in the right circumstances. This rule is one of favorite things about TF. My 14 yo son is a football junkie and I’m always handing him my phone, “check out his discussion” and never worry at all

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
Surely such cretins should take to the challenge of employing reference and committing what they find to memory and their betterment, rather that absconding to more lax virtual locales and consequentially abrogating their duty to expand their serviceable verbiage.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
thanks all for affirming what I believed 23+ years ago when I wrote down the rules that we still abide by! And MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY thanks to 4Q & all of our mods & admins for turning "policy" into "action" each and every day .... and to all of you who come here and appreciate our cultural norms! :) Fortunately, there is enough room in this universe for all different types of dialogue and we don't have to degrade TF just to meet somebody else's "cultural norm":D

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Surely such cretins should take to the challenge of employing reference and committing what they find to memory and their betterment, rather that absconding to more lax virtual locales and consequentially abrogating their duty to expand their serviceable verbiage.

What???? :LOL::ROFLMAO::love:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.