Off season roster moves

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
Miles made a lot of progress last year. Hopefully that continues this year and we start getting more quality minutes. Absolutely possible he could grow into a major contributor. CNO seems to have no problem telling players when it's time to move on and he hasn't sent Miles away. Tells me he's seeing something he likes, long-term.

I was rather hoping Ellis would pull out of the draft and fill that last roster spot.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I think he just needs to mature. We need to remember that he was just a sophomore. Not everyone develops at fast rate. We will have 2 more years of him. You need those types of players in your program.

The same set of people that get mad at one and done players also get mad when a player isn’t NBA caliber in his first or second year. Sometimes it takes time to develop.
You are way over simplifying why someone might be disappointed in Miles’ play

I’m not looking for NBA caliber. I am looking for the ability to drive without getting the ball stolen. I am looking for the ability not to lag and jog up and down the court. I am looking for the ability to play consistent defense. I am looking for someone to shoot over 40%.

Those are not NBA level requests.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think he just needs to mature. We need to remember that he was just a sophomore. Not everyone develops at fast rate. We will have 2 more years of him. You need those types of players in your program.

The same set of people that get mad at one and done players also get mad when a player isn’t NBA caliber in his first or second year. Sometimes it takes time to develop.
Case in point - who would have ever thought Herb Jones would have become such a complete player until his senior year???

We saw the potential, especially in his effort and defensive abilities, but he became completely different when his offensive game finally blossomed.

Reactions: NationalTitles18

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I’m not looking for NBA caliber. I am looking for the ability to drive without getting the ball stolen. I am looking for the ability not to lag and jog up and down the court. I am looking for the ability to play consistent defense. I am looking for someone to shoot over 40%.

I think we all want to see Miles just show more effort and intangibles of a good college player.

Consistency too! For every good thing he does it seems he follows it with a serious mistake. His game is like my golf game...when I make a birdie I'll often follow with double on the next hole. :)

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States

Which are all signs of maturity. Which is why I said he needs to mature. I also wasn’t just speaking on Miles or to you in general.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Case in point - who would have ever thought Herb Jones would have become such a complete player until his senior year???

We saw the potential, especially in his effort and defensive abilities, but he became completely different when his offensive game finally blossomed.
Apples and oranges. Herb was the best defender on the team from day 1. He was being talked about as having potential of being an NBA first round draft pick after scoring double digit points against nationally ranked OU (probably even before then). Miles has shown some raw ability but in 2 years has not done anything to remotely suggest that he could be an NBA player one day.

Reactions: CrimSonami

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Herb showed effort and defensive prowess from the start. Not a fair comparison. Especially to Herb.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Apples and oranges. Herb was the best defender on the team from day 1. He was being talked about as having potential of being an NBA first round draft pick after scoring double digit points against nationally ranked OU (probably even before then). Miles has shown some raw ability but in 2 years has not done anything to remotely suggest that he could be an NBA player one day.
Herb showed effort and defensive prowess from the start. Not a fair comparison. Especially to Herb.
I knew someone would raise this objection. I thought the same thing when I first consider it. But hear me out.

Miles has shown a lot more offensive abilities than Herb in his first two years. However, he hasn't got as many minutes as Herb did in his first two years. This is probably due to Herb's defensive skills/effort but also the talent level Herb's first couple of years is nowhere close to where we are today.

Concerning Herb's offensive skills, he never developed until his senior year. At one point (I remember posting about this) I never thought Herb could develop an outside shot. He was probably the biggest brick layer I remember in recent years. But, to my amazement, he became a much better shooter his senior year. But it took that long for him to develop.

Miles has some offensive ability already. It still needs to improve. I agree his effort on defense has been lacking and has probably kept him on the bench at times. I just hope he matures and CNO can get him to understand how he can become a complete player.

The question is can Miles pull it together on defense the way Herb did on offense?

Last edited:
Reactions: BamaMike05

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
The deadline for pulling out of the draft has now passed so we won't be getting any of our guys to fill that last spot. The kid from Boise St may be the answer. Listed as a 6-8 guard kind of reminds me of Herb. Wonder how he is on defense. We need someone that can do the dirty work and we need someone that can play lock-down defense on the other teams big guards.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
The deadline for pulling out of the draft has now passed so we won't be getting any of our guys to fill that last spot. The kid from Boise St may be the answer. Listed as a 6-8 guard kind of reminds me of Herb. Wonder how he is on defense. We need someone that can do the dirty work and we need someone that can play lock-down defense on the other teams big guards.
His DBPM is good

Reactions: BamaMike05

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.