Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
The Bo Nix experiment better work for Gus. I mean, he gave LSU a good run for the money last weekend, enough that I actually muttered "a win here gives Gus another contract extension". That didn't happen. Ideally, they finish 10-2. That's they want down there. But 8-4 is more realistic, followed by blowing out someone in a bowl game, giving all the Malzahnettes around Birmingham a warm dose of the fuzzies. They all look like him anyway, complete with thin rim spectacles and sweater vests.

I really need to move, I think.

My point with all that drivel before is that, without Gatewood, a bad run for Nix would be the kind of thing that AU would use as ammo to run Malzahn off. They wanted to so badly last year, but it just costs too much money for the goobers. So, here we are. Odd year, record not panning out, though they have been immensely competitive, and could easily be 8-0 right now.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Gatewood finish the season or has he left the team? If he's left the team, who is the backup QB?
Joxfm just had someone on that said he was "gone". Mentioned it yesterday...was told to sleep on it and not make rash decision, so he did and notified them today that he is gone. Roster says there's 2 frosh qb's trey lindsey and cord sandberg and a sr will appleton. I guess one of them?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Joxfm just had someone on that said he was "gone". Mentioned it yesterday...was told to sleep on it and not make rash decision, so he did and notified them today that he is gone. Roster says there's 2 frosh qb's trey lindsey and cord sandberg and a sr will appleton. I guess one of them?
sanberg is #2 and Lindsey is not ready. they will likely use wildcat approach. DJ Williams used to be a QB.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I guess what I'm saying is that Gus is going to have to hire a QB coach and change his offense completely similar to what LSU did last year.... Gus is pulling a Les Mile move....
Gus will ride or die with Bo Nix. if you're a QB looking at auburn, be prepared to hold the clipboard or play in mop up duty ( if that, Gatewood didn't see much of that either) for the next 2 years or more.
Gus is too stubborn to change the offense to fit Nix's skills. after the loss to lsu, he said Nix executed the offense the way it was drawn up. man, no wondered the fan base is furious!

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
sanberg is #2 and Lindsey is not ready. they will likely use wildcat approach. DJ Williams used to be a QB.
So, if Nix gets hurt, Malzan's offense is basically reduced to Pop Warner ball - put your best athlete at QB and let him run around with the ball, maybe throw a pass every now and then.

Yikes!

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
So, if Nix gets hurt, Malzan's offense is basically reduced to Pop Warner ball - put your best athlete at QB and let him run around with the ball, maybe throw a pass every now and then.

Yikes!
He had to keep poppa nix happy. I've heard his little brother is pretty good too. Nix applied for our head coach position this past winter, but i'm glad his wife told him if they were moving anywhere, it would be closer to au.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
He had to keep poppa nix happy. I've heard his little brother is pretty good too. Nix applied for our head coach position this past winter, but i'm glad his wife told him if they were moving anywhere, it would be closer to au.
Nix coached at my high school before going to Pinson Valley. Bo was the starting QB for the varsity when he was in the 8th grade. There were some parents of some of the players who didn't care for that too much. But he did a good job overall during his time at Scottsboro.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I guess what I'm saying is that Gus is going to have to hire a QB coach and change his offense completely similar to what LSU did last year.... Gus is pulling a Les Mile move....
I agree. I am going to have to edit my post. He had a talented QB down there the last 2 years in spite of Gus.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I'm not going to defend Gus in a problem of his own making - but - the hysterical Auburn fanbase were demanding Nix, and would have blamed Gus if he had played Gatewood and lost to Oregon. As it was, Nix played a truly bad game, and then won with an unlikely comeback, which was probably the worst thing that could have happened for Nix's development.

Auburn was not going to be that good on offense this year, which is a shame for them given the quality of their defense. They would have been better off going with experience, developing Nix more slowly and putting him in packages. Instead, he has developed kind of a savior complex, but he is a long long way from being that good.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
... they have been immensely competitive, and could easily be 8-0 right now.
The LSU-Barn game was not as close as the score indicated. LSU made some dumb red zone decisions that kept things close than they had a right to be. The Barn's defense is good, but their offense is a mess (even though there are some talented players there as well).

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Nix coached at my high school before going to Pinson Valley. Bo was the starting QB for the varsity when he was in the 8th grade. There were some parents of some of the players who didn't care for that too much. But he did a good job overall during his time at Scottsboro.
Always heard he did very good at the 'boro, even as an 8th grader. But there's always that daddy ball thing hanging in the background...

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
True, but the boogs threw a pick in the ez/on the one too...
The LSU-Barn game was not as close as the score indicated. LSU made some dumb red zone decisions that kept things close than they had a right to be. The Barn's defense is good, but their offense is a mess (even though there are some talented players there as well).

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
First, what does leaving now get Gatewood? He can't red shirt and he can't go anywhere right now. He's an injury away from being the guy so, why not tough it out for another month then leave?

I think the transfer portal has been a mixed bag for college football. I think there are a lot of selfish kids who bolt when they don't get their way. I can't say that for Gatewood, I feel bad for him. He put in a year with this team, earning his time and then a name on a jersey swoops in and takes it away.

Poor AU fans, it's been the same story for a few years now. Good to great defense that keeps them in games but, an offense that continues to trip over itself. Maybe they should hire an offensive genius... oh wait.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
The Barners are out in full force on the Finebaum show abusing Malzhan overall and how he handled Gatewood. He better win out or his time is over.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
The Barners are out in full force on the Finebaum show abusing Malzhan overall and how he handled Gatewood. He better win out or his time is over.
You could be right, Jack, but I`ll respectfully disagree. I believe if he beats either ​Bama or UGA, all is forgiven. At least for this year.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.