Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
Like Stidham, Nix is better than his coaching. I think he will be good regardless, but could much better in a different system. Biggest question, can he survive SEC defensive speed.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Like Stidham, Nix is better than his coaching. I think he will be good regardless, but could much better in a different system. Biggest question, can he survive SEC defensive speed.
Exactly. everything else on Nix is just fodder on a football board. when the proverbial you know what hits the fan, we will know soon enough what he is made of.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I don't see how we could not. We have not seen him play one play against a college defense. Those who expect him to be a good runner w/o seeing him play against a college defense yet are the ones who need to check themselves. He may be Manziel or Hurts but........
Hurts was quick and smooth when he ran. Manziel was very elusive. Marshall was fast. Does Nix possess any of those attributes ?? we shall see...

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I'm sure I haven't watched his highlights/Tape anywhere near as much as the average AU fan..... but to me he looks to have upside along the lines of a McKenzie Milton or Baker Mayfield type QB.

By that I mean he looks very fluid and mobile in the pocket..... and out of it.... scrambling to buy time to make throws on the run.

I haven't seen any freakish runs like Kyler Murray or Lamar Jackson flashed frequently but again I haven't watched all his footage.

He no doubt has Talent.

Granted, he was not facing SEC level defenses, but when I saw Bo Nix playing HS ball I was extremely impressed with both his poise and ability to extend plays with his legs. He may not be the equivalent of Jalen and certainly not Manziel, but he doesn’t have to be their equal to be effective. The question is—can he run Malzahn’s O? From what I’ve seen of him, I think that he can.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Granted, he was not facing SEC level defenses, but when I saw Bo Nix playing HS ball I was extremely impressed with both his poise and ability to extend plays with his legs. He may not be the equivalent of Jalen and certainly not Manziel, but he doesn’t have to be their equal to be effective. The question is—can he run Malzahn’s O? From what I’ve seen of him, I think that he can.
I am sure he can extend plays and I do not doubt he has poise. Lets just wait to see what happens when much larger, faster and harder hitting humans are chasing and hitting him. In Gus's offense he is going to get hit a lot.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I am sure he can extend plays and I do not doubt he has poise. Lets just wait to see what happens when much larger, faster and harder hitting humans are chasing and hitting him. In Gus's offense he is going to get hit a lot.
Exactly....all we know is he was really good in HS against good competition.

But unless you've ever competed on a college-level you can't account for how much different the competition level is.

And when it comes to college QBs, there's absolutely no way to really measure how they'll respond until put into the heat of competition. Probably the hardest position to predict success in any college sport.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
By the end of September the fam will have dubbed him Bo Cam and they'll have the greatest quarterback in AU history set for a four year run with at least two heismans. If they are able to whittle together a running game to keep defenses honest and at home, they will have enough to contend and more importantly keep the fam from spending too much time thinking about why they fired Leath.
Egomaniacal shameless self bump ---- with Tulane and Kent State standing between Auburn and Texas A&M, the chatter is already at a roar. If they start 4 -0, I feel really sorry for those of you living in the state of Alabama. It'll be insufferable.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Heard on the radio coming into work this morning that Awbrens' Gatewood wasn't at practice Tuesday and may be on to greener pastures. (Pun intended)
Don't think anyone will be surprised if Gatewood is headed to the transfer portal. He is not going to play at auburn since Nix is the "legacy QB". The other reason he will probably leave is that he is not going to get any QB coaching from Malzahn or his staff because they do not know what they are doing. If he is smart he will be entering the portal ASAP.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
He can’t develop quarterbacks that’s obviously. The guy last year is the backup at NE and played for him for 2 seasons. lol
I guess what I'm saying is that Gus is going to have to hire a QB coach and change his offense completely similar to what LSU did last year.... Gus is pulling a Les Mile move....

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I guess what I'm saying is that Gus is going to have to hire a QB coach and change his offense completely similar to what LSU did last year.... Gus is pulling a Les Mile move....
But Le Smiles is smiling these days. And Goos is...goosing the spirit of Clark Shaughnessy to get the QB back into the Straight T as another of his great high school offense retrovations! Or - given his handling of and acclaimed mastery for the position - should that be Ruh-Roh-vations? ...

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Will Gatewood finish the season or has he left the team? If he's left the team, who is the backup QB?

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.