Rod Bramblett and Wife in Serious Car Accident; Wife Passes Away (Update: Both Pass Away)

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
Can they prove he was high? (Answer: no they cannot)

If he was driving reckless, that is enough for a conviction. The marijuana stuff just seems like the DA trying turn the screws and goad a plea deal so they can get some adaboys from the partisan locals.
Really? this is your response to a young man possibly being high and killing two people? Partisan attaboy?
Man, I work for an insurance company and see this mess all the time. Those of you who have the delusion that pot doesn't affect you, You're dead wrong (pun kind of intended for emphasis)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Really? this is your response to a young man possibly being high and killing two people? Partisan attaboy?
Man, I work for an insurance company and see this mess all the time. Those of you who have the delusion that pot doesn't affect you, You're dead wrong (pun kind of intended for emphasis)
You know that you can have traces of THC in your body for a month or more without being high? I don't trust the intentions of prosecutors implicitly.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Note, I'm not saying he shouldn't be prosecuted but simply that piling on all possible charges no matter how flimsy they are is general order 1 for prosecutors. They intend to overwhelm the defense and encourage plea deals with this tactic. There isn't - to my knowledge - a THC analogue to the breathalyzer that can reasonably deduce the intoxication level of an alcohol drinker at or near the time of incident. He may have been high but I don't think they can prove it unless there was smoldering joint in his car. I wouldn't buy this narrative, by what we know, hook line and sinker even if he had ran over my mom and dad.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Not that any amount of money can be equated to a human life, but I’m wondering how much of a civil lawsuit is being prepared and will this kid’s parents be on the hook as defendants?
Research negligent entrustment. The answer is maybe the parents may be liable. For example if the kid has a dangerous driving history and they continued to let him drive, they knew he was high as a kite etc.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Note, I'm not saying he shouldn't be prosecuted but simply that piling on all possible charges no matter how flimsy they are is general order 1 for prosecutors. They intend to overwhelm the defense and encourage plea deals with this tactic. There isn't - to my knowledge - a THC analogue to the breathalyzer that can reasonably deduce the intoxication level of an alcohol drinker at or near the time of incident. He may have been high but I don't think they can prove it unless there was smoldering joint in his car. I wouldn't buy this narrative, by what we know, hook line and sinker even if he had ran over my mom and dad.
I agree that prosecutors pile on charges to encourage plea deals. Was the kid charged with driving under the influence or was it merely stated that he tested positive for marijuana? You know, in Alabama,the amount of marijuana you can legally have in your system? Zero. Marijuana is illegal in Alabama.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I agree that prosecutors pile on charges to encourage plea deals. Was the kid charged with driving under the influence or was it merely stated that he tested positive for marijuana? You know, in Alabama,the amount of marijuana you can legally have in your system? Zero. Marijuana is illegal in Alabama.
He’s only been charged with manslaughter. Was only mentioned he tested positive for marijuana.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/2...eed-police-say-charged-with-manslaughter.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Wife talked to a friend that works for the Department of Forensic Science and was told the test would have been urine or blood if he went to the hospital.

The main question would be how strong the results were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Data shows teen was traveling 91 mph when he hit Brambletts’ SUV

New court documents indicate the speed 16-year-old Johnston Edward Taylor was traveling when his SUV slammed into the back of Rod Bramblett’s Toyota, killing him and his wife, Paula, on May 25.

According to an affidavit, following the crash the Auburn Police Department obtained search warrants to extract the Electronic Data Recording Modules from both Taylor’s 2011 Jeep Cherokee Laredo and the Brambletts’ 2017 Toyota Highlander.

The modules act in a similar manner to an airplane’s black box, recording some data about a vehicle’s actions that can be extracted for review following a crash.

When the data was analyzed by the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency, it was determined that Taylor’s Jeep was accelerating from 89 mph to 91 mph, with no signs of any braking, when he hit the back of the Highlander.

The posted speed limit in the area of Shug Jordan Parkway where the double-fatal crash happened is 55 mph.

Additionally, prior to Taylor’s arrest Monday on two counts of manslaughter, Auburn police received results of its Toxicology Analysis Report on a blood sample taken while Taylor was being treated for non-life-threatening injuries at a hospital the evening of the crash.

The blood, sent to the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences for testing, found THC, the primary psychoactive component of marijuana “and is indicative of recent usage of Marijuana at the time of the collision on May 25th 2019.”

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
No excuses for going 91 in a 55. This is more “teen thinks nothing bad can happen to him” attitude. Now he gets to learn the hard way, I hope he spends a long time in jail.

91 freaking miles per hour!! That would be ridiculous on the interstate. I’m probably in the minority but, I have no sympathy for this kid. Play stupid games...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I’m probably in the minority but, I have no sympathy for this kid. Play stupid games...
I hate that's he's likely thrown his life away.

Maybe you've never had teenagers or yours never made choices that resulted in something like this, but it's sad that two people died and a third will likely never be able to live a normal life due to this. I'm not excusing what he did, I'm simply saying I'm more forgiving about this than if were done by an adult with a fully developed brain.

No winners here.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I hate that's he's likely thrown his life away.

Maybe you've never had teenagers or yours never made choices that resulted in something like this, but it's sad that two people died and a third will likely never be able to live a normal life due to this. I'm not excusing what he did, I'm simply saying I'm more forgiving about this than if were done by an adult with a fully developed brain.

No winners here.
This. No doubt the kid must be punished, but there's little in the way of justice to be found here.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The best thing the kid could do if dedicate his life to helping others understand the consequences of bad choices. That'll be hard to do from a jail cell although some seems warranted.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Teens think they’re indestructible. Seen it all the time. I was always the “old soul” and had a healthy fear of all the dumb crap my friends and classmates would do.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Teens think they’re indestructible. Seen it all the time. I was always the “old soul” and had a healthy fear of all the dumb crap my friends and classmates would do.
Being a "stick in the mud" saves you from a whole lot of trouble and sometimes life-long consequences.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I know 91 is is inexcusable, but putting a 16 year old in prison is not the answer. He made a mistake. "There but by the grace of god go I" is what comes to mind. 16 year old kids do not have a fully developed brain and tend to make decisions that are impetuous and stupid. I raised 2 kids to be adults and while we were blessed for the most part, they didn't always make the best decisions as teenagers either. I feel sure he regrets what has happened and he'll carry that guilt the rest of his life. A family's life has been ruined. Are we going to make it worse by ruining another?

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I know 91 is is inexcusable, but putting a 16 year old in prison is not the answer. He made a mistake. "There but by the grace of god go I" is what comes to mind. 16 year old kids do not have a fully developed brain and tend to make decisions that are impetuous and stupid. I raised 2 kids to be adults and while we were blessed for the most part, they didn't always make the best decisions as teenagers either. I feel sure he regrets what has happened and he'll carry that guilt the rest of his life. A family's life has been ruined. Are we going to make it worse by ruining another?
That's how I feel about it too. I guess the question will really be, just how badly ruined will two families become from this?

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Classifying his act as a mistake, imo, is seriously devaluing what this kid did and offensive to the family. Mistakes are borne out of unintentional negligence. This was grossly negligent - an extreme disregard of the consequences of his actions. Even reasonable 16yr olds know this is dangerous behavior likely to produce a bad outcome. He deserves the punishment coming.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Unfortunately, nothing can be done for the Brambletts. This kid's stupidity and negligence has resulted in the loss of two lives. If he is charged in Juvenile Court he will serve no more than 5 years. I don't believe warehousing this kid for 5 years is the answer, however. More than likely he will learn how to be a criminal/gang member if incarcerated for an extended period of time. I am not diminishing the loss but vengeance is not the answer. The American system of private prisons, ridiculous sentences not appropriate to the crimes committed, has failed miserably. Building more prisons is not the answer. Real rehabilitation will do far more to salvage this young lad so that he truly learns from his mistakes and become a worthwhile member of society. If done properly, this can be very effective while by no means a walk in the park. America would do well to look to Europe where the recidivism rate is about 20% versus the U.S. rate of 80%.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.