Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
There we go, trying to spare Putin's feelings again. While we've stewed around, I'm afraid it's too late for Ukraine...
An Estonian explained the Russian mindset to me. In a shop, if a normal Estonian bumps into someone, he says, "Excuse me. I did not mean to bump into you." If the other person is a Russian, this enrages the Russian who sees weakness like a red flag before a bull.
If, on the other hand, you bump into a Russian in a shop, and say, "Watch where you are going to bastard!" and draw back a fist like you are going to beat the crap out of him, the Russian respects the show of force, feels like he is dealing with a peer, a fellow warrior, and the situation resolves itself.

Showing deference to Putin is the wrong policy.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
An Estonian explained the Russian mindset to me. In a shop, if a normal Estonian bumps into someone, he says, "Excuse me. I did not mean to bump into you." If the other person is a Russian, this enrages the Russian who sees weakness like a red flag before a bull.
If, on the other hand, you bump into a Russian in a shop, and say, "Watch where you are going to bastard!" and draw back a fist like you are going to beat the crap out of him, the Russian respects the show of force, feels like he is dealing with a peer, a fellow warrior, and the situation resolves itself.

So basically the Russians are the Klingons of Earth? Where is Lt. Riker when we need him? :D (sorry, nerds will sort of get that one)

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I get it. And you are right.
Don't appease Russia. Appeasing only enrages them. Push back, show them, "If you do not stop, you will get crushed."
They will back down.
This is what puzzles me. You (@Tidewater) know this because of what you did/do for a living. Why can’t our leaders figure this mess out? You would think they would have a solid plan put in place by now to deal with Putin.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Another anecdote - Satan is conducting a tour of hell, where many different groups are eternally being boiled alive. Sub-devils surround the vats with pitchforks, pushing the victims back in. They come to one without any devilish enforcers and the tourist asks what's going on there. Satan replies "Oh, that's the Russians. We don't have to worry about them. If one tries to get out, the others drag him back in." Another - a Russian peasant is praying to God over his misfortunes. Insult to injury, he says that his better-off neighbor has acquired a cow, of all things. So God asks the peasant what he wants him to do. The peasant replies "Kill my neighbor's cow." These have been posted, but they were timely again... :)

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Apparently a change of heart

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Apparently a change of heart

Just sending the 80km range rockets vs the 300km.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
This is what puzzles me. You (@Tidewater) know this because of what you did/do for a living. Why can’t our leaders figure this mess out? You would think they would have a solid plan put in place by now to deal with Putin.
I think it is his foreign policy advisors.
There have been plenty of times when the US were too aggressive (e.g. Kosovo and Libya come readily to mind) and I would wager that President-elect Biden told his search committee he wanted advisors who would not search for the globe for conflicts the US could join or instigate.
The thing is there is a time for restraint and a time for firmness. Nobody wants thermonuclear war, but nobody wants a world in which big countries can invade and butcher their smaller neighbors just because they want their neighbor's land.

• Thank You
Reactions: MobtownK and Con

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Just sending the 80km range rockets vs the 300km.
From the article:
The United States is providing Ukraine with high mobility artillery rocket systems that can accurately hit targets as far away as 80 km (50 miles) after Ukraine gave "assurances" they will not use the missiles to strike inside Russia, senior administration officials said.
IOW, the Russians can launch attacks from inside Russia with impunity until they actually are across the border.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.