Russia Invades Ukraine IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
I get it. And you are right.
Don't appease Russia. Appeasing only enrages them. Push back, show them, "If you do not stop, you will get crushed."
They will back down.
So Russians are basically Philadelphians.

Many years ago, I took in a Cardinals away series with the Phillies. My impression of Philadelphia folks: never say, "Excuse me" when you bump into someone, or walk in front of you in the stands. If you are a cop, your 1st response is always a smartass remark, especially if you are not Anglo-Saxon.

A couple of my friends were with me. One of them Puerto Rican. She asked a cop for directions, and the cop laid into her, "If you would READ THE SIGN, it will tell you that the subway is THAT WAY!!" I walked up and got in his face, and said, "Hey, all she was asking was directions!" The cop, seeing that he had been challenged, lightened up and proceeded to politely tell me the directions.

Reactions: Tidewater

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I do not get it. Probably any of our presidents (except for Trump) in the past 60 years would have pounced on a weakened Russia. Biden wants to keep playing nice when it is obvious that Russia views niceness as weakness.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I do not get it. Probably any of our presidents (except for Trump) in the past 60 years would have pounced on a weakened Russia. Biden wants to keep playing nice when it is obvious that Russia views niceness as weakness.
:rolleyes:

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Am I going to sound like a broken record? Russia has a huge arsenal of nukes. The reason we never went to war with the Soviet Union was Mutual Assured Destruction.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
So Russians are basically Philadelphians.

Many years ago, I took in a Cardinals away series with the Phillies. My impression of Philadelphia folks: never say, "Excuse me" when you bump into someone, or walk in front of you in the stands. If you are a cop, your 1st response is always a smartass remark, especially if you are not Anglo-Saxon.

A couple of my friends were with me. One of them Puerto Rican. She asked a cop for directions, and the cop laid into her, "If you would READ THE SIGN, it will tell you that the subway is THAT WAY!!" I walked up and got in his face, and said, "Hey, all she was asking was directions!" The cop, seeing that he had been challenged, lightened up and proceeded to politely tell me the directions.
NYC is similar. OTOH, in Boston, trying to make a flight and running late, our cabbie ran out of gas. (It was her first day on the job.) There was a Boston cop standing over on the median, just outside the tunnel to Logan. I jumped out, ran over to him and told him our dilemma. He promptly stepped out and stopped ten lanes of traffic, commandeered an exiting cab, U-turned him and we climbed in and made our flight. I've found that the only Europeans who observe queues are the Brits, from whom we inherited it. (This excludes British soccer fans.) In Switzerland, the entrance to lift lines in ski resorts are "Vs," sort of like cattle chutes. You edge your way forward and Germans, in particular, are always trying to edge ahead of you. My tiny younger daughter had enough once, and took her pole and planted it with force on the ski of the guy trying to edge her out. He backed off. Again, OTOH, we once visited the Gurten Kulm park above Bern and our girls loved the little kid cars zooming around in circles in a rink. To them, they were obviously bumper cars and that's what they proceeded to do - smash into everyone. Finally, one little German guy said to the car in front of him "Darf ich dich stossen?" ("Can I hit you?") The surrounding parents were not pleased at all at the American influence... :)

Reactions: 92tide

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
NYC is similar. OTOH, in Boston, trying to make a flight and running late, our cabbie ran out of gas. (It was her first day on the job.) There was a Boston cop standing over on the median, just outside the tunnel to Logan. I jumped out, ran over to him and told him our dilemma. He promptly stepped out and stopped ten lanes of traffic, commandeered an exiting cab, U-turned him and we climbed in and made our flight. I've found that the only Europeans who observe queues are the Brits, from whom we inherited it. (This excludes British soccer fans.) In Switzerland, the entrance to lift lines in ski resorts are "Vs," sort of like cattle chutes. You edge your way forward and Germans, in particular, are always trying to edge ahead of you. My tiny younger daughter had enough once, and took her pole and planted it with force on the ski of the guy trying to edge her out. He backed off. Again, OTOH, we once visited the Gurten Kulm park above Bern and our girls loved the little kid cars zooming around in circles in a rink. To them, they were obviously bumper cars and that's what they proceeded to do - smash into everyone. Finally, one little German guy said to the car in front of him "Darf ich dich stossen?" ("Can I hit you?") The surrounding parents were not pleased at all at the American influence... :)
ive thrown more than a couple of hip checks boarding planes (and offloading) in europe.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
ive thrown more than a couple of hip checks boarding planes (and offloading) in europe.
I just remembered another incident. Years ago, like 20, Liz and I were skiing in Crested Butte. We had a friend along and Liz's daughter. We'd skied there before and were familiar with it. The little airport terminal had a baggage claim area sort of tacked on the end. The bags were offloaded, brought in carts and slid down a long steel ramp through heavy curtains which kept part of the cold out. There was a plane load of Italians which arrived just after we did and were claiming their baggage. When they became impatient, they started pushing past the Americans and climbing up the ramp to the curtains. The Americans just stepped back and looked at each other, shrugging. It wasn't like they were beating traffic or there was a lot of congestion. Years later, maybe about 7-8 years ago, Liz and I were in Vail in the summer, waiting patiently in line for gondola lift tickets. Up at the window were two young Italian women, in discussions with the ticket vendor, when they were suddenly joined by an Italian male. IDK what exactly made me do it, but I strode up to him, grabbed his arm, spun him around and said "You're in America. Here we wait our turn in line." He said "I just wanted to talk to my wife." I just said "Uh, OK." And went back to my place in line. I guess I just got triggered...

• Haha
Reactions: Go Bama and 92tide

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I just remembered another incident. Years ago, like 20, Liz and I were skiing in Crested Butte. We had a friend along and Liz's daughter. We'd skied there before and were familiar with it. The little airport terminal had a baggage claim area sort of tacked on the end. The bags were offloaded, brought in carts and slid down a long steel ramp through heavy curtains which kept part of the cold out. There was a plane load of Italians which arrived just after we did and were claiming their baggage. When they became impatient, they started pushing past the Americans and climbing up the ramp to the curtains. The Americans just stepped back and looked at each other, shrugging. It wasn't like they were beating traffic or there was a lot of congestion. Years later, maybe about 7-8 years ago, Liz and I were in Vail in the summer, waiting patiently in line for gondola lift tickets. Up at the window were two young Italian women, in discussions with the ticket vendor, when they were suddenly joined by an Italian male. IDK what exactly made me do it, but I strode up to him, grabbed his arm, spun him around and said "You're in America. Here we wait our turn in line." He said "I just wanted to talk to my wife." I just said "Uh, OK." And went back to my place in line. I guess I just got triggered...
I did that in Hawaii about 43 years ago...the Japanese kept trying to break in line to check out...I would tap on their shoulders and point to the back of the line. They soon stopped trying...of course @ 6'2" I towered over them. They didn't know I wouldn't harm a fly...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I did that in Hawaii about 43 years ago...the Japanese kept trying to break in line to check out...I would tap on their shoulders and point to the back of the line. They soon stopped trying...of course @ 6'2" I towered over them. They didn't know I wouldn't harm a fly...
I'm not that big, but neither was the Italian guy. He did look intimidated...

Reactions: Padreruf

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
From the article:

IOW, the Russians can launch attacks from inside Russia with impunity until they actually are across the border.:rolleyes:
It depends on the strategy.
It would seem that the U.S. condition for the gift was that Ukraine adopt a "counter force" strategy (shoot the Russian forces), as opposed to a "counter value" strategy (shoot Russian civilians inside Russia until the Kremlin agrees to stop its aggression to stop the suffering of Russian civilians.
At this point, I doubt Putin has any concern for the suffering of any civilians, Ukrainian or Russian. Counter value is a fool's strategy with this guy.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
My college buddy married a gal from Ponce, PR. He said that in the baggage claim down there, it's a typical thing to see guys jumping on top of the baggage claim and throwing bags. And the emergency lane on the highway is just another traffic lane.

Of course, I never drove when I was in Buenos Aires. Traffic there is like an out-of-control roller coaster. A three lane road will have five lanes of traffic. Motorcycles cut in between those lanes, and many times in front of you in stopped traffic.

• Wow
Reactions: Go Bama and seebell

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
My college buddy married a gal from Ponce, PR. He said that in the baggage claim down there, it's a typical thing to see guys jumping on top of the baggage claim and throwing bags. And the emergency lane on the highway is just another traffic lane.

Of course, I never drove when I was in Buenos Aires. Traffic there is like an out-of-control roller coaster. A three lane road will have five lanes of traffic. Motorcycles cut in between those lanes, and many times in front of you in stopped traffic.
I remember seeing men crossed the street in Cairo without getting hit. Nobody respecting the lanes, you just drive when and where you want. Guys walk through that without getting hit is like walking through a thunderstorm without getting hit by a drop, but they do it somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.