Scott Frost is the 2nd biggest crybaby and hypocrite in college football

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I have no problem with folks saying “the 1941 title is bogus” but you have to say it first. Just to say “a few of Alabama’s titles aren’t legit” is just a lazy way to say “Im jealous”

I found this article from way back in the 90’s that saw a change in the program coming but not to the extent that it did.

Prop 48
It was funny to read that. "Nebraska probably doesn't win without Frazier." This from the same folks who told me Brook Berringer was going to be drafted into the NFL had he not died. Look, he was a great kid - Tim Tebow before Tebow - but he wasn't going to the NFL except as a ticket buyer. But like pretending a global conspiracy whacked JFK, it somehow gives his life meaning for others if we pretend he was "robbed of his chance by tragedy" rather than "he'd probably be selling real estate nowadays and making big bucks."

As my late aunt once said about Brian Piccolo, "If he hadn't died, nobody would remember who he was."

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It was funny to read that. "Nebraska probably doesn't win without Frazier." This from the same folks who told me Brook Berringer was going to be drafted into the NFL had he not died. Look, he was a great kid - Tim Tebow before Tebow - but he wasn't going to the NFL except as a ticket buyer. But like pretending a global conspiracy whacked JFK, it somehow gives his life meaning for others if we pretend he was "robbed of his chance by tragedy" rather than "he'd probably be selling real estate nowadays and making big bucks."

As my late aunt once said about Brian Piccolo, "If he hadn't died, nobody would remember who he was."
Im surprised you didn’t take 1st issue with “ Michigan, Syracuse, and Nebraska would continue to be powers”.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Im surprised you didn’t take 1st issue with “ Michigan, Syracuse, and Nebraska would continue to be powers”.
Well, I did laugh out loud at that one, particularly since a lot of folks forget how good Alabama was just prior to that article being published. Everyone remembers Nebraska and Florida State and Florida - because offense.

But look at the records from 1991-1996:

Alabama 63-11-1
Nebraska 65-8-1
FSU 65-8-1
Florida 64-12-1
Miami 59-12
Penn St 60-14
Ohio St 57-15-2
Colorado 56-13-3

Everyone who lived through it will grant FSU and Nebraska were better than Alabama was...but by a mere two games. Florida is one game ahead of Alabama. Flip the result of the 1994 SEC title game, and Alabama rates 3rd during this period in time. Of course, we drove off the cliff the very next year, but we were right up there wth the best for a six-year span and yet nobody (except us) remembers anything other than the 92 defense.

I'm not sure where the idea of Syracuse as a power ever came from, but maybe this is where the constant over-rating of Donovan McNabb began.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
That is not how I remember it. My BiL works for UCF and has 2 degrees from UCF and was telling me over dinner (before Frost was gone) that he was disappointed in Frost for not standing with the school administration. I don't remember Frost ever claiming that title, and I know that my BiL feels the same way.

Maybe you are right - memories are a tricky thing - but that is how I remember it.
Fair enough. Maybe I'm mis-remembering. Either way, he didn't distance himself from it until after he left, which I somewhat understand, but his tacit endorsement is enough for me.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Well, I did laugh out loud at that one, particularly since a lot of folks forget how good Alabama was just prior to that article being published. Everyone remembers Nebraska and Florida State and Florida - because offense.

But look at the records from 1991-1996:

Alabama 63-11-1
Nebraska 65-8-1
FSU 65-8-1
Florida 64-12-1
Miami 59-12
Penn St 60-14
Ohio St 57-15-2
Colorado 56-13-3

Everyone who lived through it will grant FSU and Nebraska were better than Alabama was...but by a mere two games. Florida is one game ahead of Alabama. Flip the result of the 1994 SEC title game, and Alabama rates 3rd during this period in time. Of course, we drove off the cliff the very next year, but we were right up there wth the best for a six-year span and yet nobody (except us) remembers anything other than the 92 defense.

I'm not sure where the idea of Syracuse as a power ever came from, but maybe this is where the constant over-rating of Donovan McNabb began.
Bob Bockrath.

Were it not for that moron, I imagine Coach Stallings would have hung on a few more seasons. Probation was going to have a negative impact regardless, but I guarantee the 4-7 and 3-8 debacles never happen.

Alabama from 1991-1996 would have held up against any of those other powers of the era. We were defense heavy, and the types of players we sent to the NFL reflect that vs the kinds that Florida and Florida State sent. Those were some very talented Alabama teams. It’s just that most of the NFL level talent was concentrated on defense and RBs.

Reactions: selmaborntidefan

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Bob Bockrath.

Were it not for that moron, I imagine Coach Stallings would have hung on a few more seasons. Probation was going to have a negative impact regardless, but I guarantee the 4-7 and 3-8 debacles never happen.

Alabama from 1991-1996 would have held up against any of those other powers of the era. We were defense heavy, and the types of players we sent to the NFL reflect that vs the kinds that Florida and Florida State sent. Those were some very talented Alabama teams. It’s just that most of the NFL level talent was concentrated on defense and RBs.
Yeah, Bockrath. Ugh, just the mere mention of that idiot's name.

Yeah, we kind of hid under everyone's radar. They'd always say, "Alabama scraped by So and So."

But we won, didn't we? It always puzzled me how FSU could lose to the best team they played and it was somehow proof they were good but Alabama could beat the bad teams playing anemic and it was proof we were lucky.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Yeah, Bockrath. Ugh, just the mere mention of that idiot's name.

Yeah, we kind of hid under everyone's radar. They'd always say, "Alabama scraped by So and So."

But we won, didn't we? It always puzzled me how FSU could lose to the best team they played and it was somehow proof they were good but Alabama could beat the bad teams playing anemic and it was proof we were lucky.
so weird how different Alabama was when I was growing up. Every game was Close no matter how good or bad the opposition was and we seemed to be in the news every week for all the wrong reasons.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Bob Bockrath.

If Stallings had lasted a few more years, I agree that the Dubosian problems would never have happened. But I’m not sure we would have won any more championships. I do think the game had passed him by, and while we would have been a tough physical opponent, I’m not sure we could have scored enough to win. We’d perpetually have been 9-3 / 8-4 with multiple woulda-coulda-shouldas.

While the OL downfield was still 1 yard, the pass interference rules (and more importantly, the way they’re enforced on the field) were changing and evolving away from Stallings-style smash mouth. I’m not sure we could have recruited QBs or WRs, and maybe not OL. Which would have led to a shortage in talent, and the self-perpetuating spiral begins.

To me, the difference between a really good coach (which Stallings was) and a great coach (Bryant and Saban) is the ability to evolve. Bryant did and Saban has. I don’t think Stallings was capable of that. Kind of like Les Miles.

It would have been interesting to see who would have replaced Stallings in, say, 2000. We probably wouldn’t have had the second round of NCAA problems. Would Dubose have received the fanbase’s support the way he did in 1996? I know Stallings thought he wasn’t ready in 1996, and was deafening in his silence after the fact.

Would 4 more years of seasoning have changed Stallings’ perception? Would it have changed Dubose? I kind of think not — bottom line is that his highest and best use was as a DL coach. He just wasn’t that smart, on a number of fronts. Simply didn’t have either the broader perspective or higher-level thought processes.

So if not Dubose, who would have replaced Stallings In 2000? Guess we’ll never know, but it’s fun to speculate during the offseason.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If Stallings had lasted a few more years, I agree that the Dubosian problems would never have happened. But I’m not sure we would have won any more championships. I do think the game had passed him by, and while we would have been a tough physical opponent, I’m not sure we could have scored enough to win. We’d perpetually have been 9-3 / 8-4 with multiple woulda-coulda-shouldas.

While the OL downfield was still 1 yard, the pass interference rules (and more importantly, the way they’re enforced on the field) were changing and evolving away from Stallings-style smash mouth. I’m not sure we could have recruited QBs or WRs, and maybe not OL. Which would have led to a shortage in talent, and the self-perpetuating spiral begins.

To me, the difference between a really good coach (which Stallings was) and a great coach (Bryant and Saban) is the ability to evolve. Bryant did and Saban has. I don’t think Stallings was capable of that. Kind of like Les Miles.

It would have been interesting to see who would have replaced Stallings in, say, 2000. We probably wouldn’t have had the second round of NCAA problems. Would Dubose have received the fanbase’s support the way he did in 1996? I know Stallings thought he wasn’t ready in 1996, and was deafening in his silence after the fact.

Would 4 more years of seasoning have changed Stallings’ perception? Would it have changed Dubose? I kind of think not — bottom line is that his highest and best use was as a DL coach. He just wasn’t that smart, on a number of fronts. Simply didn’t have either the broader perspective or higher-level thought processes.

So if not Dubose, who would have replaced Stallings In 2000? Guess we’ll never know, but it’s fun to speculate during the offseason.
I still think in 1999 the best two teams played in the Orange bowl at the end of the year. But they were severely hampered by dum dum coaches.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
This paragraph from the article made me laugh, and proof positive of the cyclical nature of CFB-

Sure, Nebraska will always be one of the most powerful programs
in college football--along with teams like Florida State,
Michigan and Notre Dame--but beginning next fall the Cornhuskers
will be part of the pack, fighting with Florida (again),
Tennessee, Michigan, Syracuse, Miami and, who knows, maybe even
Kansas State, for a national title.

• Haha
Reactions: crimsonaudio

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I agree completely. Again the proof is in the NFL pudding. How many NFL OL did Coach Stallings produce? I cannot recall any. David Palmer did last several seasons, I know A couple other WRs were drafted, but none had any sort of NFL career. Zero QBs. Derrick Lassic and Sherman Williams were both drafted by Dallas. And Shaun Alexander was a Stallings recruit. Neither Williams nor Lassic lasted for different reasons but the potential was there. But there were several defensive players who had long NFL careers.

We saw how things were going vs Spurrier’s teams. To DuBose’s credit he knew what needed to happen with recruiting but could not manage a team and program to save his life.

What we can say today in hindsight is that if Coach Stallings hangs on until 2000 or so, then Nick Saban at Alabama probably never happens. Sometimes the pain is worth the payoff.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I remember when Nebraska was a fixture each year in the title chase. That was when the blue bloods ruled the ONE televised game each week. Now that Northwestern, Iowa, Minnesota, Purdue, Illinois and Wisconsin are all on TV just as often as Nebraska -- tell me why 4 and 5 stars would choose Lincoln?

Now I would choose Lincoln over half those but I am not a teenage boy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.