SEC reallignment - Moving Season?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Im for it since we get Florida and UGa every year, and ditching the Mississippi schools. Permanent Rivals we would probably get MSU instead of LSU though

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Im for it since we get Florida and UGa every year, and ditching the Mississippi schools. Permanent Rivals we would probably get MSU instead of LSU though
Arkansas
Auburn
Ole Miss
Miss State
Texas A&M
LSU
Vandy
Missouri

Les Miles would buy a 10 year extension....

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Meh, we just went through a historically tough west division period of strength. Just when the east appears to be ready go through a period of strength, we move over there? Not so sure about that.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
You don't realign for the sake of competitive balance...teams rise and fall as the balance shifts every few years. Nobody can predict how the league will stack up 5 years from now, let alone 10.

To me, the only reasons to realign would be if the league decided to ditch the permanent cross-divisional games (realignment would preserve Bama-UT, Barn-UGa, and Arkansas-Missouri) or if the league expanded again.

Dudeman

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2012
Whatever division Bama is in will always be the dominate division. I don't see a point in realigning because of that.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
First, I have to say this. The SEC really shouldn't go to a 9 game schedule until such a point in time that the SEC can insure the tougher schedule is not to their detriment. In other words until two SEC teams get into the playoff, or an SEC team with more losses than another major conference team gets in, just playing the toughest schedule now without making it tougher is more than enough. 9 conference games by all appearances would be to the detriment of the conference.

Having said that, swapping Missouri for Auburn makes the most sense. Auburn would get their panties all in a bunch though because Alabama makes them relevant. If they don't play Alabama every year what then? So basically I don't see things changing because Auburn needs Alabama and they know it.

The idea of moving Auburn AND Alabama though is really stupid. That doesn't balance things, it just makes things imbalanced on the other side. Not a lot of thought went into that idea.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
You don't realign for the sake of competitive balance...teams rise and fall as the balance shifts every few years. Nobody can predict how the league will stack up 5 years from now, let alone 10.

To me, the only reasons to realign would be if the league decided to ditch the permanent cross-divisional games (realignment would preserve Bama-UT, Barn-UGa, and Arkansas-Missouri) or if the league expanded again.
There is another unmentioned reason, which is by far the most drastic. Most teams seem to play up (or down) to it's competition. Every single SECW team gives and plays it's best during league games because they have to to remain competitive.
W
The SEC, especially the SEC West, is a perennial meat grinder, to be sure. We have put ourselves on top for that same reason.. Should we drop into the East,, in a very short few years we'd have dropped to the level of USCe, and would be little more than a tune up game for most other teams now in the West.
No thanks. I'd rather we stay where we are.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
There is another unmentioned reason, which is by far the most drastic. Most teams seem to play up (or down) to it's competition. Every single SECW team gives and plays it's best during league games because they have to to remain competitive.
W
The SEC, especially the SEC West, is a perennial meat grinder, to be sure. We have put ourselves on top for that same reason.. Should we drop into the East,, in a very short few years we'd have dropped to the level of USCe, and would be little more than a tune up game for most other teams now in the West.
No thanks. I'd rather we stay where we are.
The east has been down because richt had finally taken its toll on UGA, Tennessee has been lost in the wilderness, and Florida is trying to find a coach to live up to spurrier and Meyer. If you really want to be honest about the west it's more about Nick Saban resurrecting Alabama and making LSU a power. The others are better teams than the rest of the east, but the west is Alabama and LSU. It is like UF and Tennessee in the 90s. If Bama goes to the east, the SECCG will most likely be LSU vs Bama unless the 3 eastern elites find a way back to where they should be.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Why would you put 5 historical powers within the SEC in one division and leave LSU to romp a bunch of inconsistent or just plain bad programs?
Right on. Tennessee is coming back while S Carolina is going back. Mizzou will not win two more (titles) in a row. It is settling back to normalcy. Tennessee, Georgia and Florida ruling one roost and Alabama/LSU the other.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Leave er' alone....;)
I couldn't be less excited about this thread. I don't see a true strong reason to mix up the SEC at this point. We've got a great thing going here in the SEC West, with no forcing function to change things up right now.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I couldn't be less excited about this thread. I don't see a true strong reason to mix up the SEC at this point. We've got a great thing going here in the SEC West, with no forcing function to change things up right now.
Agree somewhat. But I, for one, don't get excited about playing cupcakes. Doesn't do anything positive for our SOS and the Barn rivalry has become more hateful/volatile in recent years. And unless someone distinguishes the dumpster fire in Lee county it's gonna become even less relevant for awhile. And if I'm not mistaken CNS previously stated he would be for a 9 game schedule as long as the other P5's follow suite. I'd much prefer the actual relevant programs join forces and split off into divisional super conferences and tell the NZAA to.............. well, goodbye.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The only thing that would warrant a reconsideration of the divisional makeup would be the addition of two more member schools. I don't think the two-division model works well at 14 teams but if the conference gets bigger then it simply will not work at all.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The only thing that would warrant a reconsideration of the divisional makeup would be the addition of two more member schools. I don't think the two-division model works well at 14 teams but if the conference gets bigger then it simply will not work at all.
I just don't fixate on teams playing each other across divisions. I think it works fine. I think the MLB worked fine when teams didn't play each other across division.

In fact, I think the biggest issue, the biggest problem is when teams play each other twice in a year. That's almost always bad for the conference. Heck, one reason Saban almost didn't get his first title was because they beat Georgia twice. That's the real issue to me, teams playing each other twice not teams that don't play each other at all. I'd be fine with two fairly autonomous 8 team divisions really.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.