Shula Supporter

BayouBama75

1st Team
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
Watching the end of the game, I wanted to go for the TD just like everyone has posted here but after thinking about it for a day, I had the following observations.

I think Shula is learning a lot as he goes.
- Last year we had 3 game winning FGs. I think in each of those games, Jamie had missed a FG earlier in the game. In each of those situations the last play or two before the kick were runs to set up the FG. It worked 3 times last year, so why would he have expected it not to work yesterday. I think he will learn from yesterday and probably be more aggressive in the future.

- Play calling (other than at the end) - I though was much better yesterday. You have to run the ball some. JPW can't sit back and take a hit on every play. Plus it wasn't like he had all day to throw (most of the time anyway).

I think Shula will remember this just as he has learn on the other stuff and will improve.

Last year AU missed 5 FGs at LSU including one in OT. This year that kicker is the preseason all SEC pick of the coaches... Sometimes kicker have an off day and often you don't know it till it is over. Many kickers miss 2 and then hit a big one later.. It is easy to know what to do after the fact.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
I am with him 100 %. This is a young team, and we will vent many more times this season about things. Lets just hope they improve more and more and we will have a sharp team by season's end.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Can I be critical and a supporter? I think so! I don't think you have to come on this or other boards and just recite the party line. I think you can be critical and still like the coach!. I don't treat a loss as a learning experience. I think the biggest thing you learn from a loss is how to lose!!

AlabamaSooner

All-SEC
Jun 28, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I know there are a lot of people that are upset with Shula (me included to a point), but he's our coach and I'm behind him 100%. I DO think that he'll learn from today (hopefully Rader too). A touchdown seals the deal, a FG is NOT automatic as they would like to think. I definitely think that we're moving in the right direction (hard to say that after yesterday) and he'll be just fine.

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
I know there are a lot of people that are upset with Shula (me included to a point), but he's our coach and I'm behind him 100%. I DO think that he'll learn from today (hopefully Rader too). A touchdown seals the deal, a FG is NOT automatic as they would like to think. I definitely think that we're moving in the right direction (hard to say that after yesterday) and he'll be just fine.
Agree completely. I am taking a longer view, and that view shows a bright future for Bama football if Shula continues to learn and grow as a HC...

Watching the end of the game, I wanted to go for the TD just like everyone has posted here but after thinking about it for a day, I had the following observations.

I think Shula is learning a lot as he goes.
- Last year we had 3 game winning FGs. I think in each of those games, Jamie had missed a FG earlier in the game. In each of those situations the last play or two before the kick were runs to set up the FG. It worked 3 times last year, so why would he have expected it not to work yesterday. I think he will learn from yesterday and probably be more aggressive in the future.

- Play calling (other than at the end) - I though was much better yesterday. You have to run the ball some. JPW can't sit back and take a hit on every play. Plus it wasn't like he had all day to throw (most of the time anyway).

I think Shula will remember this just as he has learn on the other stuff and will improve.

Last year AU missed 5 FGs at LSU including one in OT. This year that kicker is the preseason all SEC pick of the coaches... Sometimes kicker have an off day and often you don't know it till it is over. Many kickers miss 2 and then hit a big one later.. It is easy to know what to do after the fact.

Its also better to have the knowledge before hand. Alabama can not withstand many losses at the expense of a lesson learned. :BigA:

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
Can I be critical and a supporter? I think so! I don't think you have to come on this or other boards and just recite the party line. I think you can be critical and still like the coach!. I don't treat a loss as a learning experience. I think the biggest thing you learn from a loss is how to lose!!
Speaking from the perspective of a former coach, losses better be a "learning experience" or else you will continue to lose. For most in the coaching profession that I've ever known, most agree that you learn more in losses than in victories (at least that's what they say). With that said, I always preferred to have the opportunity to "learn little" as opposed to "learning much." :wink:

Latest threads

Amazon Prime / TideFans.shop

Your purchase through our Amazon affiliation and TideFans.shop links helps support the site! Thanks!