So what is the status of Jeremy Pruitt’s coaching future?

Jeremy Pruitt’s status

• Total voters

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Pruitt will have to rebuild his reputation and coaching skills at some small school. probably as a DC. Work his way up, build trust, stay out of trouble and he may get another chance at a major program, but it won't be at Alabama as HC.

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
He's got a low risk gig with the New York Giants right now. That's about the best he can hope for, at least for the next several years. Sure, he could come back and enter the Saban rehab program, but I don't think he wants to. I think he's probably too embarrassed.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
He's got a low risk gig with the New York Giants right now. That's about the best he can hope for, at least for the next several years. Sure, he could come back and enter the Saban rehab program, but I don't think he wants to. I think he's probably too embarrassed.
He was fired from the Giants back in January.

Reactions: We_are_Bama

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
He was fired from the Giants back in January.
Interesting.

Daboll and Pruitt were on the same Alabama coaching staff in 2017, Daboll as OC and Pruitt as DC. You'd have to think Daboll grew familiar with Pruitt's strengths and weaknesses.

And Daboll didn't have a place for Pruitt on the Giants' staff when he took over at the end of the 2021 season.

Guess we know Daboll's assessment of his former co-worker.

Reactions: We_are_Bama

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
He may want to consider just swallowing his pride and coming back to enter the Saban rehab clinic. It's probably his only hope at this point.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Didnt pruitt leave for fsu and then started trying to poach Bama recruits?
I don’t know if Pruitt tried to poach Alabama recruits when he went to Tallahassee or not.

But he was at FSU in 2013, and hired on for a third time in Tuscaloosa in 2016. So whatever his recruiting practices at FSU, they didn’t permanently alienate Saban.

Now, whether he’s done something to alienate Saban since then, I don’t know.

CrimsonPaul

1st Team
Jun 12, 2006
Brandon, MS
Did not Terry Bowdan fall into Auburn coaches paying players when he took the head coaching job in 1993? Probably Pruitt ran into the same at UTe and tried to slip pass it like Bowdan. However, Pruitt should have never taken a job under Fulmer he should have known better.

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Did not Terry Bowdan fall into Auburn coaches paying players when he took the head coaching job in 1993? Probably Pruitt ran into the same at UTe and tried to slip pass it like Bowdan. However, Pruitt should have never taken a job under Fulmer he should have known better.
Yes, and he signed NCAA compliance certifications WHILE THEY WERE ON PROBATION saying they were in compliance when he knew well they weren't. He later admitted this in a newspaper interview - and then when ABC made a big deal about "this blockbuster story out of Auburn" and did a halftime interview with him, he reverted to, "I've been advised by my attorney yadda yadda."

The same thing happened at SMU, where they'd been on enough probations to warrant the death penalty, but they feared what was going to get exposed if they suddenly cut off "the payroll we have to meet."

I've long suspected that the reason that both Terry Bowden and Gene Chizik were hired (those two in particular) was either because they were incredibly naive and since it's not like they had options otherwise, they'd also have to be quiet. In regards to Chizik, I've always thought it was a case of "well, he was here when this was going on before, so we won't have to brief the new figurehead of the mobster family where we buried the bodies." WHAT OTHER reason can possibly be given for hiring the absolute worst candidate in that coaching search to run your program?

That being said...I don't want to be one of those idealistic fans who thinks every other school except mine skirts the NCAA rules. But there's a difference between knowing enough to pretend to be dumb and simply being dumb, too. I mean, for starters, wouldn't you raise less suspicion hiding the payments in CRACKER JACK BOXES as opposed to McDonald's meals?

Pruitt is likely to get a job since:
a) he wasn't involved in any sort of Penn St or Baylor-level misdeeds
b) his reward at least potentially outweighs his risk

The latter is the same reason a certain former NFL QB who pretends he wants to play so as to keep the money flowing from Nike has zero chance of ever catching on with anyone. Bobby Petrino made a comeback. Hugh Freeze is working on it and liable to replace Harsin when that job opens. Mike Vick played in the NFL after serving a federal prison sentence for something so repugnant as to defy explanation.

And because he has a championship ring, Ed Orgeron is liable to be back on the sidelines someday, too.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Well, Art Briles sued and, as yet, is unemployed. I know he's infinitely more toxic than Pruitt.
Briles had a four-day gig with Grambling. This AFTER he got caught using ineligible players in HIGH SCHOOL games. I mean, Briles was largely the public scapegoat at Baylor, but you have to make the most of your second chances when you get them. (Granted - in Texas? Briles probably ticked off a coach who was cheating by beating him, who then got mad and retaliated by accusing Briles of that which said coach was also doing. That's so par for the course here it ought to be the state motto, a Jesse Ventura-esque: "Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat").

Reactions: Con and dtgreg

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The latter is the same reason a certain former NFL QB who pretends he wants to play so as to keep the money flowing from Nike has zero chance of ever catching on with anyone. Bobby Petrino made a comeback. Hugh Freeze is working on it and liable to replace Harsin when that job opens. Mike Vick played in the NFL after serving a federal prison sentence for something so repugnant as to defy explanation.

And because he has a championship ring, Ed Orgeron is liable to be back on the sidelines someday, too.
Ray Lewis has gotten all sorts of accolades and all sorts of jobs commenting on NFL games despite at the very least knowing who murdered two people. On top of which, he was probably at the scene of the murders when they happened, and might or might not have actively participated in them — guessing somebody burned that blood-stained outfit.

Regarding Orgeron, he’s such a moronic buffoon that I don’t see him as a HC in D1 again, and probably not a co-ordinator. He was a good recruiter everywhere he went, though, and didn’t seem to push the rules any further than what most coaches do. Especially now that there are effectively no rules in recruiting, and depending on what that Title IX investigation turns up, I could see him possibly heading up that function somewhere.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: The Ols

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Ray Lewis has gotten all sorts of accolades and all sorts of jobs commenting on NFL games despite at the very least knowing who murdered two people. On top of which, he was probably at the scene of the murders when they happened, and might or might not have actively participated in them — guessing somebody burned that blood-stained outfit.
To my dying day I will never understand how he was never held to account for this by the law or by the media (who fawn all over him)...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
To my dying day I will never understand how he was never held to account for this by the law or by the media (who fawn all over him)...
Instead they talked about all the adversity he overcame. There are people that actually forgot about it. I didn't. I sometimes like to remind people. I even remember the SNL cartoon that showed Ray Lewis witnessing Scar kill Mufasa and running away.

Reactions: Isaiah 63:1

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads