So Who Are Some of Your Favorites From This Year's Team...

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
I know, we love them all. Like with your kids, you're not supposed to have a favorite (I love them both, but I catch a whole lot less sass from my 9 month old that I do with my 4 year old..just sayin), but for the sake of this thread; who are some of the guys from this year's team that you find yourself pulling for just a bit more when they are on the field? Who ya got??? And why ya got 'em? Here's mine....

1) C. Latu: This one sorta goes back to last year, but this guy was a highly rated outside linebacker that was asked to move to TE for depth reasons and he has done more than just be another guy in the rep line. My assumption is that he wasn't going to get much playing time at LB so due to some depth issues he was asked to give TE a go. We have seen this before with guys moving from O to D or vice versa but most of the time I feel like the guy ends up at his original spot....Not this guy! I could be completely wrong about this but it looks to me like Saban likes to put in some of the "try hard" guys in on short yard situations as a lead blocker when it makes sense. I remember seeing #81 in that role last year so that tells me that is is likely a team first guy that has busted his butt in practice. Then he had a hot start to this year followed by a bit of a slump but overall he's been a big part of our success this year. I just like the fact that he stuck with it and it has paid off for him.

2) J. Williams: He will be a pick for a lot of fans based on his performance alone...and that is understandable. But in addition to him coming in and lighting it up, he has some of that Landon Dickerson in him in that he looks to have a very have become one of those guys that just pulls a team together. You would have no way of knowing he has been with the team for less than a calendar year based on how he interacts with both the team and media. He strikes me as a guy that you certainly want in your foxhole. I've heard Saban say that Williams has that dawg in him, which means you know the guy is scrappy as hell. I will never understand how he couldn't be a big contributor at OSU...but I am glad as hell it didn't work out there because we aren't where we are without him.

3) P. Mathis: This guy has been one of our most important parts of the defense in my opinion. He really has played some good ball the last couple of years. I believe he was a 5* coming out of high school, so good for him to stick it out while it took him a bit longer to develop that other guys he has played with during his time at Bama. From my untrained eye, he has very much complimented our OLB's by holding up the middle as they cause problems on the outside. I'm happy to see him have a major role.

4) B. Robinson: Probably another obvious one for most people but man what a guy that is easy to pull for. I won't go too deep into this one as I started an entire thread about the guy, but man there is no doubt that Alabama means the world to this guy. While the fact that he is a hometown guy that waited his turn is a good story and all, this guy has had a heck of a year. I hope he makes a little money in the league and then comes home to have some type of role within the program when he's done playinig.

5) C. Owens: I know he has had his struggles, but he has continued to be a positive influence on this team. I'm not sure a lot of folks noticed, but senior day against Arkansas is the game that he was benched for #74. Think about how dang hard that had to be for him...but then look at who was in the line up against UGA handing out butt whippings to the best defense of all time.

Thoughts on some other players:

While he has been underwhelming based on expectations coming into the year, J. Billingsley has come around in the last few games. Not only has he made a few important catches, but he's done a pretty good job blocking some of the times that I've noticed. He owned a UGA DB during our second scoring drive on a swing pass to J. Williams. So I hope he can continue to trend up as he could be a real problem for any defense remaining.

Everyone loves the way that W. Anderson plays, but how he carries himself and the way that he sort of seems to have taken over a much needed leadership role within the team is almost as valuable as his play on the field.

I'm not sure why this is but Seth McLaughlin seems to really improve the production of the OL when he's in at center. I don't know about the physical comparison between he and Dalcourt, but does seem to be some improvement now that he is playing. It could be as simple as he is healthy whereas maybe Dalcourt wasn't but whatever it is it seems to have a positive affect on the unit as a whole.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
I completely agree on Latu-he was my favorite player this year. Love seeing Drew Sanders early in the year-hate that his season was interrupted by injury. I really felt he was staring to come into his own.

And, given the way the O-line has turned around in the last six quarters-Seth McLaughlin.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I completely agree on Latu-he was my favorite player this year. Love seeing Drew Sanders early in the year-hate that his season was interrupted by injury. I really felt he was staring to come into his own.

And, given the way the O-line has turned around in the last six quarters-Seth McLaughlin.
drew has been back in the mix the last couple of weeks and has looked pretty good

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I have a soft spot for WR's so my two favorite guys have been...

Jamo and Metchie

Having said that though If I were to buy a Custom Jersey right now it would be Seth McLaughlin's

• Haha
Reactions: UAllday

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
To'o To'o and Anderson. Those guys have both played with fire in their bellies all year, even when those around them seemed to lack that fire (early on).

And they both continue to wreak havoc on opposing offenses.

Of course, I'm a huge Bryce Young fan - everything I read, see, and hear about him is positive and impressive.

JayBama_in_PCOLA

All-American
Oct 2, 2020
Andalusia (living in Pace/Pensacola, Fl)
I’ll give it a try since I can’t rank the WR under CNS.

10. Evan Neal - the road warrior, he’ll literally make the road
9. C Owens - He keeps fighting back
8. S Bolden - Steps up when you really need it
7. H To’o To’o - Oh, if he would have come earlier
6. J Battle - Great character, especially in interviews
5. B. Young - Ice Cold, and he’s coming back again
4. J Williams - New money, who knew!
3. W Anderson, Jr. - Defensive Monster, unstoppable
2. J Metchie - Canadian Avenger, won the Iron Bowl
1. B Robinson, Jr. - Mr. Alabama! Waited his turn now look!

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
BRob. No frills, knocks people down, gets up and does it again.

Will Anderson. Great leader, love his intensity.

LaBryan Ray. Could have given up 100 times, but kept working and is getting in some good playing time this year. Happy for him.

Trey Sanders. Same reason as Ry. Overcame lots of adversity and has made the mot of the chances he's received.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I'm actually a huge fan of most of this team for a variety of reasons. And agree with all of the names that have been mentioned.

Just to add another name I don't know much about his personality but I was really enjoying Roydell Williams when he was getting his chance. That dude has a special burst and I just had a lot of fun watching him play.

But my favorite player this year has to be Will Anderson. Yes he's arguably the best player on the team but its so much more than that. He's a clear leader and gives amazing interviews. It seems like he just has an infectious personality.

Reactions: tusks_n_raider

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Since I can't name them all; in no particular order:

Bryce Young. Next in what is becoming a long line of unflappable, supremely talented QBs. Never thought I'd see that at Alabama. Frankly it is amazing what he is capable of doing, considering his size.

Will Anderson. I didn't get to watch Derrick Thomas at Alabama, I was too young. I'm thankful I'm getting to witness Mr. Anderson.

Brian Robinson. He waited his turn and he has made the most of it. Plays through pain. Sacrifices for the team. Fantastic leader.

John Metchie. A guy that doesn't have all the measurables but he just gets the job done in spectacular ways. Never gives up on a play. I'm devastated about his injury. He deserved to see this season through to the end (all the injured guys did)

P. Mathis. He caught my eye from the beginning of the season. That is an NFL D-lineman and he plays with his pants on fire.

JWill. What an addition to the team. Thank you Ohio State. Speed, speed, and more speed. We'll miss him when he's gone.

Will R. Just a steady, almost automatic kicker. Walks up and just does the job without fanfare, which I LOVE in a kicker.

I could name many more. I'm amazed at how this team, which has been rebuilt from last year from almost the ground up, has come together. A lot of leaders have been forged.

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: tusks_n_raider

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Besides the obvious of Bryce and Mr. Anderson....Williams and Metchie.

I have to go with Trey Sanders, Brian Robinson, and Seth McLaughlin.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
In terms of "favorite", unrelated to performance on the field, it is easily Will Anderson. He has a massively energetic presence, he must be an absolute dynamo in the locker room.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
McLaughlin has been a most pleasant surprise late in the year. It's been only a game and a half of full-time play, so it's really too early to say for sure. But early results are definitely encouraging.

I'm still curious to know why the OL was so much better against UGA than it was against AU (and Arkansas, and LSU, and others). As noted in an earlier post on another thread, I've heard speculation on several reasons, but nothing from any coaches or other true experts.

As far as MVP is concerned, it is without doubt Bryce Young. Without him, we're a 3-loss team at best.

Reactions: JayBama_in_PCOLA

JayBama_in_PCOLA

All-American
Oct 2, 2020
Andalusia (living in Pace/Pensacola, Fl)
McLaughlin has been a most pleasant surprise late in the year. It's been only a game and a half of full-time play, so it's really too early to say for sure. But early results are definitely encouraging.

I'm still curious to know why the OL was so much better against UGA than it was against AU (and Arkansas, and LSU, and others). As noted in an earlier post on another thread, I've heard speculation on several reasons, but nothing from any coaches or other true experts.

As far as MVP is concerned, it is without doubt Bryce Young. Without him, we're a 3-loss team at best.
I’m also glad the right side of the OL has stabilized too.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.