Bama Game Thread: Softball Bevo Classic

TideATL70

Scout Team
Oct 20, 2020
I had posted 2 weeks ago that I wanted to see how the weekend in Austin went before I'd predict the SEC season. I really thought 2-2 would have been a WORST case scenario. 1-3 is just a disaster and does not instill confidence going into conference play. I know some folks are hanging the hat on the Sat. night 4-3 win, BUT that took a 162 pitch performance from our ACE--not a recipe to win 50 plus games and make a deep run at OKC. I love Fouts' gutty performances but riding one pony will catch up to us and blow out her arm.
Just a frustarting weekend overall.

Reactions: Rkharley98

BamaHoops

3rd Team
Jan 13, 2019
The anemic hitting is killing Bama softball. It isn't the only problem, but with only one high level pitcher we must be able to score more to be competitive. And, as everyone already knows - there is a huge drop from Fouts to the rest of the pitching staff. None of Bama's other pitchers would be in the rotation at most SEC schools.

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL
The anemic hitting is killing Bama softball. It isn't the only problem, but with only one high level pitcher we must be able to score more to be competitive. And, as everyone already knows - there is a huge drop from Fouts to the rest of the pitching staff. None of Bama's other pitchers would be in the rotation at most SEC schools.
All true....I'm afraid 81 is correct this might be our last shot at OKC for a while until changes are made and who knows when that will.be . The way it's looking though we aren't going to get there this season either. I could not imagine having to play Oklahoma in a 3 game series right now. Of course it would only be 2 but odds would be very good we would get run ruled in both games.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well when you run much of your freshman class off and lose your only quality ace this is what happens. But no, no one wanted to listen and everyone wanted to use the “Murph has the right to fix it” line.

Between Bohannan and Murph I would say Bo does far more with far less than Murph does with far more in the past 6 years. Yet everyone on the baseball board wants Bohannan gone and most of everyone here will constantly defend Murph from criticism. Plus Bo has the excuse that Alabama has substantial disadvantages in baseball than what softball ever will as a program.

What Murph did for this program is amazing, but the SEC has gotten far better in the past 10 years and Murph has been too stubborn to counter it. Next year we have Oklahoma and Texas coming in, and we will be lucky to be a top 10 SEC team next year because of it.

It’s a shame that Osorio and Fouts will never have pitched in a CWS final with 8 years combined careers.

Sure things could turn, but it’s probably too late.

Comin2yourCity

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 14, 2012
Well when you run much of your freshman class off and lose your only quality ace this is what happens. But no, no one wanted to listen and everyone wanted to use the “Murph has the right to fix it” line.

Between Bohannan and Murph I would say Bo does far more with far less than Murph does with far more in the past 6 years. Yet everyone on the baseball board wants Bohannan gone and most of everyone here will constantly defend Murph from criticism. Plus Bo has the excuse that Alabama has substantial disadvantages in baseball than what softball ever will as a program.

What Murph did for this program is amazing, but the SEC has gotten far better in the past 10 years and Murph has been too stubborn to counter it. Next year we have Oklahoma and Texas coming in, and we will be lucky to be a top 10 SEC team next year because of it.

It’s a shame that Osorio and Fouts will never have pitched in a CWS final with 8 years combined careers.

Sure things could turn, but it’s probably too late.
I know those "Murph is the Man" fans will come after you but this is THE TRUTH. I'm an ALABAMA softball fan. I want what's best for the program... sadly, that is not the current coaching staff.

Comin2yourCity

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 14, 2012
We will make a regional based on name alone. It’s more of a question to where. Personally I say we are in the 11-16 range. We are going to win alot of games vs quality opponents and Fouts will still be a huge draw. I don’t see us dropping below 16 at the end of the season unless the wheels totally fall off midway through it.
I'm seeing a lot of opponent fans (OU) really dragging Bama about the rankings. Saying we are always overrated and coddled... honestly, I think there is some truth to it. I'm not sold that we will win a lot games...you have to score to win. I truly HATE to feel and say these things! I love this program and just sad to see what is happening. I agree, the AD will not make a move.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm seeing a lot of opponent fans (OU) really dragging Bama about the rankings. Saying we are always overrated and coddled... honestly, I think there is some truth to it. I'm not sold that we will win a lot games...you have to score to win. I truly HATE to feel and say these things! I love this program and just sad to see what is happening. I agree, the AD will not make a move.
Well if the KB Sides incident or what happened last year didn’t get Bryne to make a move then what will? Bryne is really only concerned about two sports, and most Alabama fans would be okay with that.

I think we will be anywhere from 3 to 7 in the SEC just because Fouts is THAT good. But I don’t foresee much more than that. Our best players are girls that Murph never recruited out of high school and really only came here because of Fouts. Like I’ve said, Murph has really burned bridges with many of the major travel ball coaches and most of your best hitters are staying away from Alabama.

Reactions: Comin2yourCity

Comin2yourCity

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 14, 2012
Well if the KB Sides incident or what happened last year didn’t get Bryne to make a move then what will? Bryne is really only concerned about two sports, and most Alabama fans would be okay with that.

I think we will be anywhere from 3 to 7 in the SEC just because Fouts is THAT good. But I don’t foresee much more than that. Our best players are girls that Murph never recruited out of high school and really only came here because of Fouts. Like I’ve said, Murph has really burned bridges with many of the major travel ball coaches and most of your best hitters are staying away from Alabama.
Peripheral fans do not understand the significance of travel ball coaches,. I would struggle to find a reason to direct ELITE players to Bama.

Name ONE player (not named Mccleney) that was better their senior year than freshman year? Haley is extremely self-motivated and works her butt off to be the best. It's unfair to credit Murphy for that. There is ZERO development once on campus.In the case of many (Tow) they regress.

BamaHoops

3rd Team
Jan 13, 2019
Peripheral fans do not understand the significance of travel ball coaches,. I would struggle to find a reason to direct ELITE players to Bama.

Name ONE player (not named Mccleney) that was better their senior year than freshman year? Haley is extremely self-motivated and works her butt off to be the best. It's unfair to credit Murphy for that. There is ZERO development once on campus. In the case of many (Tow) they regress.
So true - and how about the regression of Bailey Dowling - one of the best power hitters in the history of high school softball?

It's a shame how our coaching has damaged so many good recruits.

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL
As big of a fan as I am if I had a daughter playing softball that had D1 talent, I think I would try my best to steer her away from Bama. Never thought I would make a statement like this but it is what it is.

Reactions: Comin2yourCity

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.