Spring Practice Thread/News/Predictions

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Don’t confuse energy with accomplishment. We will see if different is better.

I would like to see a killer energy that’s been lacking lately.
I'm not, but I'm also not questioning if CKD's new style works.

Obviously, it works. Look at Washington before he got there and compare it to last year.

I will also say that I think Coach has done a great job of balancing keeping some things the same (he referred to the 4th quarter program yesterday in his PC) but also knowing where some change was needed.

I don't think he's a Ray Perkins.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Obviously, it works. Look at Washington before he got there and compare it to last year.

I will also say that I think Coach has done a great job of balancing keeping some things the same (he referred to the 4th quarter program yesterday in his PC) but also knowing where some change was needed.

Maybe he can find a balance between business trip and summer vacation.

Reactions: SkullDuckery

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Maybe he can find a balance between business trip and summer vacation.
You mentioned you'd like to see a "killer energy."

I think "the process" could at times make Bama football more about "business" (thus the team talked about "business trips") but it also seemed to take some of the energy and even fun out of it for the guys. Couple that with how we sometimes played tight in big games (how many times did this happen against LSU?) and we often played without very much emotion against Auburn and it makes me hope CKD strikes a better balance with "energy" and "excitement" of the game.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
You mentioned you'd like to see a "killer energy."

I think "the process" could at times make Bama football more about "business" (thus the team talked about "business trips") but it also seemed to take some of the energy and even fun out of it for the guys. Couple that with how we sometimes played tight in big games (how many times did this happen against LSU?) and we often played without very much emotion against Auburn and it makes me hope CKD strikes a better balance with "energy" and "excitement" of the game.
One weird thing about the changing landscape is that under Saban our program was run in large parts like an NFL team, which is why our players were so sought after because they were pretty much ready to step into a professional atmosphere from day one, but now that NIL has turned college players into actual professional players at the collegiate level, we well may see the experience at places like Bama morph into something very much unlike a professional atmosphere.

I'm wondering if the new generation of college players influenced by NIL and their newfound control over the sport will end up being less prepared for the pros than they were in the past.

Reactions: The Ols

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

DeBoer is definitely not Ray Perkins redux. About six months into Perkins' tenure, the common joke was that if Ray Perkins hadn't hacked you off, it was only because you hadn't yet met him.

I haven't heard a whisper of that with DeBoer.

In front of a crowd, DeBoer seems to be personable but not overly so. He comes across as secure in himself. Embraces Saban and Alabama traditions but has his own ideas. Early appearances are that he'll look at every aspect of the program, compare his way to "what Alabama's always done before," and choose the best aspects of both.

Respectful of Saban's success and Alabama tradition. Wants to learn from both, but not intimidated by or beholden to either.

After Bryant died (about a month to 6 weeks after Perkins was hired), Perkins wanted to erase everything related to Bryant. While a lot of the hangers-on -- boosters and Athletic Department employees -- needed to be nudged out, Perkins was unnecessarily abrasive in doing so. I've always thought that if Bryant had lived another year, he could have helped round off some of Perkins' sharp elbows.

DeBoer is light years more polished in implementing his changes.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

I agree, I don’t think CKD program is better or worse, hopefully just different. And You can’t say Nick’s program was stale , they were in the CFB playoffs two of the last three years. Only Michigan did better than that. I think CKD has a better staff, so the energy, excitement and teaching will be better, IMO.

Reactions: AWRTR

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
DeBoer is definitely not Ray Perkins redux. About six months into Perkins' tenure, the common joke was that if Ray Perkins hadn't hacked you off, it was only because you hadn't yet met him.

I haven't heard a whisper of that with DeBoer.

In front of a crowd, DeBoer seems to be personable but not overly so. He comes across as secure in himself. Embraces Saban and Alabama traditions but has his own ideas. Early appearances are that he'll look at every aspect of the program, compare his way to "what Alabama's always done before," and choose the best aspects of both.

Respectful of Saban's success and Alabama tradition. Wants to learn from both, but not intimidated by or beholden to either.

After Bryant died (about a month to 6 weeks after Perkins was hired), Perkins wanted to erase everything related to Bryant. While a lot of the hangers-on -- boosters and Athletic Department employees -- needed to be nudged out, Perkins was unnecessarily abrasive in doing so. I've always thought that if Bryant had lived another year, he could have helped round off some of Perkins' sharp elbows.

DeBoer is light years more polished in implementing his changes.
I remember those days...RP was described as a man who if he thought someone liked him he would go across the state to tick them off." I've never met a successful coach/person with more deficient people skills.

CKD has all of the skills it seems to me from this distance...

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Given his history and what I have seen since he has been here, I am convinced that we are in great shape with Coach KD. Yea, the Milroe thread(s) will rage on and we will magnify, analyze and re-hash every decision to the nth degree but I believe Byrne set us up very nicely with this hire. Things will be different in the football complex but gauging the temperature of the fanbase the past few years a change was wanted. Anyway, glad we are back on the field and actually have something tangible to discuss.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Given his history and what I have seen since he has been here, I am convinced that we are in great shape with Coach KD. Yea, the Milroe thread(s) will rage on and we will magnify, analyze and re-hash every decision to the nth degree but I believe Byrne set us up very nicely with this hire. Things will be different in the football complex but gauging the temperature of the fanbase the past few years a change was wanted. Anyway, glad we are back on the field and actually have something tangible to discuss.
IF Milroe wins the starting job, it will be interesting to see how the "Milroe isn't a QB" crowd reacts.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Things will be different in the football complex but gauging the temperature of the fanbase the past few years a change was wanted.
It's interesting that you say this and, while I think most people recognize what we just experience the past 17 years, I think a large chunk of the fanbase wanted to see something different, which is probably something Saban's not wired to do.

From my POV, I'm hoping that the days of the Saban School for Wayward Coaches have come to an end in Tuscaloosa. I'm tired of seeing guys come in, learn a bunch of stuff, and then get a high profile head job where they're anointed by the media as the next Saban-killer.

Saban wanting to have his cake and eat it too with regards to the fanbase was wearing thin on me as well. If you want us sold out and involved, you've got to accept the fact that we won't blindly follow you. You have to be okay with us questioning things that we clearly see aren't working right anymore.

AWRTR

All-American
Oct 18, 2022
What will be interesting is if people are focused on results on the field rather than agendas.
I want the guy to succeed. I really like him. He has stayed dedicated to the University and I think he has been a great spokesman for the program. He has incredible natural physical gifts. He did improve as the year went. I hope we are all talking about his Heisman in December.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I want the guy to succeed. I really like him. He has stayed dedicated to the University and I think he has been a great spokesman for the program. He has incredible natural physical gifts. He did improve as the year went. I hope we are all talking about his Heisman in December.
I think it's safe to say that no one is going to work harder than JM. I hope the effort, and coaching, pays off.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Don’t confuse energy with accomplishment. We will see if different is better.

I would like to see a killer energy that’s been lacking lately.
If Saban had a flaw it was his struggle to manage the emotional state of his players. Sometimes they came into the game too high, sometimes too low, sometimes it was perfect. But one never knew. It was especially maddening against Auburn. The barners always arrived like Braveheart with a stone ax looking for the dude who killed their wife, our guys looked like they were about to do their taxes. Like this is just the team on the schedule that I have to play.

Reactions: lowend

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
What will be interesting is if people are focused on results on the field rather than agendas.
With new coaches, some new players, and new offense/defense, I'm focused on how quickly the team comes together. Will they be ready by September? I don't know of any agendas.

Reactions: JohnD

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
If Saban had a flaw it was his struggle to manage the emotional state of his players. Sometimes they came into the game too high, sometimes too low, sometimes it was perfect. But one never knew. It was especially maddening against Auburn. The barners always arrived like Braveheart with a stone ax looking for the dude who killed their wife, our guys looked like they were about to do their taxes. Like this is just the team on the schedule that I have to play.
I`m trying to remember the last time we looked like we absolutely wanted to kill the barn, and then proceeded to do so.

Reactions: The Ols

CrimsonJazz

All-American
May 27, 2022
He'll just wait for the portal to open. He just can't transfer within the conference. Of course, if that was challenged, I'm sure the NCAA would roll over and allow it.
Can't really blame them. Their record in court has been......less than impressive. That's the nice way of saying it.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads