Spring Practice Thread/News/Predictions

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I hope they at least keep score.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

How can the Defense even 'Win'.

Even if it were a shutout it would be a tie at best....lol

Who gets Steak vs Beans??

I'll just go ahead and put it out there that I'm a creature of habit that doesn't like big change usually.

I'm all aboard the CKD train in general but I just do not like this change in format.

Maybe I'll get use to it in 5 years.... but probably not...ha

Reactions: B1GTide

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Did the score ever really matter, other than who gets steak?
I mean no it didn't matter but it was the way to decide who 'Won' and who 'Lost' which for us decided the Tradition of who got Steak vs Beans.

I don't even understand how Stats would decide it.

I mean are there going to be thresholds like If the Defense holds the Offense to under a certain amount of Points or under a Certain amount of Total yards they win but if the Offense exceeds those amounts the Offense wins?

I mean in the grand scheme all we all care about is everyone getting better but for me I don't like breaking traditions.

Reactions: B1GTide

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

How can the Defense even 'Win'.

Even if it were a shutout it would be a tie at best....lol

Who gets Steak vs Beans??

I'll just go ahead and put it out there that I'm a creature of habit that doesn't like big change usually.

I'm all aboard the CKD train in general but I just do not like this change in format.

Maybe I'll get use to it in 5 years.... but probably not...ha
Don't think it will be a game. Just a scrimmage. No score, rice or beans. Might change next year but probably the best to do it this way to reinforce the learning throughout the Spring.

Reactions: HighlandOak

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Im betting Oats has developed an algorithm to determine who wins based on hardhat points...
It's funny you say that because I was thinking CKD may be a "stat" guy more than we think.

It'll take some serious statistician work, but each player could be assigned a "point score" for each play and then tallied up as the game progresses.

I honestly don't care about who wins or who eats steak.

I'm looking to see if this new offense and defense look promising!

Reactions: Con and B1GTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It's funny you say that because I was thinking CKD may be a "stat" guy more than we think.

It'll take some serious statistician work, but each player could be assigned a "point score" for each play and then tallied up as the game progresses.

I honestly don't care about who wins or who eats steak.

I'm looking to see if this new offense and defense look promising!
I agree, but football isn't football without winners and losers on the field. This will be interesting to watch, but it will only be a practice/scrimmage rather than a scrimmage/game if they don't have competitive teams and keep score.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
We haven't had one of those in at least a decade, so I'm rooting for no stupid mental mistakes and clean snaps. At least give me offense so I'll be entertained.
Last years D was the only reason we won as many games as we won. With the rules and O Philosophies holding a team to 21-24 points is a great performance. Our D did that in all but 2 or 3 games while our offense underperformed.

I do want to see how the D will do, not only due to the slightly new scheme and style, but also due to the number of top level guys we are having to replace on that side of the ball.

On O, I want to see who can run the O and get the timing right with the short and intermediate passing game, and stretch the field not just vertically, but horizontally.

CrimsonBloodn62

1st Team
Feb 1, 2002
Tuscumbia, AL
I agree, but football isn't football without winners and losers on the field. This will be interesting to watch, but it will only be a practice/scrimmage rather than a scrimmage/game if they don't have competitive teams and keep score.
Depending on how this A-Day game goes today, it might depend on future attendance for the next A-Day game. We will see how it goes, though. I just want to be able to see improvement in certain positions today and who is potentially going to replace some of the key players we lost.

Coach D

3rd Team
Apr 27, 2023

All universities have a GA or position coach keep score players for each play. At bigger universities I kept score as a GA and at smaller universities I kept score as a position coach. It’s just a matter of how in depth you want to score and use the stats.

• Thank You
Reactions: BamaMoon

Guido

Suspended
Feb 24, 2017
The beans vs steak deal just doesn't mean as much as it did before the players could afford to buy their own steak any time they want it.
I'm thinking wagyu beef, bout a c-note per pound, no problem these days.

Reactions: AWRTR

Guido

Suspended
Feb 24, 2017
All universities have a GA or position coach keep score players for each play. At bigger universities I kept score as a GA and at smaller universities I kept score as a position coach. It’s just a matter of how in depth you want to score and use the stats.
Is there an advantage to keeping score on each play real time or waiting for the tape and then do it.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads