Spring Practice Thread (Practice Reports, Press Conference Updates, etc)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
One topic I haven't seen people talk about as much as I would think, given the completion there, is WR. It so far sounds like Ridley and Foster starting out wide with Sims in the slot. Al.com was reporting that Foster made multiple big plays in the last scrimmage which is a good sign for a breakout year. However, I wonder if at some point in the season Jeudy starts taking a lot of snaps from Foster. I'm not sure what to make of this position honestly. All I know is there is a lot of talent there.
I think that depends on Foster more than Jeudy. Foster is a senior, so Saban is going to give him a chance. But Foster has had issues of every kind during his tenure at Alabama, so we will just have to wait and see.

But Alabama's depth at WR and RB is amazing. Heck, the depth that you are developing across your entire offense, at every position, is hard to believe. Look at every position on offense - you are set for the next 3 years.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I think that depends on Foster more than Jeudy. Foster is a senior, so Saban is going to give him a chance. But Foster has had issues of every kind during his tenure at Alabama, so we will just have to wait and see.

But Alabama's depth at WR and RB is amazing. Heck, the depth that you are developing across your entire offense, at every position, is hard to believe. Look at every position on offense - you are set for the next 3 years.
I think even if he's #4, Jeudy gets 3-4 targets/game

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
With a new WR coach this year, there's no telling how the rotation works. Overall, Napier seemed to stick with a select group of guys.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Yes and no. I think it depends on Foster in that if he is making plays he is going to get his chance because like you said he is a vet. But, if Foster is playing just ok (not poorly) and Jeudy is making huge plays behind him with limited opportunities? At some point you have to make the move. I could see it playing out similarly to how Cooper's Fr year.

I also saw a quote by a Bama player somewhere that said something along the lines of "Having Ridley and Jeudy on both sides will be difficult for DBs." I of course can't find the article this is from now (I think it might be a CW article) and I'm sure that I am reading too much into it but it was just an interesting remark.

I guess I'm just not holding my breath for Foster. He arguably has the 2nd highest ceiling (Shavers being 1st) based on height/speed combo out of all our WRs right now. But he hasn't made an impact yet for a variety of reasons so there is no guarantee he will this year.

With a new WR coach this year, there's no telling how the rotation works. Overall, Napier seemed to stick with a select group of guys.
True. I hadn't thought about how this could impact the rotation. I am also curious how the competition in the slot is going. We haven't had many updates on how Sims has been playing. It would be exciting to have a WR with his size make an impact since I believe the tallest impact receiver we have had under Saban was Julio at 6'3"

EDIT: I found the article Link. And here is the quote “It’s like two clones,” said cornerback Anthony Averett. “Having both of them on both sides is definitely going to be a problem for any defense.”

Last edited:

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Earlier in the Saban era we had more rotation of the receivers than we had under Kiffin. I'm a firm believer in rotating players in as you go because it keeps people fresh, gets them experience, and they will be more ready if they have step in as a starter. Not to mention that each guy has certain strengths and weaknesses that can be taken advantage of. I'm hoping the new OC goes back to doing that more.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Saw the article today where Saban said they probably over protected Hurts relative to developing him. It's a two edged sword, if you gave him more rope he could have hung himself (and the team) with it and they wouldn't have made it to the playoffs. Probably the biggest surprise to me of the entire Saban era was seeing Hurts devolve as a passer so significantly with all that practice time leading up to the playoffs. It's very likely in my opinion that Kiffin being distracted and the staff generally wanting to protect the freshman too much cost us the title. Not wanting to fire them obviously, still the best staff in football, but nobody is perfect.

Going forward I if a player wins the starting job, he won it, let them play and play to win, don't ever play not to lose. You only do that with a big lead and 3 minutes left.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Saw the article today where Saban said they probably over protected Hurts relative to developing him. It's a two edged sword, if you gave him more rope he could have hung himself (and the team) with it and they wouldn't have made it to the playoffs. Probably the biggest surprise to me of the entire Saban era was seeing Hurts devolve as a passer so significantly with all that practice time leading up to the playoffs. It's very likely in my opinion that Kiffin being distracted and the staff generally wanting to protect the freshman too much cost us the title. Not wanting to fire them obviously, still the best staff in football, but nobody is perfect.

Going forward I if a player wins the starting job, he won it, let them play and play to win, don't ever play not to lose. You only do that with a big lead and 3 minutes left.
That is what many of us suspected last year with him being afraid to make a mistake, not playing loose and relying on his legs too much.

Jay Barker interviewed Saban on Jox in Bham to day and he said that we will be a more traditional pro-style than last year and there won't be near as many planned running plays for Jalen. He said he still wants Jalen to run/scramble but it will be more when protection breaks down or the WR are well covered.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

at least in my completely amateur opinion, after jalen's comeback performance in ole miss, i would have let him loose.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
at least in my completely amateur opinion, after jalen's comeback performance in ole miss, i would have let him loose.
That plus the defense Alabama had in 2016 was good enough to pretty much cover Jalen's backside when he made a mistake. It might not have been record setting like it was, but it was good enough to allow Jalen plenty of growing room.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
After Hurts torched MSU for :
28/37347yds9.4avg4TD I really was thinking we were on to something in the passing game.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I would also say that after this game we played the toughest defenses we would play all year and they had almost a year's worth of film on a true freshman.
Add to that the trainwreck that developed with the OC situation. Kiffin was trying to land other jobs, then he was calling plays they hadn't been practicing, then there's a new playcaller. It was just an overall tough situation, but some blame has to go to Kiffin either way.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Add to that the trainwreck that developed with the OC situation. Kiffin was trying to land other jobs, then he was calling plays they hadn't been practicing, then there's a new playcaller. It was just an overall tough situation, but some blame has to go to Kiffin either way.
I did not hear about this problem. Is there a link?

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I did not hear about this problem. Is there a link?
I suppose it qualifies as a rumor, but one spread by some insiders and not refuted by other insiders (including those on this forum).

To put it in a slightly different context. I was at the game and my initial impression was that the problem was poor execution. There were some plays were the some players clearly didn't do what they were supposed to on the play. The explanation that plays were being called that hadn't been practiced in quite some time, certainly would explain why the offense at times seemed entirely unprepared to run the play.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I suppose it qualifies as a rumor, but one spread by some insiders and not refuted by other insiders (including those on this forum).

To put it in a slightly different context. I was at the game and my initial impression was that the problem was poor execution. There were some plays were the some players clearly didn't do what they were supposed to on the play. The explanation that plays were being called that hadn't been practiced in quite some time, certainly would explain why the offense at times seemed entirely unprepared to run the play.
Yep. Yep. Yep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa

I heard this particularly about the Washington game. I was at that game and a couple of times in the second half we ran plays where immediately afterwards players were looking at each other with their palms up shaking their heads. I don't think it was that we had never practiced them, it had just been a long time. I do not think it is just a rumor.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.