Squirrel battles...

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
At the opening of the film The Outlaw Josie Wales, the kid is directed to hand over his .58 caliber musket. He remonstrates with, "I'll be needing this for squirrels and sich."
I have never shot at squirrels, but I reckon you hit a squirrel with a .58 minie ball, all that would be left would be a greasy spot.
Actually a mini ball likely would not expand. There would be a .58 caliber hole where it hit.

Reactions: Toddrn

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
At the opening of the film The Outlaw Josie Wales, the kid is directed to hand over his .58 caliber musket. He remonstrates with, "I'll be needing this for squirrels and sich."
I have never shot at squirrels, but I reckon you hit a squirrel with a .58 minie ball, all that would be left would be a greasy spot.
Love that movie. "Worms gotta eat same as the Buzzard."

Reactions: seebell

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I had to pay to have them trapped after they bore into my attic. It was a lot more expensive than the nice pellet rifle my wife bought me for the next Christmas.

I hate those stupid rats.
Before the city tore down the rats nest falling down house that was next to us, I bought a slingshot, and soon the rats went the other way to my friend Steve's. We both got quite proficient until the city showed up and tore the place down. They hauled off all the rubble and the surviving rats took to the woods along Black Creek. I still have my slingshots and a bunch of marbles. I do my part when they venture near my house.
A guys got to do what a guys got to do... ;)

50 years from now somebody is going to discover 100s of marbles around here. Kids may rediscover how to play Marbles, or how to use a slingshot.
Back story on the Marbles. Barbara Ann and I found what must have been a couple thousand marbles at an Estate sale.
$10 well spent.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I think we need to do an unscientific poll:
1. Have you ever been squirrel hunting?
2. Have you ever eaten squirrel?
3. What is your age?
I'll be willing to bet that very few persons under 60 have ever had this pleasure...

Reactions: seebell

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Years ago I went squirrel hunting with a old friend of mine. My first and only time. We wandered around in the woods craning our necks looking in the trees. Every time I tried to say something my buddy would hiss " Be quite! You're scaring the squirrels." We ended up with no squirrels and a giant crick in our necks. No fun!

I have never eaten squirrel. Some ole country boys worked for me a long while ago. They would bring squirrel heads to work as a mid day snack. I can still hear the sound of their front teeth scrapping the flesh off the squirrel heads. Still gives me the heebie jeebies.

I am 71 years of age.

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
My dad and I squirrel hunted many times when I was young normally after the first frost. We would find a place with nests in the tree tops or forks and take a seat. Normally came home with 3 or 4. They're pretty tasty fried. Primarily hunted quail and dove.

I'm 68 now and unless I shoot one off the wife's bird feeder with my pellet gun those days are long gone.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
OK, so they've developed a taste for blueberries. The nets didn't help. They found a way through. This pic shows a camera which pings my cellphone and a motion-activated sprinkler which blasts them with water, if they get into the bush...View attachment 8286
For be it from you being me... Sounds like some of my exploits. Have you considered dropping an anvil on the Road Runner yet? I'm down to using a slingshot to run em off. Problem: There are more than 50 Squirrels along Black Creek in front of my house. My house is their feeding station. Squirrels are eating my green Tomatoes, My Sunflowers, and raiding my Bird Feeders.

• Smash Keyboard
Reactions: Padreruf

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
For be it from you being me... Sounds like some of my exploits. Have you considered dropping an anvil on the Road Runner yet? I'm down to using a slingshot to run em off. Problem: There are more than 50 Squirrels along Black Creek in front of my house. My house is their feeding station. Squirrels are eating my green Tomatoes, My Sunflowers, and raiding my Bird Feeders.
Just saw this on Twitter regarding the overlap of the intelligence of humans and bears...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.