BREAKING Sugar Bowl: Kansas State vs Alabama

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I think the line is now Bama -4.5. I wonder how much that will change if Bryce and Will and Gibbs and Branch announce that they are not playing. Honestly, I would like to see us actually be an underdog going into this game. If some of our NFL ready guys decide not to play, I want to see who steps up as leaders and players. Of course, if our NFL ready guys decide to play, I hope we come out and play our best game of the year. Roll Tide!

Reactions: Bamamonts

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
This is a great barometer for “the Process” and how many players have truly bought in. It should not matter who are where we are playing. CNS is always talking about it and it’s time to see who’s really ready to set the stage for 2023. Remember how the 10-3 2010 team absolutely annihilated Mich. St.? Set up 2011 and 2012 for back to back titles. That’s what I will be looking for.
As others have mentioned, the Process involved players learning the system, waiting their turn and then capitalizing on the opportunity to play. In the new world of the Portal and NIL the process may take too long for too many to stick around that long.

I don't think the game has passed Saban by, but the current mechanics of college football are going to make it harder for him to adjust considering his age.

Realistically, how many good years can he have left?

That's not a knock on him at all, it's just a reality of getting older.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
As others have mentioned, the Process involved players learning the system, waiting their turn and then capitalizing on the opportunity to play. In the new world of the Portal and NIL the process may take too long for too many to stick around that long.

I don't think the game has passed Saban by, but the current mechanics of college football are going to make it harder for him to adjust considering his age.

Realistically, how many good years can he have left?

That's not a knock on him at all, it's just a reality of getting older.
Admittedly the concept of running complicated systems that take multiple seasons to master is incompatible with teams that are assembled every fall to be taken apart by winter. As much as I hate to say it, simpletons like Hugh Freeze are better suited to thrive in this current environment than Saban.

Countrytider2

1st Team
Oct 25, 2021
I think the line is now Bama -4.5. I wonder how much that will change if Bryce and Will and Gibbs and Branch announce that they are not playing. Honestly, I would like to see us actually be an underdog going into this game. If some of our NFL ready guys decide not to play, I want to see who steps up as leaders and players. Of course, if our NFL ready guys decide to play, I hope we come out and play our best game of the year. Roll Tide!
Everywhere I’ve seen, it’s Bama -3.5….

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Is it bad that I kind of hope Bryce doesn't play? I wouldn't be offended by the other opting out either but Bryce specifically I hope doesn't play

Reactions: Cruloc

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Admittedly the concept of running complicated systems that take multiple seasons to master is incompatible with teams that are assembled every fall to be taken apart by winter. As much as I hate to say it, simpletons like Hugh Freeze are better suited to thrive in this current environment than Saban.
I'm no X's and O's guys, but I've heard others say that Kirby simplified Saban's scheme to make it quicker/easier to master.

As for simplicity, I read an article today about a CA high school that is playing for the state title that hasn't completed a single pass this season and only attempted 7.

Who do they think they are, Navy?

Reactions: Rush

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Is it bad that I kind of hope Bryce doesn't play? I wouldn't be offended by the other opting out either but Bryce specifically I hope doesn't play
Yep, I was thinking it would be great if Milroe played a half and Simpson played a half. Or maybe rotated them by quarter or something. Just get them out there, but specifically Simpson...would like to see him get some meaningful snaps.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
I'm no X's and O's guys, but I've heard others say that Kirby simplified Saban's scheme to make it quicker/easier to master.

As for simplicity, I read an article today about a CA high school that is playing for the state title that hasn't completed a single pass this season and only attempted 7.

Who do they think they are, Navy?
Not an X's and O's guy either but maybe the whole notion of having a "complex defense" is not needed in today's game. Even going back 8-10 years ago. Johnny football, Nick Marshall, and whatever the dudes name was from ole miss would run all over us and get a million yards and points by playing sandlot football and then they would go play LSU with Chavis or someone else with fewer complex schemes. Those guys just a put a spy on Johnny football or Marshall and it would end up being a 24-19 game or something. We had 8 returning starters on defense in 2022 and they were woefully out of place and confused like it was their first game playing D1 football all the way into November.

Reactions: teamplayer and Rush

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Not an X's and O's guy either but maybe the whole notion of having a "complex defense" is not needed in today's game. Even going back 8-10 years ago. Johnny football, Nick Marshall, and whatever the dudes name was from ole miss would run all over us and get a million yards and points by playing sandlot football and then they would go play LSU with Chavis or someone else with fewer complex schemes. Those guys just a put a spy on Johnny football or Marshall and it would end up being a 24-19 game or something. We had 8 returning starters on defense in 2022 and they were woefully out of place and confused like it was their first game playing D1 football all the way into November.
Sometimes you beat complexity with simplicity.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.