BREAKING Sugar Bowl: Kansas State vs Alabama

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I wonder why nobody has pointed out that Bo Scarborough never was faced with the decision he’s making for other people since Alabama played in the NCG all 3 years he was at the school.

If you’re from a poor family and on the precipice of millions of dollars, I simply can’t blame you for not playing in a meaningless bowl game.

What if Bo’s injury in the NCG had occurred in Shreveport instead and led to him not even being drafted at all?

There have been too many cases like Bobby Humphrey or Melvin Bratton for me to judge it too harshly.

And it’s always easy to say “this is what I’d do if I was facing” circumstances when you aren’t the one who has to live with the consequences.

As far as the NFL, I don’t hate the product and I’d agree a number of the objections can equally apply to CFB. I’ve just found I don’t really follow it like the younger guy who used to enter the “pick ‘em” every week and even wrote one for the base newspaper once. And part of that is because the four-team divisions and expanded playoffs reduce regular season interest; in my case, I get drunk on pigskin on Saturday and then recover on Sunday by abstaining.

A few things the NFL has done have been good - opening up the passing game, adding one extra WC (6 in each league), expanding to Jax and Charlotte and returning teams to Houston and Cleveland, free agency, etc. l even think the Rooney Rule was a good idea given history.

Remember the unbeaten Patriots I mentioned? The other thing that pushed me away was when the 2010 Saints had an 11-5 record and had to go play a playoff game AT 7-9 Seattle, a team they had clobbered, 34-19, in the regular season. Four games better but because you happen to be in the division with a 13-win team and so screw you, the bad team gets home field advantage because of office decisions not who earned it.

That’s no different than the “you have to win your conference” CFB argument.

What if your conference sucks?

Sorry I sound on a rage, I’m really not plus I am a firm believer that people should do what they want.

But this is where CFB is losing me. I have zero incentive to watch the Falcons go 13-3 in the regular season because if Brady goes 14-2, Atlanta winds up playing a 10-6 team on the road, which doesn’t strike me as particularly fair.

We will wind up with someone complaining now because they have to play Alabama, only a 5 seed because the star slipped on a banana peel in pregame warmups before the SECCG.

I’m headed for the booze cabinet.
With NIL, especially for stars, even if they come from poor backgrounds the financial dynamic has changed for some. And I think you may see less of the iffy draft picks opting out, or even jumping. I’ll wait for the final numbers, I could very well be wrong.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Not really sure you got what I meant. My comment was more done sarcastically in jest. Perception is not always reality.

As I am confident you are well aware, we primarily share opinions and insight, sometimes humor and sometimes sarcasm on this board.

The post you quoted though has nothing to do with me calling out fans, their criticisms and or the willingness to call attention to poor coaching per se, I certainly have addressed my opinions on coaching changes issues and the need for change ad nauseum in other previous posts.

It was more to point out that in spite of everything else, the disappointment some of us feel as fans only exists because of the abnormally high bar Coach Saban and our past successes has set. I am beyond glad that we are the gold standard in college football and that bar is there and that high. I also agree that there are certain expectations and levels that should be maintained or exceeded to ensure ongoing future success.

At the same time, however, I can acknowledge that we are spoiled as a fan base, and that there are teams that our disappointment this year would be their best season in decades or quite possibly ever for their program.

More just recognizing that we have a lot to be thankful for and it’s not too bad being a BAMA fan. It’s good to be the king.

RTR
I honestly didn’t even read your post at all other than where I saw the “being spoiled sucks sometimes “ before I posted. I had watched an interview with CNS and he was griping about fan complaints and used the word “spoiled” and it just rubbed me the wrong way.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I wonder why nobody has pointed out that Bo Scarborough never was faced with the decision he’s making for other people since Alabama played in the NCG all 3 years he was at the school.

If you’re from a poor family and on the precipice of millions of dollars, I simply can’t blame you for not playing in a meaningless bowl game.

What if Bo’s injury in the NCG had occurred in Shreveport instead and led to him not even being drafted at all?

There have been too many cases like Bobby Humphrey or Melvin Bratton for me to judge it too harshly.

And it’s always easy to say “this is what I’d do if I was facing” circumstances when you aren’t the one who has to live with the consequences.

As far as the NFL, I don’t hate the product and I’d agree a number of the objections can equally apply to CFB. I’ve just found I don’t really follow it like the younger guy who used to enter the “pick ‘em” every week and even wrote one for the base newspaper once. And part of that is because the four-team divisions and expanded playoffs reduce regular season interest; in my case, I get drunk on pigskin on Saturday and then recover on Sunday by abstaining.

A few things the NFL has done have been good - opening up the passing game, adding one extra WC (6 in each league), expanding to Jax and Charlotte and returning teams to Houston and Cleveland, free agency, etc. l even think the Rooney Rule was a good idea given history.

Remember the unbeaten Patriots I mentioned? The other thing that pushed me away was when the 2010 Saints had an 11-5 record and had to go play a playoff game AT 7-9 Seattle, a team they had clobbered, 34-19, in the regular season. Four games better but because you happen to be in the division with a 13-win team and so screw you, the bad team gets home field advantage because of office decisions not who earned it.

That’s no different than the “you have to win your conference” CFB argument.

What if your conference sucks?

Sorry I sound on a rage, I’m really not plus I am a firm believer that people should do what they want.

But this is where CFB is losing me. I have zero incentive to watch the Falcons go 13-3 in the regular season because if Brady goes 14-2, Atlanta winds up playing a 10-6 team on the road, which doesn’t strike me as particularly fair.

We will wind up with someone complaining now because they have to play Alabama, only a 5 seed because the star slipped on a banana peel in pregame warmups before the SECCG.

I’m headed for the booze cabinet.
Like Dallas or not, they are in the same boat this year. Philly running a away with it and Dallas will have to travel in the first round.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I agree. I hate to say it but it’s almost like we are *tired* of winning. Tired of that target being on our back for 15+ years. Tired of literally getting everyone’s A game for years. No one ever fails to “get up” for Bama. Complacency has finally set in.

Add in the NIL and Transfer Portal….and I don’t know if even the GOAT wants to deal with it much longer. We are just not hungry anymore, and it shows…

EDIT: I’m not saying the dynasty is dead. I fully appreciate a 10-2 season and a #5 ranking. I hope we finish on a high note, 11-2 and top 5 final ranking.

We have to get that fire back, and I think changes have to be made. I don’t think the answer is to “stand pat”.

Roll Tide 🐘

All dynasties fall at some point and all great leaders lose that edge that made them great. It happens, will happen, and may have already happened. Bama under Nick Saban has been the greatest dynasty of all time period. He may still have another run at a title under his belt, but the sun is setting.
Coach is still the GOAT and as a human and competitor remains at the elite championship level.

But generals don’t win battles on their own. There has to be a TEAM of people that are as bought in as the leader.

Now, the coaching and scheme deficiencies do concern me…

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Spoiled is not the word. Whether CNS admits it or not...he has also indicated that he is frustrated with this bunch.
It was for good reason that we thought this team would perform better than last year's squad.

Last edited:
Reactions: dtgreg and Rush

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Can go one of two ways. Use it to prove the point we were a better team so motivated to pound KSU...or...players dont care, sit out and we get rolled by an inferior team...hoping for the former, fearing we get the latter
And if this game is approached like Bama approached some of the games during the season..we will get rolled like we did versus Louisville (1990) and Utah (2008). KSU is not a great team, but they will sure enough look like one if Bama doesnt come to play.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
And if this game is approached like Bama approached some of the games during the season..we will get rolled like we did versus Louisville (1990) and Utah (2008). KSU is not a great team, but they will sure enough look like one if Bama doesnt come to play.
Agree completely. In this " new era " of college football, I wonder if the non-playoff bowls are now relegated to providing a second spring training with a high profile scrimmage at the conclusion. Hate to think that. Would hope we would have more pride than that.

Reactions: Tenntiderman

BamaHoops

3rd Team
Jan 13, 2019
Would probably be a good point if it WAS facts. Do you HONESTLY believe Saban has abandoned"toughness" or do you believe that he isn't an idiot, sees what needs to be fixed and will address it? Yeah, could have happened sooner. But, with the turnover we have maybe he decided to see if it could gel. I'm sure he sees that it didn't and will do what needs to be done. He's the goat for a reason.
I'm basing my comments on physical toughness due to what I saw on the field this year.

BamaHoops

3rd Team
Jan 13, 2019
The talent gap is very real. But it’s coaching, scheme, and utilization of that talent that’s handcuffing us.
Agree - add to that mental toughness and motivation. Hope I'm wrong - but I'm going on what I witnessed on the field this year. Arm tackling, bad coverage in secondary, and somewhat of a casual attitude by players about their sub-standard performances. This isn't only my opinion - it's the opinion of many other Bama players from the Saban era.

Bama is no longer physically or mentally tough. Teams no longer fear playing us (unless it's Miss St). Our program - relative to all the other programs in the top 25 - is in decline. Yeah - we'll have the top recruiting class - in the Portal era that doesn't mean what it used to.

But if anyone saw physical or mental toughness by our team this year - other than a very few players - please let me know where.

Reactions: The Ols and B1GTide

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I realize history suggests we will sleep walk into the SugarBowl and promptly face plant in front of everyone igniting another firestorm of "Saban needs to retire" stories. But this is our first foray into "post armature non playoff college bowl season". Alabama will be playing without two sets of players. One being the 1st round talents or players who are injured and sit out to help prepare for the draft, the second group are players who just want to leave (and have). The players who remain should be "A" talented, and "B" pretty interested in winning and making a name for themselves. This leaves just the lack of actual experience being the issue. Between unmotivated and inexperienced, I'll take the inexperienced player who is motivated any day of the week and Twice on Saturday.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Practice starts this Friday, Dec. 16. The team will practice 7 times before Christmas.
So, I guess we will know on Friday if Bryce and Will opt out or not. I think they both play.
In a recent interview Will seemed excited about the upcoming bowl game, which seems to suggest that he's planning to play. Bryce has been silent since the Iron Bowl so I have no idea about him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.