TEXAS A&M Week

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
"10 in the box and make him throw". Is there anyone on the board who doesn`t think they`ll do that? The coaching staff HAS to know that and scheme accordingly. Everybody needs to be prepared for us not running for 250 yards this weekend and not get upset when we don`t. BOB is going to have to do some different things....like.... throw on 1st or 2nd down? Maybe? It`ll be interesting to see how they plan for this one.
Doesn't matter who is behind the center this weekend because they know Alabama can run the ball, but at same time I think we want Texas AM to do that. It just mean we know they'll blitze more, leaving one of our guys open. Texas have to be careful and find balance in their approach. I don't think Bama will change their scheme, just probably gonna run little more than the usual.

I wouldn't be shocked if we were up by 21 points by half time then suddenly we control TOP in 2nd half. They won't give Texas many opportunities especially when they have qb issues this week.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Doesn't matter who is behind the center this weekend because they know Alabama can run the ball, but at same time I think we want Texas AM to do that. It just mean we know they'll blitze more, leaving one of our guys open. Texas have to be careful and find balance in their approach. I don't think Bama will change their scheme, just probably gonna run little more than the usual.

I wouldn't be shocked if we were up by 21 points by half time then suddenly we control TOP in 2nd half. They won't give Texas many opportunities especially when they have qb issues this week.
I'm channeling Lane Kiffin and Sark here and asking "What would they do?" going into this game. If we still had one of them I can almost guarantee they would anticipate aTm doing exactly what we all think they're going to do and that's load the box and force Milroe to beat them with his arm. They would start the game off with high percentage passes, even going as far as passing four to five consecutive times just to try and catch aTm off guard with a quick score or use it as tendency breakers.

But one thing I am almost certain about, is they would not start the game off with three straight runs.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Bama had great rushing numbers against Arkansas, but I'm still not 100% sold on the run game. a 75 yard TD is awesome. However, to me, getting 10 straight runs of 6, 7, and 8 yards before getting into the end zone is more indicative of a good run game.

On Milroe's 77 yard scramble Arkansas had 3 down lineman and then 3 LBs come down in the box. Bama had 3 WRs to the right with 3 DBs covering them. Bama had a TE on the left with a safety on him. They had a deep safety in the middle of the field. Bumper Pool, #10 for Arkansas, was spying Milroe. Pool lost containment when Milroe started to scramble and then it was all over.

On the first long run by Gibbs they had 4 down linemen, 2 LBs, and 5 DBs. Bama had 3 WRs split out wide to the left and one to the right and Gibbs next to Milroe in the shotgun. It looked to be an RPO with a screen to the left as an option. Maybe it was run all the way, but to the defense it looked like a pass play. Drew Sanders was out wide ready to defend the pass and moved to his right when the ball was snapped and his man looked to be blocking for a screen pass. The 5 lineman blocked the 4 defensive linemen plus the LB (Sanders was out wide and out of the box by this point) and Gibbs read it well and once he made his cut there was no one to stop him. Actually a really well designed play that was executed well. Arkansas didn't play it poorly, Bama just got 'em. The center did a fantastic job on the play. He blocked the DT and then moved up to the LB and took him out of the play opening up a huge hole for Gibbs.

On the second long run by Gibbs Bama had a TE on the line, plus 2 WRs to the right with another WR (the speedy Bond) coming from left to right. Gibbs was next to Milroe in the shotgun. Arky had 4 down lineman and 4 LBs/DBs in the box plus a safety right on the edge of the box too. Looks like a run or maybe quick toss to Bond in space. The LBs move left at the snap to cover Bond. The ball is run to the left and the blockers on the left do a great job of blocking and one Arky DB gets out of position and it's all over. Funnily enough Bama's RT fires off the ball and looks around for someone to block as there's no one around him.

So Bama's run game made some plays, but Arky was out of position some too. That happens. We'll see if they can be more consistent.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Milroe is no Bryce/Mac/Tua, but he can pass. He's just not as accurate as what we've had with the afore mentioned. I do see a game plan with more runs than passes. Maybe even some designed for him. He's dangerous when he gets open. It would be nice if Bryce's injury is minor enough he can play. But if not, I think Milroe will do well. Might even see Ty come in some. Yes, he's a freshman. But he is pretty good. Texas's Ewers is a freshman, and we saw what he could do. Hurts was a freshman when he started. I'm not worried about the quarterback situation.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I hope we destroy them with Milroe. I'm talking run for 400 yards with Milroe, Gibbs and McClellan each going over 100 yards. 50 - 0 type game

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: Con

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Bama had great rushing numbers against Arkansas, but I'm still not 100% sold on the run game. a 75 yard TD is awesome. However, to me, getting 10 straight runs of 6, 7, and 8 yards before getting into the end zone is more indicative of a good run game.

On Milroe's 77 yard scramble Arkansas had 3 down lineman and then 3 LBs come down in the box. Bama had 3 WRs to the right with 3 DBs covering them. Bama had a TE on the left with a safety on him. They had a deep safety in the middle of the field. Bumper Pool, #10 for Arkansas, was spying Milroe. Pool lost containment when Milroe started to scramble and then it was all over.

On the first long run by Gibbs they had 4 down linemen, 2 LBs, and 5 DBs. Bama had 3 WRs split out wide to the left and one to the right and Gibbs next to Milroe in the shotgun. It looked to be an RPO with a screen to the left as an option. Maybe it was run all the way, but to the defense it looked like a pass play. Drew Sanders was out wide ready to defend the pass and moved to his right when the ball was snapped and his man looked to be blocking for a screen pass. The 5 lineman blocked the 4 defensive linemen plus the LB (Sanders was out wide and out of the box by this point) and Gibbs read it well and once he made his cut there was no one to stop him. Actually a really well designed play that was executed well. Arkansas didn't play it poorly, Bama just got 'em. The center did a fantastic job on the play. He blocked the DT and then moved up to the LB and took him out of the play opening up a huge hole for Gibbs.

On the second long run by Gibbs Bama had a TE on the line, plus 2 WRs to the right with another WR (the speedy Bond) coming from left to right. Gibbs was next to Milroe in the shotgun. Arky had 4 down lineman and 4 LBs/DBs in the box plus a safety right on the edge of the box too. Looks like a run or maybe quick toss to Bond in space. The LBs move left at the snap to cover Bond. The ball is run to the left and the blockers on the left do a great job of blocking and one Arky DB gets out of position and it's all over. Funnily enough Bama's RT fires off the ball and looks around for someone to block as there's no one around him.

So Bama's run game made some plays, but Arky was out of position some too. That happens. We'll see if they can be more consistent.
Thanks or posting those runs. I tend to agree gashing them for 5-8 yards runs is more realistic than thinking we'll break off three 70+ runs.

But those runs were also blocked very well, especially the two by Gibbs. JM just did what an athlete of his caliber can do and Pool was not match even when he was spying him.

But, I just can't get past how stupid it was for BOB to call a pass after JM's long run FROM THE TWO YARD LINE! This is when you run it 4 straight times to get into the EZ. That was almost a disaster!!!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Milroe is no Bryce/Mac/Tua, but he can pass. He's just not as accurate as what we've had with the afore mentioned. I do see a game plan with more runs than passes. Maybe even some designed for him. He's dangerous when he gets open. It would be nice if Bryce's injury is minor enough he can play. But if not, I think Milroe will do well. Might even see Ty come in some. Yes, he's a freshman. But he is pretty good. Texas's Ewers is a freshman, and we saw what he could do. Hurts was a freshman when he started. I'm not worried about the quarterback situation.
Agreed, but whatever type of passes we have installed for Milroe, it has to be a real threat for him to complete, or aTm will completely ignore it and continue to fill the box. The Richardson kid from Florida comes to mind, I've watched games where he was so "off" with his passes that the other team just dismissed it and continued to crowd the box.

BOB needs to install high percentage, quick-hitting passes so Milroe has a higher probability of completing them, build confidence, then as he builds confidence start giving him shots to throw downfield.

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
My hope is that JMs mobility will cause for bigger windows in the passing game. So while he isn't as accurate as some of our previous guys, he may not have to be as accurate.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
What is the most points Bama has scored against Texas AM under Saban, 59-0? If so, I hope the score is 70-0. Has Bama ever scored 70 under Coach Saban? I can't recall for sure, but I don't think so.

At first I thought Coach will not let off the gas and try to score as much as possible (like he did vs Michigan). Now I think he may play more conservative the last few minutes of the game (if there is a huge lead) like he usually does.

No matter the score after Bama wins, I just hope there are no more injuries. It is so frustrating and sad to see injuries each game.

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018
Agreed, but whatever type of passes we have installed for Milroe, it has to be a real threat for him to complete, or aTm will completely ignore it and continue to fill the box. The Richardson kid from Florida comes to mind, I've watched games where he was so "off" with his passes that the other team just dismissed it and continued to crowd the box.

BOB needs to install high percentage, quick-hitting passes so Milroe has a higher probability of completing them, build confidence, then as he builds confidence start giving him shots to throw downfield.
if i were 8&4 i would just ignore the WR and put 11 in box with the way our WR drop balls and the way Milroe completes one

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al

Thanks for post those. I noticed rewatching each of the videos that Milroe is just plain fast from beginning to end while Gibbs is slower and shifty in the wads of players until he gets out to open space. Then he is fun to watch because you literally see him shift into another gear and just leave everyone behind.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
What I'd love to see, is a re-enactment of this on the first play....

There is just something about
What I'd love to see, is a re-enactment of this on the first play....

I think that #17 has become one of my favorite numbers.

Drake 17
Waddle 17
Bond 17 (he reminded me of Waddle on a couple of plays. Hoping that turns into a thing)

Reactions: B1GTide

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.