The “New” Alabama Offense Under DeBoer/Grubb

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
DeBoer doesn't see Milroe like you do. DeBoer sees him as a dangerous weapon, as he has a Midas touch with quarterbacks. I think he helps Milroe correct a lot of those issues. We'll see.
If DeBoer can't fix the problem we could be left with a couple of Freshmen. I was hoping for more competition to see if our other QBs are close to running the DeBoer Offense. I'm looking for the Fallback options if Milroe still can't read defenses.

Reactions: Tidelines

Grogan11

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 10, 2023
Anybody think bringing in Will Rogers is a good idea? I would’ve said no a week ago but after how the last week has gone I would definitely give it some serious thought if I were CKD.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Anybody think bringing in Will Rogers is a good idea? I would’ve said no a week ago but after how the last week has gone I would definitely give it some serious thought if I were CKD.
Not if it risks any of our guys transferring out.
I’d rather take my lumps with the young guys we have and them learning the system than to have a one year vet and then to lose any of the guys we have.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I would almost guarantee DeBoer is going to give Milroe a really long look at QB.

Apparently Milroe has been one of the leaders in getting players to stay. He's also obviously the incumbent starter.

I don't think DeBoer will simply hand him the job but I do think he'll make sure he gives Milroe a real opportunity to win it. I wouldn't even be surprised if we split reps game 1 if Milroe hasn't won it outright.

Granted I have no idea what DeBoer's philosophy or style is I just assume based on the little I've seen that he's going to try not to rock the boat too hard too quickly.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
IMHO, no. He is a very good person and a good QB, especially for Leach's offense, but I'm not sure he is any better fit for CKD's offense than the QB's that we already have on the roster.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
CKD started Penix as a freshman, I'm not certain Sayin won't be the guy next year.
I'm trying to not get overly excited about it but just watching the HS stuff he has Tua/Bryce level talent.

If he can pick up the new system quicker than the other guys it's going to be almost impossible to keep him off the field.

I think Ty is the only guy who could beat him out but they are all on even footing right now with a new playbook/system and a staff who won't play favorites due to loyalty.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Just watching the breakdowns of the video posted of CKD's offense, he is going to have to learn how to make RPO rreads and not have them predetermined. There are a lot of moving parts in his offense. As one the guys in the video says, " if you're on defense you better know your reads" referring to how confusing the presnap alignments can be on the defense.
Yep

Our most recent OC's have been playing tiddlywinks

CKD and Grubb play 5D Chess while the board's view is obstructed with smoke and mirrors.

If Ty or Sayin can mentally pick things up then go ahead and pour one out for opposing defenses.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Yep

Our most recent OC's have been playing tiddlywinks

CKD and Grubb play 5D Chess while the board's view is obstructed with smoke and mirrors.

If Ty or Sayin can mentally pick things up then go ahead and pour one out for opposing defenses.
Other teams can’t just watch film from years gone by now knowing that Coach Saban really keeps the offense the same. They have to do a lot more preparation to get ready for us now.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I would almost guarantee DeBoer is going to give Milroe a really long look at QB.

Apparently Milroe has been one of the leaders in getting players to stay. He's also obviously the incumbent starter.

I don't think DeBoer will simply hand him the job but I do think he'll make sure he gives Milroe a real opportunity to win it. I wouldn't even be surprised if we split reps game 1 if Milroe hasn't won it outright.

Granted I have no idea what DeBoer's philosophy or style is I just assume based on the little I've seen that he's going to try not to rock the boat too hard too quickly.
Losing will empty the locker room faster than changing QBs. If he is smart, his focus will be on preparing the team to play winning football, not making any single player happy.

Carollovestide

Scout Team
Dec 6, 2019
A lot of the quitters going to the TP will absolutely regret not coming/staying here. Most of these are offensive players and we're about to build an awesome offense. I hope they do well in life but I hope their playing days go down the toilet. I have nothing for them.
I’m with you !!!!!!! If they don’t care enough about Bama to stay and continue the TRADITION then i say don’t let the door hit ya in the behind on the way out the door !!!!!

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Milro is still QB1 until someone beats him out. The primary difference now is that all the QB's are learning this offense from scratch so time in the system doesn't necessarily help you. But there are certain universal qualities a player gets from live action that will translate. Alabama's passing attack was extremely anemic last season. JM was very accurate with the long ball if he's allowed to just sit back there. Something the Barn found out the hard way. You can't run an offense on that however. You win games by getting first downs and with red zone performance. JM will need to up his game to keep his job. It's as simple as that. Can he? Will he? We shall see. There is no reason he can't build on what he learned last year and a different system might help him do that. We will know a little more after spring.

• Haha
Reactions: HighlandOak and UAH

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.