The unintended consequences thread for the soon to be "new format" of CFB

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
So where does that settlement money come from and who pays it? :unsure:

If at the school level (will filter down to it eventually), it occurred to me that paying players isn't anything new. It's just legal now.

With that said, a lot of those players did receive money. I wonder if a school will bow up and recount how they paid so and so this much money, so that should be deducted.

I think Pat Dye's Ledger would suddenly appear...;)

You just know that $cam will be one of the first ones coming back to claim his.:rolleyes:

Me thinks that awbern would demand a $180K discount on what he will claim.
I maybe wrong but I think the university is responsible for paying it.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
So where does that settlement money come from and who pays it? :unsure:

If at the school level (will filter down to it eventually), it occurred to me that paying players isn't anything new. It's just legal now.

With that said, a lot of those players did receive money. I wonder if a school will bow up and recount how they paid so and so this much money, so that should be deducted.

I think Pat Dye's Ledger would suddenly appear...;)

You just know that $cam will be one of the first ones coming back to claim his.:rolleyes:

Me thinks that awbern would demand a $180K discount on what he will claim.
The YELLOW FELLOW will be remembered as where it all started at Auburn. S.N.A.S.S.

Bama_N_Va

All-SEC
Aug 16, 2017
I'm itching to throw humor at that one and can't come up with a thing... :unsure: ;)
The real bowl name was the Russell Athletic Bowl. I called it the Russell Athletic Jock Strap Bowl. I threw all in on the humor for that bowl.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I maybe wrong but I think the university is responsible for paying it.
So who assesses how much each school is obligated to spend and on whom? :unsure:

Like I said, I won't be surprised to see some pushback by some schools for benefits that were already "paid".;)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
So who assesses how much each school is obligated to spend and on whom? :unsure:

Like I said, I won't be surprised to see some pushback by some schools for benefits that were already "paid".;)
I have no idea but what is being reported is the "courts" are advising the NCAA it is in their best interest to settle because if it goes to court the number would more than likely be much, much worse. So, IMO, the NCAA/schools would negotiate that number in settlement talks.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I have no idea but what is being reported is the "courts" are advising the NCAA it is in their best interest to settle because if it goes to court the number would more than likely be much, much worse. So, IMO, the NCAA/schools would negotiate that number in settlement talks.
Hmmm.

So the ncaa would be held accountable?

What keeps the member schools from simply seceding from the ncaa and just let the ncaa deal with it? :unsure:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Hmmm.

So the ncaa would be held accountable?

What keeps the member schools from simply seceding from the ncaa and just let the ncaa deal with it? :unsure:
The school would be held accountable/liable for the athletes who attended their institution and participated in sports without being able to capitalize on their NIL. That's how I understand it.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I miss the days when post-season was only 1 bowl. I don't see how this new format will be affordable to fans. Way too many post season games for a team making a playoff run.

Reactions: sonoma

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
The school would be held accountable/liable for the athletes who attended their institution and participated in sports without being able to capitalize on their NIL. That's how I understand it.
But, the suit was against the NCAA, not the individual schools.

I know it's semantics, but lawyers thrive on that kind of thing...🙄

Seriously, if everyone suddenly resigned from the ncaa and left them holding the bag...the ncaa couldn't afford the legal fees to pursue each and everyone of them. There will be school lawyers investigating the feasibilty of the move. FSU comes to mind.

THIS is would would bring down the ncaa once and for all.:cool:

Last edited:

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
I can see major universities spin off their athletic departments into their own corporations with the athletes as employees of the corporation instead of the university. Athletes will have contracts with these corporations and class attendance will not be necessary. Major college sports is dead.

BamaFan6462

Aug 24, 2023
I miss the days when post-season was only 1 bowl. I don't see how this new format will be affordable to fans. Way too many post season games for a team making a playoff run.
It’s not meant to be affordable to fans, just like it’s not going to help underprivileged athletes earn a college education. I wish someone could force them to remove ”college” and “collegiate” from any media that covers the sport, because it‘s a sham at this point.

Latest threads