Tua's Injury

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Ruggs wild card is that he can blow people away with his speed. He's not just fast he has a legitimate shot at breaking the 40 combine record fast. And there always seem to be teams that buy into that kind of stuff.
He has excellent hands, although all our receivers do, but he does have world-class speed and you may be right...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I'm not sure all of them -- or any of them -- should or will leave. None of them is a first round draft pick in my outstanding observation...they just don't seem to stack up, individually or together, to the OL's we have had in the past.
Wills and Leatherwood are both getting 1st round looks.....

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I think Ruggs might come back if Tua does. But I expect both to go pro.

jasongilbert69

1st Team
Oct 11, 2019
I'm not sure all of them -- or any of them -- should or will leave. None of them is a first round draft pick in my outstanding observation...they just don't seem to stack up, individually or together, to the OL's we have had in the past.
What makes you so sure Ruggs is coming back?

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Disregard if already discussed, but I would think next year's O-line would probably be a factor in any discussion of Tua coming back (which I think highly unlikely in the event of a favorable rehab). Looks like Leatherwood, Brown, Dickerson, and Wills are all juniors. If they all declare, then we're looking at a rebuild, which would be a big mark in the minus column.

Best to assume Tua goes with our gratitude and best wishes for a long and lucrative NFL career.

A WR corps of Ruggs, Waddle, and Metchie, however, does have me salivating a little.....
Not to hijack the thread but we are going to have at least 4-5 talented wrs in Waddle, Metchie, Bolden, Shavers and Jones-Bell ... and this is not counting TEs and RBs. Our receiving corps should be a strength again.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Not to hijack the thread but we are going to have at least 4-5 talented wrs in Waddle, Metchie, Bolden, Shavers and Jones-Bell ... and this is not counting TEs and RBs. Our receiving corps should be a strength again.
I would love to see Mac with a full offseason as the starter, and see what he can do with those guys.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It's interesting to me that they keep saying "full recovery." At the same time, Tua has said that he's lost some internal rotation of his femur, which I would expect. I've had total hip replacement on the right, and the same motion restriction happened to me. It affects thing right down to putting on your socks. It sounds to me that something like "almost complete recovery, not expected to affect performance" is more what they're promising...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's interesting to me that they keep saying "full recovery." At the same time, Tua has said that he's lost some internal rotation of his femur, which I would expect. I've had total hip replacement on the right, and the same motion restriction happened to me. It affects thing right down to putting on your socks. It sounds to me that something like "almost complete recovery, not expected to affect performance" is more what they're promising...
At this point in his rehab, how would Tua even be able to know he's lost some natural rotation?

Seems like that wouldn't be known until there's been more time for complete healing.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Perhaps they mean 'recovery' from an "able to play football without pain/discomfort", etc...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
At this point in his rehab, how would Tua even be able to know he's lost some natural rotation?

Seems like that wouldn't be known until there's been more time for complete healing.
If you'll Google around, he's already spoken to it. It's not too early and I suppose the docs have already informed him. In repairing, they affect the solid geometry of the joint. It's inevitable...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If you'll Google around, he's already spoken to it. It's not too early and I suppose the docs have already informed him. In repairing, they affect the solid geometry of the joint. It's inevitable...
That's the way I read it, too. Hope it is wrong, or at least minimal, but it looks like this will impact him in some way.

Tide99

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017
Over 10 years ago I played tennis with a 42 year old guy who had a complete hip replacement. He was fast with amazing lateral movement and ability to change directions quickly. You would never have known and just thought to yourself this guy has always been an amazing athlete. I was blown away he had a completely artificial hip.

With today's medicine, the absolute world class care and rehab Tua is receiving, and the fact he's one the .001% of the athletes in the world, there is no reason he cannot recover to play QB at the highest level.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Over 10 years ago I played tennis with a 42 year old guy who had a complete hip replacement. He was fast with amazing lateral movement and ability to change directions quickly. You would never have known and just thought to yourself this guy has always been an amazing athlete. I was blown away he had a completely artificial hip.

With today's medicine, the absolute world class care and rehab Tua is receiving, and the fact he's one the .001% of the athletes in the world, there is no reason he cannot recover to play QB at the highest level.
But they don't hit you in tennis...I do think Tua will recover to where this injury is not a factor -- through training and stretching he can be better than ever.

Anyone else think he needs to work on his lateral quickness as well as learning how to fall?

Reactions: tideindc

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
Anyone else think he needs to work on his lateral quickness as well as learning how to fall?
With his talent, he can make a great play if given one down. He needs to work on throwing the ball away quicker. Perhaps too many times in the past, he's held on to the ball trying to make a play when it wasn't critical. Make a read or two, then live for another day. It's a lesson most QBs take awhile to learn.

Reactions: Padreruf

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Yes, but it also depends on whether the rim of the pelvis shattered like it did in Tua's injury. Most hips don't, from what I've read, as the impact needed for that is pretty significant.

Not saying he wont heal back to 100% as he is an elite athlete, but I don't think it's a given.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
As I posted above, he's already said that his internal rotation is diminished. Whether or not that affects his play is an open question until it's resolved, probably on the field...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.