UCLA and USC WILL Join the B1G in 2024

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
Dennis Dodd, the most reliable cfb reporter ever, is reporting now that Notre Dame has decided to stand pat. And that if ND isn't going to move, the Big Ten isn't going any further, and if the Big Ten isn't adding anybody else, the SEC is done for now as well.

He is also reporting that the Big 12 is in deep discussions with Arizona, ASU, Colorado, and Utah and that they for once are thinking aggressively. The Big 12 is also apparently trying to woo Washington and Oregon along as well, since they are apparently being shelved by the Big Ten.

Finally, the remaining Pac 12 presidents have given the conference commissioner to go ahead today to being rights negotiations with tv partners (what the hell they are able to offer without the presence of USC and UCLA is not known at this time).

It's a bold move by the Big 12 that just might stabilize things. For now.
Dennis Dodd may be the one in the know, but sitting pat right now is not what I would describe the SEC doing. I expect there will plenty of backroom discussions about the next 4 teams to be added to the SEC and plenty of "burner phone calls". PAC 12 and Big 12 and ACC are all running scared and talking with each other.

SEC needs to be preparing to go for 20 teams, or more and soon.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I truly believe that Dr. Whitt's plan was to take us to AAU status or at least give us a chance to get there, if need be, to compete.
If I am not mistaken, the issue as it pertains to UA is the medical school. Technically, that is UAB. But UA cannot count that towards its AAU eligibility. This is also a similar reason why Nebraska's membership was revoked. The main campus is in Lincoln, and the medical school is in Omaha or something like that. I'm sure I'm trampling all over the details but that's the big picture view as I remember it.

Reactions: dtgreg

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Latest I've heard this morning as I'm sure some of you have. A "loose" partnership between the Pac 12 and ACC which would include a number of non-con games against one another and a championship game in Las Vegas.

Makes no damn sense. I cannot see Clemson, FSU, and Miami agreeing to that.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Latest I've heard this morning as I'm sure some of you have. A "loose" partnership between the Pac 12 and ACC which would include a number of non-con games against one another and a championship game in Las Vegas.

Makes no damn sense. I cannot see Clemson, FSU, and Miami agreeing to that.
A championship between the ACC and the PAC-? is like choosing the skinniest fat guy.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If I am not mistaken, the issue as it pertains to UA is the medical school. Technically, that is UAB. But UA cannot count that towards its AAU eligibility. This is also a similar reason why Nebraska's membership was revoked. The main campus is in Lincoln, and the medical school is in Omaha or something like that. I'm sure I'm trampling all over the details but that's the big picture view as I remember it.
Well that’s easy to get around. Nebraska’s med school is UNO but they try to say UNL and UNO share the med school 🏫

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Well that’s easy to get around. Nebraska’s med school is UNO but they try to say UNL and UNO share the med school 🏫
Why Nebraska was ousted from the AAU

The AAU dumped Nebraska essentially for two reasons.
First, the University of Nebraska’s medical school is at its Omaha campus, not the flagship campus in Lincoln. So, any federal research dollar, premier faculty member and publication in a prestigious journal from the medical school couldn’t be counted toward Nebraska’s AAU status.
Second, the university focuses heavily on agriculture research, a priority for a land grant institution. But in the eyes of the AAU, most agricultural research is not peer-reviewed, competitive research, so it is “not considered as highly,” AAU spokesman Barry Toiv said, compared with medical and economic research.
Capricious and Arbitrary. I say again, membership in the AAU is meaningless in the grand scheme of life. It's nothing more than another bureaucratic club based upon wealth and influence, and who you are friends with. Just another high school clique on steroids. But, the Big Ten (and others) say it matters, so it matters.

Nebraska was actually voted out by the other members, so there was no doubt bad blood involved.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Why Nebraska was ousted from the AAU

Capricious and Arbitrary. I say again, membership in the AAU is meaningless in the grand scheme of life. It's nothing more than another bureaucratic club based upon wealth and influence, and who you are friends with. Just another high school clique on steroids. But, the Big Ten (and others) say it matters, so it matters.

Nebraska was actually voted out by the other members, so there was no doubt bad blood involved.
Thanks. There was a lot of issues between Creighton and UNO over funds. I remember distinctly that Creighton made claims they had better medical research than UNO. It is always weird that Omaha has two medical schools about 3 blocks apart from each other.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Seems like notre dame realized that instead of playing Duke, Wake Forrest, Georgia Tech and Virginia they might have to play Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State and State Penn and USCw, so they thought nah, we good.
It's so ridiculously self-aggrandizing.

No one cares they are Independent and can play games here and there as they choose. They get poor ratings on NBC unless those games are against Georgia or Clemson. Even their game against USC is poorly rated these days because USC has sucked since Pete Carroll left them in tatters.

They are out on this island, all alone and feeling special, and no one could care less. I do not deny that the various powers that be do not care enough to at least give them some kind of leeway with the playoff/postseason. But ultimately, there is nothing special about Notre Dame except they have an over inflated sense of self-worth.

However, if they joined the Big Ten or the SEC, interest in Notre Dame would go way up. Today? Do you care if they are playing those teams you mentioned? LOL, no. You don't even care if they are playing Florida State these days unless it is a stand alone game on Labor Day night. Independent Notre Dame is a dead dinosaur. They just don't know it yet.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
It's so ridiculously self-aggrandizing.

No one cares they are Independent and can play games here and there as they choose. They get poor ratings on NBC unless those games are against Georgia or Clemson. Even their game against USC is poorly rated these days because USC has sucked since Pete Carroll left them in tatters.

They are out on this island, all alone and feeling special, and no one could care less. I do not deny that the various powers that be do not care enough to at least give them some kind of leeway with the playoff/postseason. But ultimately, there is nothing special about Notre Dame except they have an over inflated sense of self-worth.

However, if they joined the Big Ten or the SEC, interest in Notre Dame would go way up. Today? Do you care if they are playing those teams you mentioned? LOL, no. You don't even care if they are playing Florida State these days unless it is a stand alone game on Labor Day night. Independent Notre Dame is a dead dinosaur. They just don't know it yet.
I almost never watch notre dame on NBC. Maybe the Navy game. Even if they are playing someone of significance on a major sports network, they get relegated as an afterthought.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
No one really knows how all of this is going to play out. It is obvious that the SEC and B1G can likely get any program they really want. The PAC 12 and ACC have a handful of teams neither would want in a merged conference. That will be determined at some point when surviving conferences decide how many teams they want, 16, 20, 24 or another number.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I think the B12 is the catalyst here. If they can negotiate with TV folks to broker a deal that allows them to swallow up the remaining PAC12 teams I believe they have the chance to survive and thrive.

Then we end up with 3 mega conferences with the SEC and B1G splitting up the desired targets in the ACC. Getting to 60-70 teams

Then once we get there, then they can begin to shed undesirable teams over time as new contracts get negotiated.

Then Notre Dame has to join or their schedule will be vs the service academies, Mac, and CUSA teams.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.