Question: What is this team’s biggest obstacle to winning a National Championship?

spidermayin

3rd Team
Dec 4, 2018
Are we a good team? Yes. Are we National Championship caliber? Not at this time. It's really hard to repeat. Especially in these days of transfer portals and so many underclassmen leaving to the NFL draft. We don't have anyone on offense that can dominate the game like we have had in previous years aside from maybe Bryce Young. I've been very underwhelmed by the defense aside from Will Anderson. That's not to say that we won't win the remainder of our regular season schedule. We just have to get our stuff together real quickly if we're going to beat Georgia in the SEC championship game. Sorry, I guess we need to focus on LSU. We should beat LSU, but Auburn could pose a problem if Bo Nix has a good game

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Are we a good team? Yes. Are we National Championship caliber? Not at this time.
Not NC caliber? I don't know what that even means, unless you're suggesting there's no chance to win it. There are two teams that are playing (arguably) better football than Bama right now (UGA and OSU).

I don't know what some of y'all have been watching. Yes, this team is less mature and less crushing as some of Bama's previous NC winners, but who can they not beat right now?

Anyone?

Nope. Bama can line up and win any game against any team, and would likely either be favored or at most be the underdog by 3-5 points.

Just because they're not beating everyone by 40 doesn't mean this isn't an amazing team. There are holes, adjustments that need to be made. Will they happen in time to avoid another loss? Only time will tell.

But suggesting this team isn't 'NC caliber' is insane, imo.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
I don't think there is any team that is head and shoulders above the others. Any team can be beaten on any given day. We already proved that. I hope the player's are focusing on LSU and taking it one game at a time. If the player's are doing what a lot of people on here are doing and looking ahead then the team is in trouble.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
IMO, right now GA wins both OL/DL match-ups against every possible opponent, which makes them the favorite in any game. But there is still time for other teams to improve or for GA to regress.

Alabama and OSU have far more dynamic play makers on offense than GA, but both will need improved play from their o - lines for that to matter, IMO.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
[
IMO, right now GA wins both OL/DL match-ups against every possible opponent, which makes them the favorite in any game. But there is still time for other teams to improve or for GA to regress.

Alabama and OSU have far more dynamic play makers on offense than GA, but both will need improved play from their o - lines for that to matter, IMO.
I don’t necessarily agree with that. They don’t have dynamic playmakers playing. They have a couple of Freshmen emerging with a solid group of playmakers recovering from injury. Pickens, Jackson, and Gilbert should all be available by the time Georgia potentially plays either Bama or OSU.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I'm not going to be part of the Negi Nelly crowd that thinks we are going to lose to the Barn and will get beatdown by UGA. We are young and growing/learning each week and we will be ready for the Plains and ATL. We may not beat UGA but I know if we play well we will beat them.
If we lose to the barn, we probably won’t have to worry about Georgia!

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I am not sold on UGA's OL. Their DL is a different story. Agreed on play makers at Bama/OSU.

spidermayin

3rd Team
Dec 4, 2018
Not NC caliber? I don't know what that even means, unless you're suggesting there's no chance to win it. There are two teams that are playing (arguably) better football than Bama right now (UGA and OSU).

I don't know what some of y'all have been watching. Yes, this team is less mature and less crushing as some of Bama's previous NC winners, but who can they not beat right now?

Anyone?

Nope. Bama can line up and win any game against any team, and would likely either be favored or at most be the underdog by 3-5 points.

Just because they're not beating everyone by 40 doesn't mean this isn't an amazing team. There are holes, adjustments that need to be made. Will they happen in time to avoid another loss? Only time will tell.

But suggesting this team isn't 'NC caliber' is insane, imo.
National Championship caliber means winning out the rest of our schedule and then beating two really good teams in the playoffs. That means playing consistently for four quarters. That's really all it comes down to. Playing consistently for four quarters. I haven't seen that yet so far, but hopefully we get our stuff together down the stretch.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
National Championship caliber means winning out the rest of our schedule and then beating two really good teams in the playoffs. That means playing consistently for four quarters. That's really all it comes down to. Playing consistently for four quarters. I haven't seen that yet so far, but hopefully we get our stuff together down the stretch.
I know what you mean, but if that’s the explanation then your statement doesn’t make sense or you believe there are no national championship caliber teams at this time because no team has won all their games.

spidermayin

3rd Team
Dec 4, 2018
I know what you mean, but if that’s the explanation then your statement doesn’t make sense or you believe there are no national championship caliber teams at this time because no team has won all their games.
I was specifically talking about Alabama winning out the rest of their schedule because that's what it's going to take to win the national championship. I suppose I should have used different wording. Alabama is national championship caliber as in they have the ability to win out the rest of their schedule, but do they have the ability to execute consistently through all four quarters to beat the best teams? That's debatable at this point. I would say their biggest obstacle is defense and not being able to dominate at the line of scrimmage.

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: bamaga

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Alabama is national championship caliber as in they have the ability to win out the rest of their schedule, but do they have the ability to execute consistently through all four quarters to beat the best teams?
But when have they?

Generally speaking there's been bad quarters - even bad halves - in both SECCGs and CFP playoffs / finals.

jasongilbert69

1st Team
Oct 11, 2019
Here is what statements like these do not consider.

Why is it assumed that Georgia/Auburn/Etc will play a "full 4 quarters" against us? Auburn hasn't done this all year against anyone. Georgia has not had to and in fact has not either. Again, simply because they haven't been pushed to the limit (unless you count Clemson who has turned about to be VERY average).

We often focus way too much on Alabama's shortcomings and never focus on the rest of the world's. That's why I reject any notion of "WE MUST DO THIS" or there is NO CHANCE of a title. Imperfect teams win championships all the time. Last year's Alabama team is the anomaly. Even 2019 LSU was full of flaws. They just lucked up and never faced anyone capable of fully exploiting them.
Hammer hitting nail!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.