What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I listened to some clowns here in Atlanta on 92.9 the game talking about some site, maybe sporting news.com that ranked all FBS coaches. They had Saban ranked #1. The clowns were talking that Dabo has passed Nick because of last year. If I wasn’t driving, I would of called and reminded them that Bama blasted Clemson the year before. To support their argument, they not only mentioned last year, but also the coaching turmoil at Bama, Nicks age vs Dabo’s age and Clemson’s monster 2020 recruiting class . I guess that class has already signed and is a done deal , smh!

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I have a theory about the pattern of HC selections at major programs. It seems to me that when a legend or iconic coach is being replaced there is a set of predictable outcomes that become false steps to mediocrity until the right choice is made. Generally, these bad decisions form a pattern, not necessarily in the same order at different schools but from the same list of options.
I tend to agree with this. Choosing the replacement is a lot like the NFL Draft. A guy may look fantastic and not pan out.

In OU's case these options can be categorized as follows: the loyal assistant; a former player recommended based on friendship; a big name with gravitas; an assistant from either inside or outside the family. Most of these never pan out and it takes repeated mistakes before a cooler more shrewd head prevails in the selection process. These false steps usually play out over a decade or so before the messiah emerges. Selecting the right HC is at best an inexact science.
I suspect - and you're closer to OU than any of us, so you'd have more knowledge of the situation - some rich powers that be get behind a name (like whoever sold Jerry Jones on Bill Parcells or whoever sells anyone on Jon Gruden) and confirmation bias kicks in.

Interestingly, the 4 most successful coaches at OU have all been hired as assistants with no previous HC experience. Our '90's were a poster child for such missteps.
While in no way do I wish to take issue with your or disagree, OU doesn't seem to have much of a track record of hiring ANYONE as head coach who was ever head coach before.

Here are the coaches Oklahoma has hired who had previous FBS/Division I HEAD coaching experience:
Biff Jones (7 years total at Army and LSU)
Jim Tatum (1 year at UNC)
Howard Schnellenberger (national title at Miami)

I'm not trying to pick apart your comments because they're correct as stated - but OU doesn't seem to hire anyone who has ever coached at another school as a head coach regardless. Schnellenberger's national title has to go down as a fluke anyway, although he deserves credit for laying the foundation that Jimmy Johnson used to convince folks he was a better coach than he really was.

Except for Stallings, your '90's into the 2000's were similar.
For the most part, yes.

Perkins - so far as anyone can tell - was Bryant's hand-picked choice (although saying that now creates a lot of people who claim to have inside information that Coach This Other Guy was really the pick). He got a lot of credit basically because of the draft that gave him Lawrence Taylor and the trade that gave him Rob Carpenter turned the Giants into an NFL playoff team.

Curry - nobody not named Joab Thomas wanted this guy as head coach. He was a disaster top to bottom, and the fact we could have had Bobby Bowden is still a sore spot with this entire board.

Dubious - I have no idea who was behind this insanity, but he needs to be shot.

Now.....the Franchione hire was a tiny bit different and probably minimally similar to OU's hiring of Blake. By the time we chose Franchione, we'd been turned down by Butch Davis (more on that in a moment) and Frank Beamer, and Tommy Bowden and Jackie Sherrill (neither with a prayer at getting it) both called PCs to announce they weren't going to Alabama. While this coaching search was going on, the Albert Means scandal hit the front page of the papers and made the hiring that much harder.

As far as Davis - he built the Miami monster that Larry Coker blew to pieces, but there has long been a story that Davis had consented to come to Alabama to the point of a behind-the-door handshake deal.........and was then informed of what the NCAA had on us and backed out. I'm not in the position to know but.......once your job starts getting turned down repeatedly and it gets out, it limits the pool from where you can draw fish. Fran as it turned out had built his entire career on winning with OTHER coach's players - he'd never been anywhere long enough to recruit and see it through.

Despite what some here think, Shula was NOT a guy who "took the job when nobody else would."

But that is why I've long said Alabama CANNOT be a school that hires a coach with ZERO college head coaching experience. That doesn't guarantee success, but it does play a role in a guy knowing what will and will not work when it comes to kids that age. For every Mark Richt or even Lincoln Riley, there are a dozen Mike DuBoses.

When Stallings came to Alabama, he had not been a head coach in college for over two decades, during which many changes occurred. However, he HAD been a head football coach in college, he had the advantage of having been in the Alabama culture (7 years as an assistant) which is admittedly a bit unique, and he had worked for the worst owner in the NFL, which meant anything he dealt with on campus was going to be blissful by comparison.

Who has been successful at Alabama?
Bryant - three colleges before he came
Stallings - one head coaching job in the NFL and one in college
Saban - years as a head coach at both NFL and college

Wallace Wade never had head coaching experience before Alabama, but let's at least acknowledge that the 20s was a century ago and things have changed dramatically since then. Even Steve Spurrier had several years screwing up and learning what wouldn't work in both the USFL (which was basically glorified college ball) and at Duke before he became a Florida coaching legend.

OU has found what works for them, and that's great.
Alabama has done the same - and ironically, it's the opposite of what works at OU.

Both our schools have done a BUNCH to screw up hiring. I'll admit that. And both have done a good job at times as well.

Texas made mistake after mistake between Royal and Brown. Nebraska...I could go on and on. Look at Michigan. Look at USC.[/QUOTE]

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I listened to some clowns here in Atlanta on 92.9 the game talking about some site, maybe sporting news.com that ranked all FBS coaches. They had Saban ranked #1. They clowns were talking that Dabo has passed Nick because of last year. If I wasn’t driving, I would of called and reminded them that Bama blasted Clemson the year before. To support their argument, they not only mentioned last year, but also the coaching turmoil at Bama, Nicks age vs Dabo’s age and Clemson’s monster 2020 recruiting class . I guess that class has already signed and is a done deal , smh!
An argument could be made in Dabo's favor for RECENT history - yes. Let's admit that.

He's 2-2 against Saban, but he lost one close game AND he's 2-0 against Urban Meyer.
He also beat Bob Stoops pretty handily twice.
He also beat Jimbo Fisher the least 3 times they met.

If we're talking total career vs total career, it's not even close.

If we are talking RIGHT NOW and recent since Dabo built his monster? A rational person CAN make that argument.

I don't agree with that argument because I think Dabo benefits from playing in the modern version of the WAC.

During the virtual same time frame we're talking about (2015-18), Dabo has lost twice to unranked opponents.
Saban has not.

At this point, Dabo's success can be attributed to the defense he's now losing.
Let's see what he does NOW.

Because what cost Alabama national championships in 2013 and 2016, in particular, were INJURIES and LACK OF DEPTH due to so many guys going to the NFL.

ClemsonFan89

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 3, 2017
Aiken SC
An argument could be made in Dabo's favor for RECENT history - yes. Let's admit that.

He's 2-2 against Saban, but he lost one close game AND he's 2-0 against Urban Meyer.
He also beat Bob Stoops pretty handily twice.
He also beat Jimbo Fisher the least 3 times they met.

If we're talking total career vs total career, it's not even close.

If we are talking RIGHT NOW and recent since Dabo built his monster? A rational person CAN make that argument.

I don't agree with that argument because I think Dabo benefits from playing in the modern version of the WAC.

During the virtual same time frame we're talking about (2015-18), Dabo has lost twice to unranked opponents.
Saban has not.

At this point, Dabo's success can be attributed to the defense he's now losing.
Let's see what he does NOW.

Because what cost Alabama national championships in 2013 and 2016, in particular, were INJURIES and LACK OF DEPTH due to so many guys going to the NFL.

I dont see how Dabo can be compared to Saban yet. Saban has a lot of history, and Dabo has a long ways to go. He is probably not even worried about being remembered as better than Saban right now. He just wants to beat Saban. I believe an argument could be made for the coaching staff of Clemson being on par or better than Bama right now. Bama has had a lot of changes.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Despite what some here think, Shula was NOT a guy who "took the job when nobody else would."

Its kinda hard to say that he took a job that no one wanted when Croom and Coughlin both expressed interest. I think its one of those many nostalgic fantasies that many come up with to justify why someone couldn't live up to a certain standard.

Texas made mistake after mistake between Royal and Brown. Nebraska...I could go on and on. Look at Michigan. Look at USC.
Its what happens when bluebloods play the good ole boy system.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
The first great OU coach, Bennie Owen, had previous HC experience. The one assistant hire we made that could have changed everything for the foreseeable future but ended in tragedy was Jim McKenzie. Hired off Broyles Arkansas staff he was headed for greatness before he died of a heart attack after his 1st year as the Sooner HC. Replaced by Chuck Fairbanks, it was the overall staff McKenzie built that led OU back to dominance. That staff include Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer along with Fairbanks. Our '90's merrygoround was a fiasco. Gary Gibbs was the former player/loyal assistant asked to clean Switzer's mess up. SCHNELLY was a panic hire that was a disaster. Blake was a former player hand picked by Switzer off the Dallas Cowboy staff. When we hired Castiglione, sanity returned to the process and the new AD went after Bob Stoops.

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
I listened to some clowns here in Atlanta on 92.9 the game talking about some site, maybe sporting news.com that ranked all FBS coaches. They had Saban ranked #1. The clowns were talking that Dabo has passed Nick because of last year. If I wasn’t driving, I would of called and reminded them that Bama blasted Clemson the year before. To support their argument, they not only mentioned last year, but also the coaching turmoil at Bama, Nicks age vs Dabo’s age and Clemson’s monster 2020 recruiting class . I guess that class has already signed and is a done deal , smh!
Atlanta Sports Radio is a JOKE I got XM radio specifically so I didn't have to listen to Buck Baloo then I heard him on XM the other day and considered selling all my XM stock and writing a scathing letter to the CEO lol.

On the note of Dabo surpassing Saban, until Dabo can
1. pass Saban in NCs and have a NC at a different school
2. Be able to say "Every kid I've successfully recruited has a NC ring"
3. have at least half as many kids Drafted in the NFL

he doesn't even come close.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I forgot who but one of the guys on 92.9 is a clemson grad. Just sayin.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.