Who are your top 5 Bama QBs all-time?

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Terry Davis was Bama's first wishbone QB and he was amazing. He set the tone for the dominance to follow. He should probably be on the list somewhere.

Reactions: FaninLA

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I was just looking at this yesterday. If Tua finishes that year healthy, then he is probably a unanimous #1 on most people's list. We most likely beat LSU, and a 100% healthy Tua probably throws for 500+ yards in that gsme. He was already at 418, despite being 21/40. We also probably win the national championship, and maybe a Heisman for Tua. He was averaging 315 yards per game, so 5 more games at that pace would have put him about where AJ is for career passing yards. It would have been really close. That injury still pains me to this day. Oh what could have been.
Yes. And I recall talk about that then.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

TraskiTideFan

1st Team
Apr 18, 2009
Savannah TN
It would be easier to simply say:

1) ALL the QBs that led a squad to a National Championship (Since we did play football prior to 2007)

Then the Rest:

2) Bryce Young
3) Mike Shula
4) Gary Hollingsworth
5) Blake Sims

:D

Reactions: BamaMoon

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022

He was horribly inaccurate. And todays defense are light years better.
While that's true, it's impossible to take an athlete from 50 years ago and the way the game was played then and look at him in light of today's game. That doesn't take anything away from yesterday's stars. For instance, they didn't train year round 50 years ago. And the nutrition for today's athletes is unbelievable. I would prefer a 57 Chevy Impala over a new car even with the overall advances in automobiles. Namath belongs in the top three to me. There is a reason he was a superstar.

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
I only remember the last 25ish years, so I'm just gonna go with my top 5 favorite.

1. Tua - By far my favorite athlete at any position in any sport. He was ridiculously good, and a bit underappreciated nationally imo. Saban had some solid QBs before him, but none quite as electric. Tua paved the path for Byrce and Mac.
2. AJ -Mccarron - Two-time national champ
3. Brodie Croyle - One of the few bright spots in the dark days
4 Jake Coker - Tough as nails
5. Bryce Young - Heisman Trophy Winner

Honorable Mention: Mac Jones

Last edited:
Reactions: bamamc1

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
1.Harry Gilmer
2. Bart Starr
3. Joe Namath
4. Ken Stabler
5. Tua Tang....
6. Mac Jones
7. A.J. McCarron
8. Greg McElroy
9. Bryce Young
10. Gary Hollingsworth

These are the top QB's in no order...rating them is beyond me. Jay Barker was a great leader...as was Steadman Shealey...but neither could be called a great QB.

As Bama fans we have been fortunate beyond measure...I still feel guilty over not including Jalen Hurts. He was the ultimate winner @ UA...but watching him almost drove me crazy.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This has to be another "within their era" question, because those guys in the early years simply cannot compare with a modern era QB. Who knows if they might have played better with modern training. Unknowable.

saturdaysarebet

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2018
This has to be another "within their era" question, because those guys in the early years simply cannot compare with a modern era QB. Who knows if they might have played better with modern training. Unknowable.
These questions always are, or at least supposed to be, but every now and then someone without imagination will say, the 2022 Miami Dolphins would kill the 1972 Miami Dolphins. No doubt, but were the 2022 Dolphins a better team (relative to their time)?

Reactions: B1GTide

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
I am only going with guys from the modern era . As in the past 30 years and I'll only go with 3 ....
1 - Tua
2 - Mac
3 - AJ

As for Hurts , I view his time at Alabama as a net negative .
Bryce was a very unique , miniature athlete . Sort of half Doug Flutie and half Kyler Murray . In other words , anything other than a championship level QB . I could expand on that , but would rather bow out other than saying Carolina fans witnessed just about what I had expected .

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads