Kenny Stabler
Jalen Hurts
Tua Tagovailoa
Jeff Rutledge
John Parker Wilson
Jay Barker
A.J. McCarron
Others?

and I know we're hoping Jalen Milroe finishes in everybody's top five if not first. Who are your top 5 Bama QBs all-time?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
1. Tua
2. AJ
3. Mac
4. Jay Barker
5. Bryce

All but Bryce led us to a NC. Not in order of talent (or JB is not there) but the enjoyment I had watching them play! I also would have Hurts at 6 but I've enjoyed his play more since he left and especially in the pros, but I'm a big fan of how he's grown from his freshman year to winning the SEC that year in relief of Tua to OK to Eagles!

Also, I'm only ranking players I remember playing at Bama so I didn't include other greats like Gilmore, Starr, Joe or the Snake.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
1. Tua
2. AJ
3. Mac
4. Jay Barker
5. Bryce

All but Bryce led us to a NC. Not in order of talent (or JB is not there) but the enjoyment I had watching them play! I also would have Hurts at 6 but I've enjoyed his play more since he left and especially in the pros, but I'm a big fan of how he's grown from his freshman year to winning the SEC that year in relief of Tua to OK to Eagles!

Also, I'm only ranking players I remember playing at Bama so I didn't include other greats like Gilmore, Starr, Joe or the Snake.
Did you mean Harry Gilmer instead of Gilmore? He is in the College Football Hall of Fame and was great in his time.

• Thank You
Reactions: BamaMoon

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
5 is hard. So here's my 11.

11. Jeff Rutledge
One National Title, 3 SEC Championships

10. Greg McElroy
The quintessential game-manager passer, who knew how to avoid mistakes. In two years as a starter, he threw for 37 touchdowns, with only nine ints. Led Bama to Saban's first National
Championship at Alabama.

9. Pat Trammell
The Bear's first title-winning quarterback. Threw for 1,035 yards and eight touchdowns, which was a lot in 1961.

8. Ken Stabler
What can you say about the "run in the mud" Snake?

7. Jalen Hurts
First freshman to start for Saban, and led Bama to a National Championship and was named SEC player of the year. He helped beat Georgia when Tua was injured.

6. Jay Barker
Won the National Championship under Stallings. In his last year, he won both the SEC Player of the year and the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award.

5. Mac Jones
One National Championship. Threw for 41 touchdowns against 4 picks, and led the nation with 4,500 passing yards in 2020. Single season completion record of 77.4%. Yes, he was throwing to 4 NFL receivers, but you can't argue with his numbers.

4. Joe Namath
One National Championship. Well, Bryant called Namath the greatest athlete he ever coached. So there's that.

3. Tua Tagovailoa
Stepped in to replace Jalen Hurts, and beat Georgia for the National Championship. His 2nd and 26 play is considered one of the greatest plays in Alabama history. Before his injury in 2019, he had 33 touchdowns with only 3 ints. His career 87 touchdown passes and 7,442 passing yards rank first and third in program history.

2. AJ McCarron
Started 3 full seasons, and was a member of three title-winning teams. And the only Alabama quarterback to lead the Tide to two National Championships. Finished his career with over 9,000 passing yards, 77 touchdowns, and only 15 ints.

1. Bryce Young
Heisman winner. Threw for 2,877 yards in two seasons. His list of awards:

• Sugar Bowl MVP (2022)
• Manning Award Finalist (2022)
• 2nd Team All-American by PFF and USAT (2022)
• 2nd Team All-SEC by AP (2022)
• Heisman Trophy (2021)
• Maxwell Award (2021)
• Davey O'Brien Award (2021)
• Manning Award (2021)
• College Football Player of the Year by AP and SN (2021)
• 1st Team All-American by AP, FWAA, PFF, USAT, ESPN, CBS Sports and TSN (2021)
• 2nd Team All-American by AFCA and Walter Camp (2021)
• SEC Offensive Player of the Year (2021)
• 1st Team All-SEC (2021)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bidgoodman and Con

saturdaysarebet

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2018
5 is hard. So here's my 10.

10. Jeff Rutledge
One National Title, 3 SEC Championships

9. Greg McElroy
The quintessential game-manager passer, who knew how to avoid mistakes. In two years as a starter, he threw for 37 touchdowns, with only nine ints. Led Bama to Saban's first National Championship at Alabama.

8. Pat Trammell
The Bear's first title-winning quarterback. Threw for 1,035 yards and eight touchdowns, which was a lot in 1961.

7. Ken Stabler
What can you say about the "run in the mud" Snake?

6. Jalen Hurts
First freshman to start for Saban, and led Bama to a National Championship and was named SEC player of the year. He helped beat Georgia when Tua was injured.

5. Jay Barker
Won the National Championship under Stallings. In his last year, he won both the SEC Player of the year and the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award.

4. Mac Jones
One National Championship. Threw for 41 touchdowns against 4 picks, and led the nation with 4,500 passing yards in 2020. Single season completion record of 77.4%. Yes, he was throwing to 4 NFL receivers, but you can't argue with his numbers.

3. Joe Namath
One National Championship. Well, Bryant called Namath the greatest athlete he ever coached. So there's that.

2. Tua Tagovailoa
Stepped in to replace Jalen Hurts, and beat Georgia for the National Championship. His 2nd and 26 play is considered one of the greatest plays in Alabama history. Before his injury in 2019, he had 33 touchdowns with only 3 ints. His career 87 touchdown passes and 7,442 passing yards rank first and third in program history.

1. AJ McCarron
Started 3 full seasons, and was a member of three title-winning teams. And the only Alabama quarterback to lead the Tide to two National Championships. Finished his career with over 9,000 passing yards, 77 touchdowns, and only 15 ints.
You left off a Heisman Trophy winner????

22Musso22

1st Team
Sep 2, 2023
Bryce Young
Tua Tagovailoa
Joe Namath
Kenny Stabler
A.J. McCarron
Jalen Hurts
Terry Davis
Steve Sloan

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
2. Tua Tagovailoa
I was just looking at this yesterday. If Tua finishes that year healthy, then he is probably a unanimous #1 on most people's list. We most likely beat LSU, and a 100% healthy Tua probably throws for 500+ yards in that gsme. He was already at 418, despite being 21/40. We also probably win the national championship, and maybe a Heisman for Tua. He was averaging 315 yards per game, so 5 more games at that pace would have put him about where AJ is for career passing yards. It would have been really close. That injury still pains me to this day. Oh what could have been.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Ken Coley
Steadman Shealy
Walter Lewis
Joe Namath/ken Stabler
BART Starr
Harry Gilmer
Tua/jalen Hurts
AJ

Reactions: FaninLA

CrimsonRuss

1st Team
Sep 30, 2015
1a) Tua Tagovailoa
1b) Mac Jones

3) Bryce Young
4) A.J. McCarron

5) Jalen Hurts

That's just based on CFB play at Bama.

If hypothetically Namath and Stabler could have played in today's game they would probably be somewhere in the Top 4 with Tua and Mac.
My list would be almost identical with one exception. I’d have AJ 3rd an Bryce 4th.

Reactions: tusks_n_raider

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads