You Can Call Me Al or Coach Neon Deion but not Nick

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
BamaNation Added link : https://www.clarionledger.com/story...er-walks-out-swac-media-day-event/7995546002/

I give it to him he was a good football player but whats between his ears is Pure Neon. I couldn't stand his antics and this as a head coach shows he isnt ready for prime time.

I have heard several reports including. Cecil Hurt and many others call CNS, Nick.
I do recall hardly ever hearing anyone but some ABC tv reporter call Coach Bryant "Bear". Keith Jackson would address him as Paul. I never saw a video of him face to face call him Bear. He would say Paul or Coach Bryant.

So Neon will continue to Neon until someone can turn him into LEDs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mike64 and dtgreg

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
1) You might want to link the story or come up with a better title because if I didn’t know that you were talking about Deion Sanders then I would have no idea where to look the internet to find out what you are talking about.

2) So apparently while Deion Sanders, the Coach for Jackson St, was in Birmingham for the SWAC media days took issue with a reporter calling him “Deion” instead of Coach.
Deion Sanders takes issue with a reporter calling him Dieon instead of coach

3) I don’t get the issue for him wanting to be called “coach”. He is a coach, and that position generally comes with respect. Even Jim Harbaugh is rarely called “Jim”. I really have no issue with Deion wanting to separate “Coach” with the “Celebrity” status he has. It sets a standard for his program. If he wants to be addressed that way then reporters should try to respect his wishes since he has earned that position.

4) There are plenty of reporters who call CNS “Nick”. I don’t know one to get cussed out for it. Personally I don’t think he cares as long as it is not a player.

Last edited:

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
BamaNation Added link : https://www.clarionledger.com/story...er-walks-out-swac-media-day-event/7995546002/

I give it to him he was a good football player but whats between his ears is Pure Neon. I couldn't stand his antics and this as a head coach shows he isnt ready for prime time.

I have heard several reports including. Cecil Hurt and many others call CNS, Nick.
I do recall hardly ever hearing anyone but some ABC tv reporter call Coach Bryant "Bear". Keith Jackson would address him as Paul. I never saw a video of him face to face call him Bear. He would say Paul or Coach Bryant.

So Neon will continue to Neon until someone can turn him into LEDs.
I get that he feels disrespected. However, he has not earned any more respect than coach Saban who has zero problem being called "Nick".

I could understand if someone called him "Neon" or "Primetime". Even though he has used these names to market himself. He earned a lot as a player; respect and money. He needs to earn something as a coach.

Perhaps there was something in the tone of the questioner that was disrespectful. Or, perhaps Coach Sanders needs to learn to control his emotions and become more strategic/tactical.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I understand why he wants to be called Coach. But he needs to understand this isn’t being done out of disrespect, and reporters address Coach Saban as Nick all the time.

He did more damage to himself by storming out of there than he would have had he just went with the flow.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I get that he feels disrespected. However, he has not earned any more respect than coach Saban who has zero problem being called "Nick".

I could understand if someone called him "Neon" or "Primetime". Even though he has used these names to market himself. He earned a lot as a player; respect and money. He needs to earn something as a coach.

Perhaps there was something in the tone of the questioner that was disrespectful. Or, perhaps Coach Sanders needs to learn to control his emotions and become more strategic/tactical.
I think the issue is more that he stressed that all last year. He said he wanted to separate him being a celebrity and coach. He wants the program to be more about the kids than him.

I guess he could’ve phrased it better or tried a better way to address it. But ultimately I think it’s his wishes for his program, and people should try to respect his wishes. I don’t know if the reporter was being a jerk or it was just an over the top reaction. But I can see where he is coming from with that. I cringe when anyone calls someone with an earned title by their first name in a professional setting . It kinda is a little disrespectful. Unless someone explicitly tells you to call them by that name.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
I think the issue is more that he stressed that all last year. He said he wanted to separate him being a celebrity and coach. He wants the program to be more about the kids than him.

I guess he could’ve phrased it better or tried a better way to address it. But ultimately I think it’s his wishes for his program, and people should try to respect his wishes. I don’t know if the reporter was being a jerk or it was just an over the top reaction. But I can see where he is coming from with that. I cringe when anyone calls someone with an earned title by their first name in a professional setting . It kinda is a little disrespectful. Unless someone explicitly tells you to call them by that name.
I agree with your sentiments. However, I also remember a certain coach who is now considered the greatest of all time having to learn to control his emotions and be a bit more choosy with his outbursts. Coach Bryant, as well. Those that remember CPB from the 60's know he remade his image in the 70's. I think, given enough time and success, Coach Sanders will, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 81usaf92

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Deion Sanders showed so much disrespect and self-centeredness while being a talented (but also overrated) football player, it's almost karma to see how he now views the world as the older guy that the younger guys (like he used to be) mock and laugh about.

He was a great cover guy - as long as they let him get away with some blatant pass interference. Take that away from him, and he wasn't substantially better than anyone else. Good, but not stellar.

He couldn't tackle worth a damn.

He was flashy with the jewelry, marketed himself, and had a lot of speed.

But he was also the kind of guy who drew attention to himself while playing for some lousy teams and then pulled a LeBron James to win his first ring...and his second one.

While he seems to have mellowed, the fact is that Sanders grew up in a time when every single one of his loud-mouthed transgressions is on film and can be viewed for generations to come. I'm sure there were occasional players even in the "more simple" days who spouted off to Coach Bryant, Bobby Knight, or Ohio State Coach Woody Hayes, but we don't have it preserved for the rest of us to see.

I've got no qualm in him wanting to be called "coach," but it just strikes me as a bit funny to say the least.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Ah well if he kept doing it after being asked not to, then he is just a jerk.
My first reaction was Deion was wrong, he had to earn the respect. But he stopped the reporter and asked him to call him Coach Sanders because you wouldn’t call coach Saban , Nick ( although some do , some just call him Saban) . Then the reporter said OK , DEION . That’s when prime time walked out.

Last edited:

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Yes but, if Coach Saban asked them to stop, they'd stop. This reporter basically said screw you and called him Deion one more time. This has nothing to do with earning respect for career accomplishments but about just being a respectful human being. If someone ask you to stop doing something then show a shred of decency and stop.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
As someone who watched a good bit of HBCU football last spring (I really liked spring football and would like to see it continue, but ...), Jackson State started out strong (3-0), but collapsed as the shortened season went on.
Once Coach Sanders asked him to call him "Coach," and the reporter still called him "Deion," the reporter was out of line (and got rewarded by not getting to ask his question anyway).
No problem with Coach ending the interview. The reporter was being a jerk.
Of course, I generally hold those passing for "journalists" today in general contempt, so I would be inclined to support Coach Sanders anyway.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.