Sources: Charlie Strong joins Nick Saban's staff at Alabama

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I believe you. Just find it hard to believe CNS really thought Bevo U would yield to that demand.

Any number of us here could have told him what their answer would be.

Reactions: TIDE-HSV

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I believe you. Just find it hard to believe CNS really thought Bevo U would yield to that demand.

Any number of us here could have told him what their answer would be.
I think that was the deal-killer. The Sabans realized it would be nothing like any other place they'd served. There was a lot of money involved. I think the Texas steers thought that was all it would take...

Reactions: cuda.1973

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Dear God this board can chase a squirrel.

Back to the subject of Strong. Most likely it's just a visit. if it's more than that then there is the issue of a one and done DC. We've had too much of that and it's damaged recruiting too much. So even if a better DC Shows up we need more of a commitment to our program than to just use it as a spring board to your next head coaching GIG.

BUT if he want to cool his heals for a year and sort of recharge the old batteries as an analyst then by all means adding his brain power to our defensive staff would be great, cause we clearly need some fresh ideas. Then next season he can either A accept another head job, or if things still aren't working out consider a longer term stint as our DC.

Personally I'm surprised more coaches don't stay at the DC and OC level. In the SEC these guys are getting around cool million a year, and they don't have the additional headaches and commitments that the Head guy has to deal with.
Yeah, but it was a really fun squirrel, especially if you were at that game!

On the actual subject, I'd love to see Charlie come on board, just wish they would say he's coming.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I think that was the deal-killer. The Sabans realized it would be nothing like any other place they'd served.
Understatement of the decade.

There was a lot of money involved. I think the Texas steers thought that was all it would take...
YES! That is Bevo U.

(At this point, one would likely pause and ask why Bevo U couldn't see their ways of doing things was going to be counter-productive to the goal of landing CNS. Don't they want to win? Yes, but "winning" to the "all hat and no cattle" crowd is nothing more than sticking it up Zero U's tailpipe. The Universe has restored to its rightful order, and Bevo U is going to have to live off of the glory of days long gone. That, and the Longhorn Cable Network.)

Yes, we know they felt unappreciated, and it irks me to know they felt that way. (Would like to slap all the guilty parties!) Just glad they realized the grass isn't always greener in the other pasture.They would have likely regretted that move more than the one to the NFL.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I hope we get Strong on the staff as an analyst.

If it happens, Golding's reaction will be telling....does he welcome the expertise, or does he view it as a threat?
I have no idea all of Saban's reasons for hiring Strong. But if I'm Golding, I'm looking at it only one way and that's "Get better". I think Saban sees a lot of potential in Golding but he knows he cannot afford for him to take three years to figure it out. Golding will probably need to greatly improve the defense from last year or my guess is he'll be seeking other opportunities.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I have no idea all of Saban's reasons for hiring Strong. But if I'm Golding, I'm looking at it only one way and that's "Get better". I think Saban sees a lot of potential in Golding but he knows he cannot afford for him to take three years to figure it out. Golding will probably need to greatly improve the defense from last year or my guess is he'll be seeking other opportunities.
IMO, to a great extent, it would revolve around CPG`s current level of self-confidence (not arrogance per se ) and maturity. How secure is he within his own skin? In his mid-30`s , he has the vast majority of his career in front of him. If he has sufficient wisdom at this relatively young age, he`ll welcome every bit of knowledge and experience he can glean from every available source, Charlie Strong certainly included. I hope he takes advantage.

Reactions: Padreruf

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
This is my thought: I think Saban would've discussed with Golding that he was going to bring in analyst to help Golding develop better in the film room and connecting with the kids. Maybe Golding is fine, but need additional help to where he can improve in offseason with Strong's guidance. So with mentor as Strong and Saban, He can only get better as we get closer to fall camp.

Golding issue was not the play calling on the field. It was getting the kids to recognize what gaps to hit, who to cover, and lot of that was on Freshmen and lack of experience. So it make sense for strong to come in and help Golding to develop the kids to the next level, and then we have recruiting issues. Golding can bring kids to the campus, but Strong can close the deal for Alabama.

Bottom line: We will see new twists on defense, and we'll see lot of blitzes concept this fall.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I am delighted CCS is coming...but a bit confused over CPG. Bama is not normally an OJT place...at least not among the first line coaches...analysts, yes...coaches, no.

My only guess is our youth in LB's -- as has been discussed ad nauseam...If I were CPG I would be:
1. Delighted that I am still DC --
2. And that I still have a great paying job on a really top notch staff under the best D-1 coach around.
3. Ready to soak in all that CNS and CSS can teach me.

I do believe that this is a make or break year for CPG as DC -- and as a member of our staff.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
It’s a win, win for everyone. Strong continues getting paid with an opportunity to redeem himself and future coaching gig. Golding will learn from Saban and Strong along with way to becoming a better in game coach. Whether Golding stays or leaves, Alabama at the end of this year becomes better having Strong in our corner.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.