Has Alabama ruined college football for fans of other teams?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I vaguely remember a several years stretch where Miss. State gave us a tough game, even won one or two. They were riding massive offensive & defensive lines, as best I remember. But that has been a looong time ago.
Yeah, they beat us 4 of 5 (1996-2000). We blew the 1996 game, but they beat us straight up the other 3 wins. We had to claw like a tiger to win the 1999 game, although it should have bee a breeze.

We also had a 22-game winning streak from Bryant's first year through the infamous 1980 game. During the Ears Whitworth era, we had 3 losses in 4 years preceded by a tie. And they beat us three in a row from 1912-1914, when Gray Tide was lettering as WR.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Ok, I need to unburden my soul, and I've learned from actors and musicians that publicly is the best way to do this. Alabama didn't ruin college football; I did. I was just feeling jerky the other day and felt like breaking something. So, I ruined college football. :devilish: Sorry, man.
And you did it just out of frustration with DFAR... :(

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
Received an email today: "UGA has Bama's arrogance with Vandy's trophy case." Yes...we have ruined several teams' fans...
This is not a smart aleck reply...I thought you were a Bama fan?
'Bama became my second favorite team when I moved here. When I took the job I was told that you can't root for Auburn and Alabama--you have to choose. I graduated from Cal and was a Cal season ticket holder for 38 years so you know. The last time Cal had a two loss season was 2004 when Aaron Rodgers was quarterback. Lost to USC on a dropped pass in the end zone on the last play of the game (the pass was off target but catchable.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
'Bama became my second favorite team when I moved here. When I took the job I was told that you can't root for Auburn and Alabama--you have to choose. I graduated from Cal and was a Cal season ticket holder for 38 years so you know. The last time Cal had a two loss season was 2004 when Aaron Rodgers was quarterback. Lost to USC on a dropped pass in the end zone on the last play of the game (the pass was off target but catchable.
Funny, but with all our wins, I remember the ones we were robbed of, like a one hop TD in the EZ vs. ARK in Bryant Denny. And many more...

Reactions: Con

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yeah, they beat us 4 of 5 (1996-2000). We blew the 1996 game, but they beat us straight up the other 3 wins. We had to claw like a tiger to win the 1999 game, although it should have bee a breeze.

We also had a 22-game winning streak from Bryant's first year through the infamous 1980 game. During the Ears Whitworth era, we had 3 losses in 4 years preceded by a tie. And they beat us three in a row from 1912-1914, when Gray Tide was lettering as WR.
Porkchop Womack was a massive OL for them during those years. JJ Johnson destroyed our defense 2 years in a row. He was a good RB for them.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
It started in 1925.
FIFY.

Nobody seemed to have sympathy for us during those awful probation-filled years we had 🤷🏾‍♂️
Amen to that. Kentucky stormed the field when they beat a 4-7 Alabama team in 1997.

After what we went through from 1997-2006, they can all pound sand.

What we are in the midst of, is just a blip on the radar of time. It has passed so quickly; 2009 seems like yesterday but it was 11 years ago; and CNS's retirement is rapidly approaching when viewed through the lens of time. Our society as a whole has become completely deficient of any attention span whatsoever, and cannot deal with adversity in a positive way. So they whine. They change the rules. It's a spiral to mediocrity. I have zero tolerance for it.

So I will enjoy every last ounce of glory that comes from this current Alabama run, knowing how fleeting it is, and won't give one ounce of concern to whether or not fans of other teams are enjoying their Saturdays. I got along just fine when we were losing to Louisiana Tech. They will too.
Not sure I can go along with the next-to-last sentence, but the rest is pure poetry!

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
I seem to remember that Shula's loss to Croom and MSU in '06 set the (admittedly bizarre) sequence of events in motion that eventually led to Nick Saban coming to Bama. If i'm right about that, they have no-one to blame but themselves for their misery.

Besides, all these other teams loved kicking sand in our faces during the lean years between Stallings and Saban, and had a good laugh at how delusional we were about getting a great coach when Rodriguez accepted then declined Mal Moore's offer. Nah, I'm gonna savor and appreciate every day of this era of dominance and the teeth-gnashing our adversaries is a small but highly satisfying part of that.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
As some have alluded above, the 'dark decade' of Bama football allowed many fans of other SEC teams to show their true colors. The pure hatred displayed - random tennessee fans literally making sneering comments to me walking down the street in the middle of June, for example - caused a 180° turn in my mind regarding the SEC. I used to support other SEC teams when they played OOC games, etc., but now I want nothing more than for Bama to dominate and for every other team to have embarrassing losses. I've never been one to talk smack - especially in person - and I still don't. But I do laugh maniacally internally... :)

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
As some have alluded above, the 'dark decade' of Bama football allowed many fans of other SEC teams to show their true colors. The pure hatred displayed - random tennessee fans literally making sneering comments to me walking down the street in the middle of June, for example - caused a 180° turn in my mind regarding the SEC. I used to support other SEC teams when they playedOOC games, etc., but now I want nothing more than for Bama to dominate and for every other team to have embarrassing losses. I've never been one to talk smack - especially in person - and I still don't. But I do laugh maniacally internally... :)
I remember the good ole days...and the not so good old days...I'm just enjoying this run ever aware that it will end one day. Other SEC teams -- I could care less. I grew up as a young boy (pre-9) in Louisiana and was an LSU fan in the late 1950's. However, after EO's charade last year, I couldn't care less what happens to them.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
As some have alluded above, the 'dark decade' of Bama football allowed many fans of other SEC teams to show their true colors. The pure hatred displayed - random tennessee fans literally making sneering comments to me walking down the street in the middle of June, for example - caused a 180° turn in my mind regarding the SEC. I used to support other SEC teams when they playedOOC games, etc., but now I want nothing more than for Bama to dominate and for every other team to have embarrassing losses. I've never been one to talk smack - especially in person - and I still don't. But I do laugh maniacally internally... :)
Things like this happened when I first moved up there which causes me to hate Tennessee even more.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
So Alabama gets the job done and Mississippi State can't and they want to blame Alabama? That is not how this works.

Hey B1GTIde, let me ask you something.....has Michigan fans ever accused Ohio State of ruining college football for them?
I love the fact that you are comparing Michigan to Mississippi State.

Reactions: teamplayer

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.