The Dr. Seuss Controversy (sigh)

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I just can't with these people. They will latch onto the most inane things and scream that it is an attack on our way of life.

The GOP has become the party of manufactured outrage, whether it's Dr. Seuss, Biden's dogs, or tan suits.

Sorry, but my Facebook feed was swamped with right-wing Dr. Seuss memes--most of which misspelled Dr. Seuss (Suess)--and I just needed to vent.

• Haha
Reactions: B1GTide and 92tide

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I just can't with these people. They will latch onto the most inane things and scream that it is an attack on our way of life.

The GOP has become the party of manufactured outrage, whether it's Dr. Seuss, Biden's dogs, or tan suits.

Sorry, but my Facebook feed was swamped with right-wing Dr. Seuss memes--most of which misspelled Dr. Seuss (Suess)--and I just needed to vent.
what is the Dr Seuss one? I haven't paid attention. is it that Seuss was a horrible scum to his first wife?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Racist imagery. Publisher decided to pull the books that contained it.
I have not read any of the 6 books listed. Seems to me that they could simply fix this with some image replacement and then release an updated version, but I wonder if these books sell enough to make that worth while.

• Thank You
Reactions: day-day and 92tide

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
A lot of his older stuff has racist imagery--he did a lot of propaganda posters during WWII, for instance. And the issue has been widely acknowledged for some time. But the company he entrusted with his estate decided to stop publishing six books, at the same time as a couple libraries moved away from Dr. Seuss books on Dr. Seuss Library Day, and the right is a-clutching their pearls again.

Reactions: 92tide and Jon

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
A lot of his older stuff has racist imagery--he did a lot of propaganda posters during WWII, for instance. And the issue has been widely acknowledged for some time. But the company he entrusted with his estate decided to stop publishing six books, at the same time as a couple libraries moved away from Dr. Seuss books on Dr. Seuss Library Day, and the right is a-clutching their pearls again.
wait until they hear about the upcoming revised edition of heather has two mommies

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Its funny that now, all of a sudden, the right wingers are defending Dr Seuss. For years he was their mortal enemy for books like The Lorax (one of my favorites) that has a pro environment theme. :rolleyes:
There were others that also got their panties in a bunch.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
A lot of those posters were pretty racist. Here's one below. The representation of Hitler may not be too far off, after the post-war discoveries that a good part of the German armed forces fought the war up on meth...

WWII propaganda cover.jpg

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH, 92tide and Jon

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
My main problem with all this cancel culture is that it takes things out of context a lot. Some of this stuff is a product of the time at which it was created. With Dr. Seuss, if it is just the imagery, why not change it and reprint the books (unless the estate refuses to allow this)? His none Seuss artwork, IMO, should have no barring on the rest of the Seuss books. I've seen some calling for all Seuss books to be removed but, I just think that is going to far.

IDK, I'm not sure how to really express my viewpoint. If something was created as pure hatred, racist propaganda then it should be banished. But things that just have some imagery or language or themes that are a product of there time should be viewed in that context, not banned. Slap a warning on everything, I'm fine with that, Disney has done that with some of their movies. I think that should also be an acceptable solution.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
My main problem with all this cancel culture is that it takes things out of context a lot. Some of this stuff is a product of the time at which it was created. With Dr. Seuss, if it is just the imagery, why not change it and reprint the books (unless the estate refuses to allow this)? His none Seuss artwork, IMO, should have no barring on the rest of the Seuss books. I've seen some calling for all Seuss books to be removed but, I just think that is going to far.

IDK, I'm not sure how to really express my viewpoint. If something was created as pure hatred, racist propaganda then it should be banished. But things that just have some imagery or language or themes that are a product of there time should be viewed in that context, not banned. Slap a warning on everything, I'm fine with that, Disney has done that with some of their movies. I think that should also be an acceptable solution.
there is no such thing as cancel culture, it is the new "political correctness". it's a snarl word and nothing more.

in this instance, nothing has been banned. the decision on these 6 books was made by the estate.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
there is no such thing as cancel culture, it is the new "political correctness". it's a snarl word and nothing more.

in this instance, nothing has been banned. the decision on these 6 books was made by the estate.
What really sticks in my crawl is that the very same people who started "cancel culture" are the ones screaming the loudest about it now that it has circled back around on them.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Its funny that now, all of a sudden, the right wingers are defending Dr Seuss. For years he was their mortal enemy for books like The Lorax (one of my favorites) that has a pro environment theme. :rolleyes:
There were others that also got their panties in a bunch.
That the right is twisted over books I haven’t read since I was a kid is peculiar. Is Seuss a component of an adult righties library?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The uproar over Mr. Potato Head was stupid. You will still be able to buy a Mr. Potato Head and a Mrs. Potato Head. What is being changed is the overall line (which includes the whole family) is just going to be called Potato Head.

• Thank You
Reactions: PaulD and Bamaro

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.