NCAA Portal Talk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Before the bubble burst, we will make full use of the NIL, just like the other schools do. If our players make enough money, they might consider staying around another year. I can only hope.
It will be Bama and a mere handful of other teams in on every leading prospect. The NCAA is actually lobbying Congress for a law imposing some limit on payments. Meanwhile the school to watch is Texas. Their boast that they (boosters) have more money than God is not that far off...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The NIL "payroll" has become mind boggling. Sooner or later the numbers will start to leak...
I would love to be a fly on the wall when these kids' tax advisor tells them the amount of their first estimated tax payment. :oops: :p :ROFLMAO:

"Welcome to the adult table son, this seat comes with a bill."

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
THese kids will set up their businesses as Corporations in High School. The contracts they sign will be through PLAYER.inc.
There are two classes - prospects and transfers, going and coming. When you see a player entering the portal and either going on or reversing and staying, nowadays, the first question to ask yourself is what the NIL "inducements" amounted to. To me, it's a sad world. The very same things which got SMU the death penalty are now perfectly legal...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It will be Bama and a mere handful of other teams in on every leading prospect. The NCAA is actually lobbying Congress for a law imposing some limit on payments. Meanwhile the school to watch is Texas. Their boast that they (boosters) have more money than God is not that far off...
I had quite a few discussions here about this very sort of thing before NIL went effect. I'm not sure everyone really grasped how far this can and will go. It is somewhat fortunate that the Texas team is a mess right now, I suspect that will keep some of them from investing too much into bailing out what they see as a failing coach. Meanwhile Texas A&M has the #1 recruiting class according to some services for no particular reason at all...

It really is Pandora's Box and if the schools with the deepest pockets decide it's time to go all in things will become even more insane.

Edit: I would add that the way it was put into place, it doesn't really seem possible to regulate. Anyone, anywhere, can just cut them a check and say it's for their name and likeness and that's all it takes. I'm not sure how you could put that genie back in the bottle, you'd have to basically have a clearing house for those types of deals and it seems unlikely most parties are going to be willing to allow that. People are getting paid, and people are paying for influence, they won't give that up easily.

Last edited:

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
It’s pretty crazy UGA only has 1….yes, ONE…WR with over 1000 yards in a season...ever. It’s quite pathetic actually.
Before 2006, so did we. David Palmer had 1,000 yards on the nose in 1993. It took Bama 101 years of football to get our first. Then DJ Hall had back to back 1,000 yard seasons in 2006 and 2007. That has changed a lot since 2010.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.