Bama vs Utex

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I'm sure Sark will have a few tricks to play, but I don't see them being consistently successful against our defense. And being able to run the ball on Texas has almost become as sure as the sunrise.

Reactions: C2Ag93 and Go Bama

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I've stayed at the Menger Hotel, across the street from the Alamo. To me it's more interesting. Several presidents stayed there. Lee lived there for a while, as well as Oscar Wilde. The bar was where Teddy Roosevelt recruited some roughriders.
I’ve always loved history and when I found out I was doing basic training at San Antonio I knew on Liberty that I had to go to the Alamo. To say the least I was very underwhelmed at seeing it and felt the legend was better than the reality of what it was. When you build basically a shopping district around a major monument in your history and it completely hides it to the point that you will miss it even when you are trying to look for it, then you really know most of it is just bull.

San Antonio is still my favorite city in Texas, and I plan to stay there on my trip to see us to play Texas (because I absolutely hated my time staying in Austin). But I think the River Walk is far better than the actual Alamo itself and the Alamo maybe the most skipable historical site I have ever been to…

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I’ve always loved history and when I found out I was doing basic training at San Antonio I knew on Liberty that I had to go to the Alamo. To say the least I was very underwhelmed at seeing it and felt the legend was better than the reality of what it was. When you build basically a shopping district around a major monument in your history and it completely hides it to the point that you will miss it even when you are trying to look for it, then you really know most of it is just bull.

San Antonio is still my favorite city in Texas, and I plan to stay there on my trip to see us to play Texas (because I absolutely hated my time staying in Austin). But I think the River Walk is far better than the actual Alamo itself and the Alamo maybe the most skipable historical site I have ever been to…
Agreed with this. The Alamo felt like a huge waste of time.

Reactions: 81usaf92

BhamToTexas

All-SEC
Dec 25, 2020

Yes, I was very disappointed with the shopping mall around the Alamo on my first visit. They have turned it into Gatlinburg.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yes, I was very disappointed with the shopping mall around the Alamo on my first visit. They have turned it into Gatlinburg.
I still love San Antonio but I just think something as important as the Alamo shouldn’t be something that I constantly miss when I’m looking for it and something I unknowingly run into when I’m not. Dallas does a better job in isolating their monuments and main things it seems by comparison. But like I said. I still love going to San Antonio and the River Walk.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think you've got to have Texas A&M/Texas as an annual game again. And I think it needs to be around Thanksgiving weekend. A&M/LSU has been ok. I know they had a history that dated back a few decades, and the game was pretty big in the 1980s. But it is nothing compared to A&M/Texas, and its never going to be. On the flipside, Texas has absolutely nothing that comes close. I'm not including OU in that statement. I'm talking about end of year, Thanksgiving weekend rivalry games.

BhamToTexas

All-SEC
Dec 25, 2020
I still love San Antonio but I just think something as important as the Alamo shouldn’t be something that I constantly miss when I’m looking for it and something I unknowingly run into when I’m not. Dallas does a better job in isolating their monuments and main things it seems by comparison. But like I said. I still love going to San Antonio and the River Walk.
I have walked all the Missions there, I recommend that. It is a World Heritage Site too.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If A&M and UT are not an annual game it'll be a shame. Now whether the fans want it or not is NOT the point. But the game will be worth millions to the SEC and both schools AND it will be great drama.

Alot of Bama fans wouldn't care if we ever played Auburn again, but it would be a great loss for college football.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If A&M and UT are not an annual game it'll be a shame. Now whether the fans want it or not is NOT the point. But the game will be worth millions to the SEC and both schools AND it will be great drama.

Alot of Bama fans wouldn't care if we ever played Auburn again, but it would be a great loss for the state of Alabama's economy.
FIFY

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I’ve never liked playing Auburn because it’s more of a game in which Auburn Must win and we can’t afford to lose. It’s just a big sigh of relief when we win but a constant reminder when we lose. It’s more of an annoyance.

But the economic damages for not playing it are obvious. I don’t think it would be near as of a big loss to college football by comparison.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

MILEHIGHTIDE

1st Team
Apr 9, 2011
I've stayed at the Menger Hotel, across the street from the Alamo. To me it's more interesting. Several presidents stayed there. Lee lived there for a while, as well as Oscar Wilde. The bar was where Teddy Roosevelt recruited some roughriders.
San Antonio has a very storied and rich history. A fun piece of trivia, the Menger Hotel is the oldest continuously operating hotel west of the Mississippi, as in it has been in continuous operation for over 160 years.

While I have stayed at and enjoyed numerous hotels around the Alamo area, the Emily Morgan is another hotel that is across the street from the Alamo that I really like and think has an interesting history as well. While not nearly as old as the Menger, it is said to be built on the battleground in an area that saw extensive action. One of the more discussed topics was regarding the hotel being haunted. So much so I may have seen a lady in white at the end of the hall. I simply said Roll Tide mam and retired to my room. RTR

C2Ag93

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 25, 2021

81 - Actually, I never thought of it that way, even as a native Texan and Aggie. I still like and recommend a visit to the Alamo if someone is in town and site seeing. But TBH, I have to agree with you that for the symbol it is, it is sad they let the city encroach on it. It would have been better if they left grounds and a park around the remaining parts of it. Still, we learn the history of it in school (Texas grade school system... at least when I was in school... teaches state history), so what's left still doesn't disappoint to a student of history. But yea, I do understand what you're saying.

Also, it never dawned on me in my original post to recommend to you fine folks to stay in San Antonio for your trip to play Texas. That is a great option! My cousin lives in Austin, and we went to Six Flags in San Antonio and back easy for a day trip a month-ish ago. Only about an hour drive. Personally, I agree with you, if I had to choose where I'd rather spend an evening or day (even for a game weekend in Austin), San Antonio > Austin (for the river walk and Six Flags). I pointed out the 6th Street area (in Austin), but it's a big college bar scene and somewhat the same bar-to-bar. The river walk has more character and a better choice for groups that don't care as much about the bar scene. BUT, if you really want the "college bar scene" and interact with opponent fans to set the stage for game weekend, then obviously Austin is better than San Antonio.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
81 - Actually, I never thought of it that way, even as a native Texan and Aggie. I still like and recommend a visit to the Alamo if someone is in town and site seeing. But TBH, I have to agree with you that for the symbol it is, it is sad they let the city encroach on it. It would have been better if they left grounds and a park around the remaining parts of it. Still, we learn the history of it in school (Texas grade school system... at least when I was in school... teaches state history), so what's left still doesn't disappoint to a student of history. But yea, I do understand what you're saying.

Also, it never dawned on me in my original post to recommend to you fine folks to stay in San Antonio for your trip to play Texas. That is a great option! My cousin lives in Austin, and we went to Six Flags in San Antonio and back easy for a day trip a month-ish ago. Only about an hour drive. Personally, I agree with you, if I had to choose where I'd rather spend an evening or day (even for a game weekend in Austin), San Antonio > Austin (for the river walk and Six Flags). I pointed out the 6th Street area (in Austin), but it's a big college bar scene and somewhat the same bar-to-bar. The river walk has more character and a better choice for groups that don't care as much about the bar scene. BUT, if you really want the "college bar scene" and interact with opponent fans to set the stage for game weekend, then obviously Austin is better than San Antonio.
The problem with staying in San Antonio if you're flying in is that Austin has better domestic air service.

C2Ag93

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 25, 2021
The problem with staying in San Antonio if you're flying in is that Austin has better domestic air service.
Hmmm... Can't comment there since I just drive from Houston. Never have flown to Austin and only flew to SA once for business. But a solution could be to fly into and out of Austin, but still drive to and stay in SA if you can't find airfare you don't like to SA. I think we drove from Austin to the river walk in just under an hour (of course, going the typical 5-10 MPH over the posted limit ;-) ). Actually, San Marcos may even be a good call. Less of a drive, easy to Austin and back on gameday. Do the river walk one night, and the Salt Lick the other night (really popular BBQ place, but it's probably PACKED on game weekends).

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

The Alamo is one of those things “you have to do if you go” but it’s really not really the “ooh and ahh” kinda thing like let’s say Dealey Plaza is for Dallas. I mean yes you need to do it if you are there because of what it means to Texas history but it’s not a “let’s plan a whole trip to see the Alamo” thing otherwise you’ll be very disappointed.

As for Austin… I like the SRV stuff and the music scene but I just have had issues with some of the other stuff. It’s okay for a capital city, a lot better than Baton Rouge, but I’m just not a bar scene person nor really into the Austin bar culture. If someone wants to get a feel for Texas fans and Austin culture then stay there, if not then there are better options within driving distance imo.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yeah I’m driving so that won’t be an issue. But I’ve always hated flying to SA. For whatever reason you start to jump up in prices with SA and EP compared to Houston and Austin.

Reactions: TexasBama

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.