2023 Braves trades and acquisitions

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Well our season is over and what is next?

1. Let Dansby go and find another SS
2. Jansen - do we need him? I could take him or leave him
3. I would go get deGromm. Why the hell not? Soroka just seems cursed. I have no idea what happened to Fried the last month.
4. get another bullpen guy - don't really care who, just somebody/anybody that can be consistant.

Is there anyone that wants to keep Dansby?

Reactions: tusks_n_raider

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I would keep Dansby just for his defense. Only take degromm if he comes for a discounted salary. Jansen is too old to sign for more than 1 year. Fried will be fine. Agreed on the bullpen arm - no one specific in mind d yet.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Need a lockdown closer. Jansen is not that.

I would keep Dansby. I think his bat is "good enough" and he has hit some very clutch hits. His D is very good. He's also a leader now.

If Soroka isn't 100%, have to find another #1/#2.

I know you hate Snit, but I'll take Snit and the last 5 years over what the alternatives could be. Players love him. I think too often "we" want to fire guys when there's nobody out there who is an upgrade. How do you upgrade from 101 wins + 2021 championship? You can't. Even if you think in-game decisions are lacking.

Ozuna has to go if nothing else for his off-field stupidity
Arcia has to go because he can't hit

Otherwise, I'm in favor of keeping the major elements of the team intact.

I'm sure salaries will dictate a lot of this but seems like we overpay old guys who are barley above mendoza line or past their prime (Jansen) and don't go after the best in the game in other areas (i.e. closer who can actually not let anyone hit the ball).

Also, I think I heard that Braves only won 12 games in which they didn't hit a HR. That's not sustainable. What killed us in the playoffs was inability to small ball. And Phillies small-balled us to death + bombs away. Has to change by getting some guys who can do that. Somehow.

JMHO

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Also, I think I heard that Braves only won 12 games in which they didn't hit a HR. That's not sustainable. What killed us in the playoffs was inability to small ball. And Phillies small-balled us to death + bombs away. Has to change by getting some guys who can do that. Somehow.
FWIW, the Phillies were the one team in the playoffs that relied on HRs more than the Braves.

IMO, what beat the Braves was the Phillies were hot and the Braves were not. That is baseball. Great teams go into pitching and/or hitting slumps. Do it in the playoffs and you can lose to anyone.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
FWIW, the Phillies were the one team in the playoffs that relied on HRs more than the Braves.

IMO, what beat the Braves was the Phillies were hot and the Braves were not. That is baseball. Great teams go into pitching and/or hitting slumps. Do it in the playoffs and you can lose to anyone.
They were not that hot coming into the playoffs though. The brewers were just worse.

Reactions: B1GTide

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA

I would keep Dansby. I think his bat is "good enough" and he has hit some very clutch hits. His D is very good. He's also a leader now.

I know you hate Snit, but I'll take Snit and the last 5 years over what the alternatives could be. Players love him. I think too often "we" want to fire guys when there's nobody out there who is an upgrade. How do you upgrade from 101 wins + 2021 championship? You can't. Even if you think in-game decisions are lacking.

I'm sure salaries will dictate a lot of this but seems like we overpay old guys who are barley above mendoza line or past their prime (Jansen) and don't go after the best in the game in other areas (i.e. closer who can actually not let anyone hit the ball).

JMHO

This. As a baseball guy and just a fan of other sports, I have a fairly radical idea of what I would like to see Atlanta do.

1. Sign Dansby. End of story there.
2. Find a closer, lose Arcia and Ozuna.
3. Lock up Grissom like the other young players. Albies will be back and he and Dansby are the heart and soul of the Braves.
4. (this one I will be called crazy for) Trade Acuna. You can land a closer and #1 for him all the while probably getting the other team to eat part of their salary since he is signed for such a ridiculous contract. My reasoning for this is he just isn't the same player he was pre injury. He seems to not hustle like he used to. I don't know if it is a mental thing about the knee or what, but I just don't like what I see from a "leader" stand point. Example, the Realmuto inside the park HR in the post season, he took 4 steps towards CF. And when it hit off the wall, it was over. This was the post season, you go 100% all the time there, not "he will make the play or play it correctly.
5. There are other directions they could go, closer from the minor leagues, etc.
6. Snitker, I just love/hate the guy. He has to play more baseball and less analytics at times. Bunts, while public enemy #1 due to analytics, are still a weapon. Imagine if Olson had laid some hard bunts down the 3rd base line when they had him shifted. Average goes up 25 points at least but it would have created bigger holes in the shift. See where the shift going away leads baseball.....When I saw Pujols play at few years ago up in Boston, he started his BP round with 5-7 bunts to both baselines. Then he hit, everything the other way, until he deposited several over the Big Green Monster!

Reactions: Go Bama

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This. As a baseball guy and just a fan of other sports, I have a fairly radical idea of what I would like to see Atlanta do.

3. Lock up Grissom like the other young players. Albies will be back and he and Dansby are the heart and soul of the Braves.
4. (this one I will be called crazy for) Trade Acuna. You can land a closer and #1 for him all the while probably getting the other team to eat part of their salary since he is signed for such a ridiculous contract. My reasoning for this is he just isn't the same player he was pre injury. He seems to not hustle like he used to. I don't know if it is a mental thing about the knee or what, but I just don't like what I see from a "leader" stand point. Example, the Realmuto inside the park HR in the post season, he took 4 steps towards CF. And when it hit off the wall, it was over. This was the post season, you go 100% all the time there, not "he will make the play or play it correctly.
5. There are other directions they could go, closer from the minor leagues, etc.

6. Snitker, I just love/hate the guy. He has to play more baseball and less analytics at times. Bunts, while public enemy #1 due to analytics, are still a weapon. Imagine if Olson had laid some hard bunts down the 3rd base line when they had him shifted. Average goes up 25 points at least but it would have created bigger holes in the shift. See where the shift going away leads baseball.....When I saw Pujols play at few years ago up in Boston, he started his BP round with 5-7 bunts to both baselines. Then he hit, everything the other way, until he deposited several over the Big Green Monster!
You do realize that the Braves have one of the best closers in baseball…. But Snitker never uses him in closing situations because he is a genius

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

JMHO
Trea Turner is most likely on the market at a far cheaper demand than Dansby. If given the opportunity to get the best short stop in the league and the biggest Braves killer in history for a cheaper price than a guy that is about to get massively overpaid for then why not go for it.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

I do agree that Acuna isn't the same guy. Sometimes with an injury coming back mentally can take longer than physical. I wouldn't trade him though.

Ozuna needs to just be gone. He already would be if the Marlins hadn't screwed up the trade.

I am with @81usaf92 let dansby go and go get Turner for cheaper than dansby. Dansby is too inconsistent at the plate. He goes for long droughts and 75% is an automatic out.

Arcia is OK. He is a multiple position guy and is fine on the bench. Just never needs to start again.

Yeah, sign Grissom and get him some one on one with Chipper.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I do agree that Acuna isn't the same guy. Sometimes with an injury coming back mentally can take longer than physical. I wouldn't trade him though.

Ozuna needs to just be gone. He already would be if the Marlins hadn't screwed up the trade.

I am with @81usaf92 let dansby go and go get Turner for cheaper than dansby. Dansby is too inconsistent at the plate. He goes for long droughts and 75% is an automatic out.

Arcia is OK. He is a multiple position guy and is fine on the bench. Just never needs to start again.

Yeah, sign Grissom and get him some one on one with Chipper.
The problem with getting rid of Acuna is whoever you trade him too will have a massive contract with him and when he turns the corner he will haunt us for years.

I think Turner is the better option than Dansby by a mile. How many times has Dansby led the mlb in strikeouts through a season. I honestly would even consider moving either Ozzie or Vaughan to shortstop in order to get a cash flow to make a big winter push for someone like a DeGrom over resigning Dansby.

I guarantee you that once we resign him he will show us why it was dumb in believing that one year is an indication of a. Elite year. More or less he will suck the next 3 years knowing him and us.

Arcia and Heredia really don’t eat up cap so they really can stay. Same with Jesse Chavez.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The problem with getting rid of Acuna is whoever you trade him too will have a massive contract with him and when he turns the corner he will haunt us for years.

I think Turner is the better option than Dansby by a mile. How many times has Dansby led the mlb in strikeouts through a season. I honestly would even consider moving either Ozzie or Vaughan to shortstop in order to get a cash flow to make a big winter push for someone like a DeGrom over resigning Dansby.

I guarantee you that once we resign him he will show us why it was dumb in believing that one year is an indication of a. Elite year. More or less he will suck the next 3 years knowing him and us.

Arcia and Heredia really don’t eat up cap so they really can stay. Same with Jesse Chavez.
I think Grissom's natural position is SS. I thought I remember hearing that earlier this year.

Reactions: crimsonkelly

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
You do realize that the Braves have one of the best closers in baseball…. But Snitker never uses him in closing situations because he is a genius
100% this! Iglesias was killing it while Jansen was blowing saves and Snit never let him sniff the 9th. I'm not a Snit fan and I think they won the WS in spite of him, not because of him. Snit is one of the worst in game managers, especially when it comes to the bullpen and rotation.

I had a bad feeling when he announced the GM 3 and 4 starters at the same time. Who does that crap? Why paint yourself into a corner. Strider hadn't pitched in a month and Morton go shelled by the Phillies all year. Don't give me that "undefeated in game 7s" crap. Look at current stats, not years old stats. If Braves fans are honest with themselves, we all knew the series was over when Strider feel apart because nobody really trusted Morton to throw a gem. Snit needs to go, send him back to the minors, he already manages like he's there anyway.

No way do you trade Acuna. He's had "hustle" problems ever since he came up from time to time. Remember that game a couple years ago where he stared at a ball hitting off the wall instead of running for a double. It is what it is, you take the momentary lapses because of the other things he brings. Plus, he was one of the only hitters doing anything in the series.

I'm tired of people jumping on Acuna for that one moment but, giving Dansby a pass at swing at pitches 50 feet outside. He stunk and di more to blow the series then Acuna. He struck out 7 times in 16 at bats in the series. You know what is more frustrating, he had 2 hits, 1 BB and scored 3 times. So he scored every time he reached base! If only he was consistent and got on base more, it could have turned the series. Send him packing. It's a contract year and he is going to cost more than he is worth when there are better/cheaper SS options.

So, dump Swanson, Ozuna and Snit.

Go after Turner, deGrom and any manager with a baseball brain. I'd take Showalter over Snit, even with the Mets blowing the 10.5 game lead.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
100% this! Iglesias was killing it while Jansen was blowing saves and Snit never let him sniff the 9th. I'm not a Snit fan and I think they won the WS in spite of him, not because of him. Snit is one of the worst in game managers, especially when it comes to the bullpen and rotation.

I had a bad feeling when he announced the GM 3 and 4 starters at the same time. Who does that crap? Why paint yourself into a corner. Strider hadn't pitched in a month and Morton go shelled by the Phillies all year. Don't give me that "undefeated in game 7s" crap. Look at current stats, not years old stats. If Braves fans are honest with themselves, we all knew the series was over when Strider feel apart because nobody really trusted Morton to throw a gem. Snit needs to go, send him back to the minors, he already manages like he's there anyway.

No way do you trade Acuna. He's had "hustle" problems ever since he came up from time to time. Remember that game a couple years ago where he stared at a ball hitting off the wall instead of running for a double. It is what it is, you take the momentary lapses because of the other things he brings. Plus, he was one of the only hitters doing anything in the series.

I'm tired of people jumping on Acuna for that one moment but, giving Dansby a pass at swing at pitches 50 feet outside. He stunk and di more to blow the series then Acuna. He struck out 7 times in 16 at bats in the series. You know what is more frustrating, he had 2 hits, 1 BB and scored 3 times. So he scored every time he reached base! If only he was consistent and got on base more, it could have turned the series. Send him packing. It's a contract year and he is going to cost more than he is worth when there are better/cheaper SS options.

So, dump Swanson, Ozuna and Snit.

Go after Turner, deGrom and any manager with a baseball brain. I'd take Showalter over Snit, even with the Mets blowing the 10.5 game lead.
The real issue with Snitker is that he is a hell of a locker room guy but one of the worst in game managers in the game. What many of the moron Braves fans who get on call in shows and on Twitter don’t realize is how close we were to blowing against the Dodgers last year.

Think about it… We were up late in game 3 and he turns to Jackson vs Bellinger. A guy who has shelled him 3 years running. And the most predictable outcome happened. So what was looking like a 4 game sweep turns into a series. Then in game 6 he does the same damn thing and goes with Jackson late in the game and loads the bases. But this time someone made a great decision in pulling Jackson for Matzek and the rest is history. But that should have never happened. Had it spiraled out of control I guarantee you that the Dodgers would have won game 7.

Snitker’s worst gaff however was in 2019 in the NLDS. Why the hell does he bury his best pitcher (Soroka) and force him to have a game 3 start in a best of 5.

BhamToTexas

All-American
Dec 25, 2020
1 - Definitely let Ozuna go.
2 - Dansby needs to take a big discount to stay, he is a leader and a great defensive player, and plays every day. He had a great year but didn't perform in the playoffs (not many did). But we can not overpay for him. And he doesn't need to hit 1 or 2, but had to this season due to injuries.
3 - If Dansby is gone we then have to determine if Grissom is the long term answer at SS (his natural position) before we make a big push for a free agent SS.
4 - Jansen can go.
5 - Go get deGrom.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Quick Thoughts....

Realistic Moves:

Dump Jansen and stick with Iggy

Dump Ozuna and go sign another DH that is consistently good with a .850 or higher OPS at least.

Dump Dansby and go get Turner or Correa and if you miss go with Grissom....but Dansby has to go.

Hopeful Moves:

Package some guys up for trade -

Rosario, Duvall, and Odorizzi are all especially Useless. You get nothing at the Plate, Field, or the Mound

Either get deGrom for a discount IF you have little faith in Soroka ever coming back like he was

Or

Go get a MONSTER MVP caliber player to replace what was lost with Freddie.

I don't care WHAT position.

But SOMEBODY that is a consistent Bat....

A .300 or higher avg guy with an OPS between .900 - 1.000

An Aaron Judge, Paul Gold Schmidt, Manny Machado, Nolan Arenado Type of Guy

We lost a MAJOR bat in the lineup with Freddie and nobody on the team has replaced it.

I'd rather have that than deGrom who is about to hit the back half of his career.

Reactions: B1GTide

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads