Anybody here a fan of documentaries?

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Like Padre, I was unfamiliar with the term so I looked it up. The word funicular is derived from the Latin word funiculus, meaning rope.

adjective
  1. 1.
    (of a railroad, especially one on a mountainside) operating by cable with ascending and descending cars counterbalanced.

2. 2.
    relating to a rope or its tension.
noun
  1. a cable railroad, especially one on a mountainside, in which ascending and descending cars are counterbalanced.

Here is a link to the Lookout Mountain Incline
which provides some information on the derivation of the word and on the railway itself, which they describe as a funicular.

https://ridetheincline.com/what-is-a-funicular-railway/#:~:text=Funicular%20derives%20from%20the%20Latin,it's%20known%20as%20the%20Reisszug.

Now I’m wondering if a funicular is fungible. :D

Gelmar Funicular

• Thank You
Reactions: Bazza and Go Bama

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
A new show on Albert Einstein just dropped on Netflix. Looks like a docudrama, not exactly a documentary.

I haven’t seen it, but it looks like it might be interesting.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Another good set on Netflix - Rotten. Focuses on corruption in the global food supply chain (avocados, milk, peanuts, garlic,water, sugar, chocolate etc). One is even named High on Edibles.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Uncover the shocking history of the early 20th-century campaign to breed a “better” American race. THE EUGENICS CRUSADE tells the story of the unlikely—and largely unknown—project to breed a better American race, tracing the rise of a movement that turned a scientific theory of heredity into a powerful instrument of social control. Populated by figures both celebrated and obscure, it is an often revelatory portrait of an America at once strange and eerily familiar.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
I remember going to see Michael Moore's Farenheit 9/11 in the theater. Sure, Moore goes a little overboard with his filmmaking, but he presented a devastating indictment of George W Bush, the Bush ties with the bin Laden family, the electoral fraud perpetrated in Florida during the 2000 election.

I can remember the audience standing and applauding at the end of the film. It was in the Fall of 2004(as I recall). I felt that, right then, George Bush was going to lose the 2004 election. But we can thank John Kerry for running such a rudderless campaign.

Fast forward to 2017, and I thought more than once that Bush was a horrible president, but I would take him over the monstrosity visited upon the world Jan 2017-Jan 2021.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I watched a pretty good docu the other night on Amazon called Black Hawk Down:The Untold Story
It was interviews from guys that participated in the operation. It was good; I wish I had watched it before I saw the movie, for context

Reactions: Go Bama

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I watched a pretty good docu the other night on Amazon called Black Hawk Down:The Untold Story
It was interviews from guys that participated in the operation. It was good; I wish I had watched it before I saw the movie, for context
You know he lives in Madison, started his own company after service...

Reactions: TexasBama

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Watched this tonight.
Peleliu. Tough nut to crack.
Colonel "Chesty" Puller's 1st Marines fought well there.. Puller was the grandson of Major William Puller, of the 5th Virginia Cavalry, KIA at the Battle of Kelly's Ford, March, 1863.

Reactions: AWRTR

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Watched this tonight.
Peleliu. Tough nut to crack.
Colonel "Chesty" Puller's 1st Marines fought well there.. Puller was the grandson of Major William Puller, of the 5th Virginia Cavalry, KIA at the Battle of Kelly's Ford, March, 1863.
I've just finished reading about the Marianas and Palauan campaigns, so I might as well read this one...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I've just finished reading about the Marianas and Palauan campaigns, so I might as well read this one...
This video (filmed, I would guess, in the 1980s) has interviews with veterans including Eugene Sledge. He's okay for an Auburn man.
Peleliu was a tough nut to crack. 9,000 Japanese soldiers and only 19 taken prisoner.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Honestly after BHD…. Ridley Scott became a horrible historical director again. I should have learned not to waste my money on historical epics directed by him after Kingdom of Heaven and Exodus but I guess Joaquin Phoniex was enough to give me a reason to see Napoleon. I absolutely knew Scott would stupidly try to mash 7 wars into 3 and half hours of pure dumb 21st century revisionism that bored everyone.

But anyways, there are several docs on BHD and i think for the most part they are great. The history channel (when it actually was a channel about history) did a good one when mark Bowden’s book came out.

JDCrimson

Suspended
Feb 12, 2006
The Pacific on Netflix is a reenactment of these stories. A must watch imo.

This video (filmed, I would guess, in the 1980s) has interviews with veterans including Eugene Sledge. He's okay for an Auburn man.
Peleliu was a tough nut to crack. 9,000 Japanese soldiers and only 19 taken prisoner.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads