Arch Manning, Texas, and NILs

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Would the commitment to TX of a QB sensation with identical credentials named Arch Johnson blow up sports media the same way? No pressure, Sark......

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
But as others in these discussions have pointed out, rich men are rich because they are generally smart investors and don't do stupid things with the vast portion of their wealth.
Your point about rich men, in general, is valid, but $10M or so isn't close to being a "vast portion" of major UTx boosters' wealth.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Austin is a better town than Tuscaloosa.
Lord, I reckon! We lived in San Antonio for a couple of years and spent some time in Austin. As much as I have fond memories of most of my time at the University ( particularly grad school ) , Tuscaloosa doesn`t compare to Austin IMHO.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Unfortunately, I foresee my interest in college football waning in the near future. I hope it doesn't. It just feels like if I wanted to watch the pro football, I'd watch pro football. I hope I'm wrong.

Edit: I didn't articulate that well. My statement has nothing to do with Manning. I'm just complaining that I am afraid that the game is changing to something I'll be less interested in.
It's already there for me.

Reactions: Superdad

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
And I'm specifically saying this move gives Texas the impetus to really start spending on recruits, which up until now they've been a bit more hesitant about. I commented about this elsewhere in the past, but basically they were not going to invest heavily in a coach they didn't really like that had a spotty track record. Why prop up someone you might want gone in a season or two?

This is also why A&M did up their spending, because Jimbo beat Alabama and that signaled to them that it was a good time to start spending. What this will do, and I'm very, very confident in is that (not entirely confident in my ability to understand why a teenager does things), this opens the floodgates for what ever Texas boosters are willing to do.

They might have been hesitant before, but now that they have Arch they're going to build a team around him and it won't be cheap.

The TLDR is that last year we saw that you can buy the #1 class with NIL money. Now, I expect to see just what the practical limitations are, more or less what can't be done with NIL money because I expect Texas to do all that can be done with it.
There will be a flood of transfers to Texas as well as high school players.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I don't know...will rich men blow a bunch of money on their favorite college team so they can brag to their buddies their school is succeeding or so they can enjoy some big wins or championships? Sure, they'll blow *some* money to do that.

But as others in these discussions have pointed out, rich men are rich because they are generally smart investors and don't do stupid things with the vast portion of their wealth.

There a limit to how much this will blow up and continue. Maybe there's a few big pushes like what A$M boosters did last year, but if Jimbo's team under-performs again are they going to keep pumping that kind of money into an average program? I doubt it.

Might the Big UT boosters have a big push to get Texas "back" through some big NIL deals? Yeah, but the question is "How long will they hand out the money and how high are they willing to go without a significant ROI?"
Yes, they will.

And what constitutes pocket change to them vs. the other 99.99% of the population is the difference between Jim Parsons and Najee Harris.

Reactions: Rush

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I suspect NIL had nothing to do with Manning choosing texas.
I think this is the general consensus, but either this is entirely about Sark or there are other factors at work. Texas was the worst program he seemed to be closely considering, by a fairly wide margin (at least based on just about every recent metric.). Going 5-7 after years of mediocrity doesn't usually make you a hot commodity, especially with an out of state kid. But may be he was always going to go wherever Sark was, I accept that possibility.

I also, however think it's extremely likely that NIL would have allayed any concerns he might have about joining a mediocre head coach and a pretty terrible looking 5-7 team (they lost to Kansas). Just about anyone can look at Texas and understand that with NIL they can just go out and fill what ever holes they need to fill, whereas ordinarily they would look like a fundamentally flawed team.
There will be a flood of transfers to Texas as well as high school players.
I expect something like this. People who want to see nothing will say well it's just Arch's magnetic personality or what ever but my expectation is Texas will enter a period of increased activity, that's for sure.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I think this is the general consensus, but either this is entirely about Sark or there are other factors at work. Texas was the worst program he seemed to be closely considering, by a fairly wide margin (at least based on just about every recent metric.). Going 5-7 after years of mediocrity doesn't usually make you a hot commodity, especially with an out of state kid. But may be he was always going to go wherever Sark was, I accept that possibility.

I also, however think it's extremely likely that NIL would have allayed any concerns he might have about joining a mediocre head coach and a pretty terrible looking 5-7 team (they lost to Kansas). Just about anyone can look at Texas and understand that with NIL they can just go out and fill what ever holes they need to fill, whereas ordinarily they would look like a fundamentally flawed team.

I expect something like this. People who want to see nothing will say well it's just Arch's magnetic personality or what ever but my expectation is Texas will enter a period of increased activity, that's for sure.
You are correct. Winning will come easy now for Sark. Think Forrest Gump after the hurricane and I'm not kidding.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
It was table stakes to offer above $30mm in NIL for his signature. Once that commitment was achieved he evaluated the qualifying schools based on the usual factors, QB development, early opportunity to play, opportunity to win, etc.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
It was table stakes to offer above $30mm in NIL for his signature. Once that commitment was achieved he evaluated the qualifying schools based on the usual factors, QB development, early opportunity to play, opportunity to win, etc.
30 million dollars for Arch Manning?
That makes me want to break our profanity rule it’s so ridiculous…🤣

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.