Arch Manning, Texas, and NILs

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
Would the commitment to TX of a QB sensation with identical credentials named Arch Johnson blow up sports media the same way? No pressure, Sark......
Sark had his stupor with being an HC before, what happens if dear lil Arch has a couple bad games, 3 td's and 3 int's- 2 td's and 3 int's, in a row?
Will he be able to take the pressure, or will he hit the bottle again, that the longhorn nuts will throw at him?
I'm wondering if his Unk's will prepare him for SEC Defenses...

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
Lived in Dallas Metroplex for 7 years and went to Austin two times for games. Like a lot of big metro areas in Texas there were just too many people there to enjoy it. Horrible traffic (there are jokes about I-35 and how they'll still be working on it when the Lord comes back) and just getting out of a parking deck and into the stadium and trying to beat the traffic out made me never want to return to Austin again. Yeah, there's good food and if you're into drinking there's that, but I WOULD NOT consider Austin a great college town. JMO

EDIT: Best thing in Austin is the by-pass around it that you can drive 85 MPH on!
We do know Sark is into that! Just ask UW & USC...
UTx and 'Lil Arch will bring a whole new pressure to bear on him!
He'll need to shore up that burnt orange defense before he gets to the SEC...

Reactions: UAH and dtgreg

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
On to something here I think. At Bama, he'd compete against Milroe, Simpson, and Holstein. He'll probably start right away at TX as far as I can tell.

It was an interesting thought, but I could never really imagine a Manning at Bama. Just glad the drama's over such as it was.
Alabama wasn't big enough to house the Manning ego's.
The day Arch starts the game will be all about Arch.

Patton

1st Team
Nov 10, 2021
Why wasn't Ole Miss? Lane Kiffin isn't exactly bad with QBs.

Look, you can argue if you want to argue even though I already said twice that I'm not saying that's why he did it. I however do not feel very wrong about NILs, they are everything I said they would be and more. I also said Texas might buy Arch with NIL money and that mighty 5-7 team with a head coach they weren't sure they even wanted to keep now landed the top prospect in years.

Now you say it's about QB development basically right? But you mentioned USC, Riley can develop QBs as well as Sark, so can Kiffin. Clearly that's not the only factor here is it? I'm not going to argue just to argue though. I haven't been wrong on this NIL stuff in general and watch what happens with Texas buying recruits now... I am pretty confident in that prediction as well.
They have been doing that already for way over a year.

Patton

1st Team
Nov 10, 2021
Might've thought twice about UGA after seeing what happened to Justin Fields and JT Daniels...
What happened to Justin Fields besides lawyering up,high-tailing it out of town,and receiving immediate eligibility for ohio? All based ,and successful,on fooling the public.Yes. There was an ignorant and stupid incident,in which the young man on the baseball team paid the piper for. Fields didnt leave the program for that.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: He left because of playing time. Simple as that. ohio needed a QB (Right now) and deals were made with the NCAA,headlined by power broker Jim Delany.

Now a person,I suppose,could make the argument that Jake Fromm playing in front of Fields was wrong.I dont agree. And maybe Fields would have won the job if he would not have jumped ship that 2nd year?...We will never know. But Fromm had a pretty nice career at Ga.And while Fields was,I suppose more athletic,Jake had a fine career at Ga. My goodness he won 36 ballgames in 3 years. He won a Sugar Bowl and a Rose Bowl,and was a QB in a National Title game. Not bad.

And Fields was able to leave town and play "RIGHT NOW" before "right now" was the rule.And he got to go to a place where you do not have to beat an Auburn,or an LSU,or an Alabama just to win your league.

Injury and not rocking the boat is what happened to JT Daniels. And that worked out pretty well for them I must say.(That and Jamo and Metch injured).

One more thing. IF the Fields family had such issues with some social and cultural concerns on the Ga campus? Why did their daughter stay there and play 3 more years of softball for The Lady Dawgs?

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
…Take the college away and the town dries up...that's a great college town.
Between demographics, the expansion of top tier university enrollment through online programs. and the opportunity for high school grads to earn six figures in tech and certain other fields, you’re going to see that start to happen on a massive scale to schools at and below the directionals. That said, I’ve predicted 7 of last 0 higher education tuition bubble collapses, so…

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
I also did not want to see Peyton and Eli walking the sidelines with bama gear on either. Especially, Peyton. I still don't care for him.
Arch was never coming to Bama. It just elevated the hype for him to visit the greatest coach and program. Kudos to Saban for making the first move to get Eli to commit and all but end the speculation. Stole a lot of the thunder.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
We do know Sark is into that! Just ask UW & USC...
UTx and 'Lil Arch will bring a whole new pressure to bear on him!
He'll need to shore up that burnt orange defense before he gets to the SEC...
I guess I am a little sensitive cause I got family members with bottle problems. Maybe we can just stick to mocking texas without bringing up sarks personal demons.

MILEHIGHTIDE

1st Team
Apr 9, 2011
Not sure if this is the correct thread to post this but it does say nils so here we go.

The newer generation, rightfully so I am neither debating nor bashing anyone or anything, has brought athlete’s mental health more to the forefront of the conversation. Look at the number of athletes across multiple sports, some very high profile, that have taken a hiatus or stepped away from their sport for their mental health. They all talk about the immense pressure they feel and how it can be debilitating.

Something I have not heard or seen discussed in great detail, I am sure that just begs for someone to correct me 😂😂😂, but with all of the newly legalized nil money being paid added into the equation, the expectations and almost certainly the demand for results for these kids, yes I say kids because that is what they are, primarily 17, 18 year olds, is going to increase exponentially from a point that already is pretty extreme. Money changes things period.

In your opinions, what, if any, negative effects could this cause for athletes?

Some times, even elite athletes, need time to develop in order to reach their potential. Could this new nil money cause the timeframes to be expedited so much that potential is never reach?

What, if any, safeguards and or protocols do you feel should be put into place?

In other words, so much talk and discussion surround the nil opportunities has been primarily either focused on the positives for the players or the negatives for the dynamic and or state of college football in general. Not much that I have read or seen has really focused in great depth with regards to potential player nil pitfalls and or how this could negatively affect, impact players.

There are a lot of insightful people on this board, so figured this could be an interesting topic for discussion.

RTR

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Not sure if this is the correct thread to post this but it does say nils so here we go.

In your opinions, what, if any, negative effects could this cause for athletes?

Some times, even elite athletes, need time to develop in order to reach their potential. Could this new nil money cause the timeframes to be expedited so much that potential is never reach?

What, if any, safeguards and or protocols do you feel should be put into place?

In other words, so much talk and discussion surround the nil opportunities has been primarily either focused on the positives for the players or the negatives for the dynamic and or state of college football in general. Not much that I have read or seen has really focused in great depth with regards to potential player nil pitfalls and or how this could negatively affect, impact players.

There are a lot of insightful people on this board, so figured this could be an interesting topic for discussion.

RTR
Depends on who is "guiding" the player. I have a feeling that some of these kids are going to find themselves at odds with the IRS if they don't get good guidance...:cool:

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN
Unfortunately, I foresee my interest in college football waning in the near future. I hope it doesn't. It just feels like if I wanted to watch the pro football, I'd watch pro football. I hope I'm wrong.

Edit: I didn't articulate that well. My statement has nothing to do with Manning. I'm just complaining that I am afraid that the game is changing to something I'll be less interested in.
My interest in college football already has. I still follow Alabama football more closely than most, still have my season tickets (although I do not make the drive from MEM for EVERY game anymore like I used to) and I am not glued to ESPN following all that is college football like I used to be. I'm not sure if it's the changes in the game or changes in me or little of both, but it's just not as important as it used to be.

For what it's worth I never thought Arch was coming to Bama. He grew up his whole life in a family where they disliked Alabama more than any other school. They all respect CNS, but at the end of the day it is still Alabama, and I cannot see any of them wearing that crimson and white.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
I don't know...will rich men blow a bunch of money on their favorite college team so they can brag to their buddies their school is succeeding or so they can enjoy some big wins or championships? Sure, they'll blow *some* money to do that.

But as others in these discussions have pointed out, rich men are rich because they are generally smart investors and don't do stupid things with the vast portion of their wealth.

There a limit to how much this will blow up and continue. Maybe there's a few big pushes like what A$M boosters did last year, but if Jimbo's team under-performs again are they going to keep pumping that kind of money into an average program? I doubt it.

Might the Big UT boosters have a big push to get Texas "back" through some big NIL deals? Yeah, but the question is "How long will they hand out the money and how high are they willing to go without a significant ROI?"
“I mean I know I have spent my life being a smart businessman and this recruit Comes from a 2A high school and his brain hasn’t fully matured yet and I have no skills in evaluating talent. But my overly emotional perpetually 8-4 coach wants him. Here is a check for 2.8 million dollars” (blue font).

• Haha
Reactions: Con and dtgreg

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Arch is in better shape than a rookie in the NFL. If he doesn't like what he signed up for, he can bolt after a year. Don't be surprised if that happens.

Reactions: dtgreg

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
One reason I made this thread is that I didn't see anything about NILs near the top, otherwise I would have just tossed my thoughts on the matter into one of those. So, I certainly don't mind anyone using it as a catch-all, heh.

Don’t know if anyones mentioned thoughts on Sark but, 50/50 he’s gone before Arch finishes his stay at Texas.
Part of my beffudlement with this situation (millions of NIL dollars aside) is that Sark has proven to be a pretty mediocre head coach and got off to a less than mediocre start in Texas. This would not have been a major destination if not for NIL dollars.

Having said that, I think this can be a bit like the Mike Shula situation could have become. If Shula had landed Tebow and then the recruits that came with Tebow it could have covered for obvious deficiencies for quite some time. If they keep pumping enough NIL dollars into Texas, the team likely performs too well for him to be fired. This is why I think there was some initial reluctance but, a fair point could be made that if someone like Chizik can win with a bought and paid for QB that Texas can enjoy success using NIL as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: FaninLA

superbamashane

1st Team
Aug 14, 2006
Sylacauga, AL
My question would be how bad did CNS really want him? I was at the Manning Passing Academy with my son this past weekend. Cooper is just an average guy without much fanfare or hoopla. Everywhere the other two went was a circus. Especially Peyton. I know they’re just uncles, but how much would they be around, and how much would Saban have been able to tolerate?

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm sure I'll get beat up for saying this, but I haven't seen any evidence that the Mannings would have caused any drama had Arch committed to us.

And I'm pretty sure CNS would have handled it if any had come along with it. It's not his first rodeo.

We don't get 'em all and that's OK.

It just seems like a lot of folks have their feelings hurt over an 18-year-old's decision. A decision that was made without any drama that I'm aware of.

IMO, the Bama Nation should wish Arch and the Mannings "good luck" except for when we play them. We've got our QB and now Texas has theirs. And we can be glad Kirby didn't get his. Is that not enough?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.