Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Reactions: Saban4Ever and Con

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
And yet it's become an argument for little more than arguments sake. And it's primarily due to your negativity based on a 2 loss season to top level teams. We lost by a combined 8 points with numerous true freshmen and non starters on both sides of the ball. The middle of the defense suffered this year. Even a non-coach (me) could diagnose that.

Had we pulled either or both of those games out what would have been your narrative? Should we have dominated them? Won by more? What?

If you ARE a coach I certainly hope, for your teams sake, your negativity doesn't translate to the players. But I suspect it does.

I'm typically not a confrontational person but you've triggered the non-typical side of me. Fire away.
Ahh, personal attacks. Nice. I'll add another one to the mute list.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Not sure how constructive this thread has become...
Well I’ll say this, it was a good idea on paper but ultimately it devolved into an Eeyore vs the world battle. I think once people started the argument between “play it out vs get paid to get hurt” it ultimately brought up the negativity building up all season waiting for a chance to rule this board.

I think many of the sunshine pumpers are trying to stay away because the eeyores are going on a rampage these past few weeks and it’s mostly the “cautiously optimistic” fans having to endure the Eeyores. It’s just to the point to which the Citrus Bowl, NSD, Spring Training, and the Draft can’t get here soon enough

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
... I think many of the sunshine pumpers are trying to stay away because the eeyores are going on a rampage these past few weeks and it’s mostly the “cautiously optimistic” fans having to endure the Eeyores. It’s just to the point to which the Citrus Bowl, NSD, Spring Training, and the Draft can’t get here soon enough
And don't forget the XFL2's special territorial draft for "revolutionary" defensive coordinators - I saw Sunday that Green Bay DC Mike Pettine Jr. was credited for using the "invisible-but-one-LB scheme" vs. Da Bears but he's already spoken for...

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Well, back in the real world, I just saw on another site that Terrell Lewis has accepted an offer to play in the Senior Bowl. Call me old school, and I know it's a new day and age, but if you're going to play in another game, it should be with your team that needs you, not some all-star collection. I do love the Senior Bowl, and glad he was selected, but if you're going to play there, play with your team too.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Well I’ll say this, it was a good idea on paper but ultimately it devolved into an Eeyore vs the world battle. I think once people started the argument between “play it out vs get paid to get hurt” it ultimately brought up the negativity building up all season waiting for a chance to rule this board.

I think many of the sunshine pumpers are trying to stay away because the eeyores are going on a rampage these past few weeks and it’s mostly the “cautiously optimistic” fans having to endure the Eeyores. It’s just to the point to which the Citrus Bowl, NSD, Spring Training, and the Draft can’t get here soon enough
rampaging eeyores would be a great band name

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I have a better idea - how about we use the number of true freshmen starting games as a measure of expectations. I doubt any team in America would have done better with a similar situation.

You guys think that beating unranked teams is something that should be taken for granted. Meanwhile, every other college fan worries about every game that their team plays every week because they know that unranked teams are not to be taken for granted.

When going 10-2 has become a disappointment, it is time to stop watching the game.
This is correct. Some folks seem to be punishing the program for the level of success it has achieved. I think any ten win season is good. I won't lie and say I'm happy about our losses and some of the undisciplined play, but this defense faced a lot of adversity. I do hope, however, that we can whip Michigan to leave a better feeling about the season.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm sorry....but if Alabama paid for you to get a free education to play football....you can play in a bowl game. Maybe that's just my student loans talking though.
The bowl game comes after the end of the semester. These guys will not be taking classes in January.

Reactions: RammerJammer15

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
just look at how successful that thread was in keeping us out of the peach bowl
Lets see...

https://www.tidefans.com/forums/threads/bama-vs-ucf-in-the-peach-bowl.292756/

Y’all interested in that? I’m not. That’s what it looks like. Bama has no shot at the playoff nor does it deserve it. Curious if Bama plays UCF what happens.
When you lose by 2 TDs to the best team you play you don’t deserve to make the playoff, especially when you don’t win your division and the team that does is 10-2 (not 12-0).

Bama does not deserve a playoff spot over Oklahoma or Clemson if they win out.
Teams that deserve the playoff if they win out:

Oklahoma
Wisconsin
Clemson
Miami
Georgia
Auburn

Teams that may make it but have warts:
Alabama
Ohio State

Ohio State made in last year despite not winning their division and the team that did win their division not getting in either. They proceeded to get crushed 31-0.

That may mean something come next week.
There was alot of epic eeyoring in those two famous threads in 2017.

Reactions: 92tide and Con

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga

So looks like the running list is confined to

T. Diggs
T. Lewis

Others may not play due to injuries but these two are taking their talents to South Beach.
Those not playing should not get to travel with the team to the bowl game. Or enjoy any of the benefits of the trip.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
The season did not end with the LSU game - it ended with the Auburn game. Somehow Alabama played the worst game in Saban's tenure in that game. Every aspect of the team failed. That is what needs to get fixed - not just the defense.
The Auburn and LSU games exposed us as being better than average without a healthy TUA. Our Defense showed signs of life a few times during the season, but flat lined in the last two games when we needed to stop two strong teams.
I saw Mack give up a couple that cost us dearly.
I saw TUA make some bad throws too.
I saw Special Teams that looked great if the ball was kicked to Waddle. Otherwise I saw a poor kicking game that left a lot of points on the field.
I saw a Defense that seemed to miss runs and passes up the middle of the field.
I saw missed tackles because we were out of position. I saw bump tackles fail miserably.
I fussed about Defense not wrapping up on tackles.
Overall assessment is our Defense was't much better than good. I can't put it all on the DC.
I saw some things the DC should answer for.
I saw a very good team become a little better than average after a rash of injuries.
A lot of teams we played were bad enough they made us look great in comparison.
The bright side is we played a lot of Freshmen and will have tons of experience coming back next year.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
Those not playing should not get to travel with the team to the bowl game. Or enjoy any of the benefits of the trip.
I get what you are saying but, as everyone knows, both these guys missed alot of time with significant injuries over the course of their career at Bama. I'm inclined to cut these 2 some slack. It would be devastating for either to suffer an injury at this point so I will just thank them for their efforts to this point and wish them good luck with their pro career.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I get what you are saying but, as everyone knows, both these guys missed alot of time with significant injuries over the course of their career at Bama. I'm inclined to cut these 2 some slack. It would be devastating for either to suffer an injury at this point so I will just thank them for their efforts to this point and wish them good luck with their pro career.
I agree that they should be able to choose not to play without judgement. I am torn on the bowl attendance and swag thing though. One the one hand, that stuff is a reward for the season's work, not the bowl play itself. On the other hand, shouldn't there be some consequence for a decision not to play?

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
I agree that they should be able to choose not to play without judgement. I am torn on the bowl attendance and swag thing though. One the one hand, that stuff is a reward for the season's work, not the bowl play itself. On the other hand, shouldn't there be some consequence for a decision not to play?
Yeah, it's a tough call but after thinking about it for several days now I just think all things considered these two have earned the right to protect their future. I don't see where anything is gained by excluding them from bowl activities.

Reactions: B1GTide

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Well, back in the real world, I just saw on another site that Terrell Lewis has accepted an offer to play in the Senior Bowl. Call me old school, and I know it's a new day and age, but if you're going to play in another game, it should be with your team that needs you, not some all-star collection. I do love the Senior Bowl, and glad he was selected, but if you're going to play there, play with your team too.
If true, I just lost all respect for him.

Reactions: Bubbaloo

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.