BDS Construction

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I saw an update about a month ago with some of the work they had begun at BDS. Can’t seem to find any recent updates. I’m one of those people who like to visually follow the Athletics construction projects on campus. If anyone has a link they know of that provides updates or someone locally that has pics that wouldn’t mind sharing, I’d appreciate it.

Reactions: Con

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
I saw an update about a month ago with some of the work they had begun at BDS. Can’t seem to find any recent updates. I’m one of those people who like to visually follow the Athletics construction projects on campus. If anyone has a link they know of that provides updates or someone locally that has pics that wouldn’t mind sharing, I’d appreciate it.
I haven't seen any actual updates on the construction. However, I did see that they said they are working out a way to have an A-Day game. They said that they would have a plan for how much of the stadium would be open for the game.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
I am sure that this is the below is the update you are referring to (if others are interested). I am not aware of a more recent one. It is all from outside the stadium and does show where they have removed the lastest 4 plaques on the Walk of Champions bricking in preparation for re-configuring them for the new tunnel entrance.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Guessing that if there is an A-Day game, only the East stands and some of the end zones will be open.
Where is this coming from? I know about the accident but have not heard that the project was significantly behind schedule.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Where is this coming from? I know about the accident but have not heard that the project was significantly behind schedule.
I’m not aware that it is, though with all the rain we’ve had, that wouldn’t be a huge surprise.

The comment came from the size and scope of the project — over $100 million, affecting the west side from end to end, though not top to bottom. The goal is to have it ready by the first game in September. There was never any expectation that it would be done by the end of spring practice.

Especially with the heightened emphasis on safety after the accident, I just wouldn’t see the west stands or upper deck open for seating.

Of course, the next stadium renovation I supervise will be my first, so maybe there are some accommodations that could be made for seating in the lower bowl below where the work is being done.

Reactions: The Ols

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
The original release put out by AD Byrne stated that parts of the stadium would be closed for A-Day due to construction. I haven't heard any changes from that.

• Thank You
Reactions: The Ols

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
From the article

"It's spread out," Sevedge said. "It's probably one of the most intense projects the university has ever done in the athletic department. We're basically doing $10 million worth of work per month. Just imagine, we'll probably have up to 600 workers at the stadium each day during the peak. It's just a really tough project."

A typical project, Sevedge estimates, does $2-3 million of work per month.

Delays aren't an option.

"Really, the end date can't change," Sevedge said. "It really can't. It's going to be absorbed by more people and more labor."

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The original release put out by AD Byrne stated that parts of the stadium would be closed for A-Day due to construction. I haven't heard any changes from that.
Agreed, but I never saw anything that would have me understand that the stadium's capacity would be significantly impacted. At least, not so much that A-Day game attendance would be impacted. As long as it seats 70,000, no one's attendance should be impacted. But I was planning on coming down for the game, so if it is going to drop below that, I want to know far enough ahead of time to change my plans. It is too far a drive for me to come down and not get to see the game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Was a worker(s) injured or killed on the project? I haven't heard that, but I also haven't kept up with the news on the project either.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Was a worker(s) injured or killed on the project? I haven't heard that, but I also haven't kept up with the news on the project either.

• Crying
Reactions: BamaMoon

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.