Biden to pull the US out of Afghanistan (Afghan Government has Fallen)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
And when the place goes back to poop, he will be blamed for doing it. Even if it's the last 2000+ troops we have there.

Afghanistan(like Iraq): Another failed attempt to install democratic ideas with a people who have no history of liberal thought and egalitarian ideologies. Most of these societies only respect the strongman.

I guess we can point to Japan. But they at least had some sense of representative democracy beginning in the 1920s, before the warlords wrested control back and started their misadventures in Asia.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
At last...how many lives have we lost there? How much money have we poured down the drain? I know they will foster terrorism...but we can institute harsh controls over immigration, etc. and hopefully control that. I am sure the Taliban haven't stopped planning such anyway.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I predict a race to the door. The Europeans will want to beat the U.S. out the door.
Not sure when the world will learn to leave alone medieval morons who have nothing to lose.
"This time, when I stick my fork into that electric socket, I think it's going to go great!"
Afghanistan doesn’t lose wars to Western and European powers. About the most successful campaign against them is Alexander, but even he understood that staying and occupying would be stupid.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Afghanistan isn't really even a country, for starters...
I remember talking to my translator on my second deployment. He basically said Afghanistan is the Mississippi of the Islamic world. Nothing there and is filled with hard headed people who live on an old history channel documentary in the 21st century.

Reactions: UAH

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I remember talking to my translator on my second deployment. He basically said Afghanistan is the Mississippi of the Islamic world. Nothing there and is filled with hard headed people who live on an old history channel documentary in the 21st century.
Was he Afghan? If so, which tribe?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
No. This one was Persian Brit. We had a few Afghanis as translators, but most translators were from other Middle Eastern countries or NATO countries who had people who could speak great Pashto and Dari.
I've heard Pashto (or "Pushto") described by Farsi speakers as countrified, simplified Farsi...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I wonder if George Bush and Dick Cheney sleep well at night? They probably do.
Not defending Bush or Cheney, but why wouldn't they? I understand questioning Iraq, but Afghanistan?

Add to that that we've had >12 years to get out under other presidents, it's not exactly their fault we're still there.

I'm just curious what you meant.

Reactions: Con

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Not defending Bush or Cheney, but why wouldn't they? I understand questioning Iraq, but Afghanistan?

Add to that that we've had >12 years to get out under other presidents, it's not exactly their fault we're still there.

I'm just curious what you meant.
We’ve been there since 2001. If the cost of American lives was worth killing one Saudi Arabian I just don’t see it. The Military industrial complex has done really well in twenty years. I’m sorry, I saw too much death in 1968. It just wasn’t worth the cost then or now.

Reactions: UAH and dtgreg

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
We’ve been there since 2001. If the cost of American lives was worth killing one Saudi Arabian I just don’t see it. The Military industrial complex has done really well in twenty years. I’m sorry, I saw too much death in 1968. It just wasn’t worth the cost then or now.
Fair, and we definitely lost our way wrt why we were in Afghanistan. But reality is that government allowed / encouraged the vile idiots that attacked America and took thousands of lives.

I wish none of this had ever happened, but I doubt any president loses sleep over deciding to attack the country harboring this kind of scum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.