Clemson looks bad... incredibly bad. (Clemson Spring Game)

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Clemsons recruiting approach has changed a good bit as they were here the other day recruiting several of our guys. There pitch and style has changed since they have been here in the past. I would say some desperation since some of his coaches have left their program. rtr
Just curious…..what’s changed?

What was the previous pitch, and what is it now?

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I'm not worried about Bryce...unless it's for his well being. Our OL was pretty helpless from what I have heard...even when Will Andersen was not in the game. Hard to believe that we cannot put together a really good OL.

While we are expressing concerns. Also, This is basically the same secondary that got toasted by UT and by UGA (2nd game.) Our front seven border on being all world, but the back 4 have to pick up their game. Where was the safety on the 75yd TD?
Agree on the OL concern, although I think we are all optimistic that our new OT transfer will help out a lot. Also, it's quite possible that even without Anderson in the game, that still leaves the second best pass rusher in the country in the game (Turner). They are going to make a lot of good OL look less than average.

On the DBs, the replacement corners were 1st year in the system guys, and that is a huge lift in understanding the system. There is more growth between the first year as a contributor and the second year than any other period, so there should be some optimism they will be pretty good in '22.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I can't stand Dabo but man you really really hate him. I support it :ROFLMAO:
Someone has to.

I’m somewhat convinced that we graduated a Barn sleeper agent who has been seeking to fulfill the Golden calf’s will in destroying us from within. He tried from 93-2000 and nearly succeeded, and now he has suckered many Alabama fans into wanting to offer him a job where he could do it again.

On a more serious note. I’m more against Dabo more because he makes Alabama fans so hypocritical. For years many here have complained about Gus crying and sending zingers to the press, but those same people get googly eyed when thinking about Dabo coming back home when he is far worse than Gus about crying and spinning zingers.

Last edited:

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
It won’t matter if Karen doesn’t stop being defiant against using the transfer portal. The reason Clemson is where they are now is in a large part because everyone is using the Transfer portal and promoting the NIL but him.
alabama already going to have a good team in 2022 and they turn around and grab: Ricks, Gibbs and Burton from the portal... something dabo refuses to do

I just enjoy watching DJ throw 9 touchdowns and 10 interceptions on the season lol. You would also think a QB would get better as a season goes on. He threw 2 touchdowns and 4 interceptions in his last 4 games. 7 of the 10 interceptions were after game 6

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
alabama already going to have a good team in 2022 and they turn around and grab: Ricks, Gibbs and Burton from the portal... something dabo refuses to do

I just enjoy watching DJ throw 9 touchdowns and 10 interceptions on the season lol. You would also think a QB would get better as a season goes on. He threw 2 touchdowns and 4 interceptions in his last 4 games. 7 of the 10 interceptions were after game 6
I mean everyone strikes out with a quarterback at some point but I have a feeling that he doesn’t have a Trevor Lawrence this time to save his season.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Someone has to.

I’m somewhat convinced that we graduated a Barn sleeper agent who has been seeking to fulfill the Golden calf’s will in destroying us from within. He tried from 93-2000 and nearly succeeded, and now he has suckered many Alabama fans into wanting to offer him a job where he could do it again.

On a more serious note. I’m more against Dabo more because he makes Alabama fans so hypocritical. For years many here have complained about Gus crying and sending zingers to the press, but those same people get googly eyed when thinking about Dabo coming back home when he is far worse than Gus about crying and spinning zingers.
I'm anti-Dabo because his "faith statements" do more harm than good vis a vis Christianity. He makes a mockery of God and legitimate faith -- and does so in the public square. I can excuse players from thanking God -- they are young and have not had time to fully reflect on what they are saying. Not so with coaches...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm anti-Dabo because his "faith statements" do more harm than good vis a vis Christianity. He makes a mockery of God and legitimate faith -- and does so in the public square. I can excuse players from thanking God -- they are young and have not had time to fully reflect on what they are saying. Not so with coaches...
yeah I’m always wondering if he is overcompensating for something like Freeze was.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 92tide and The Ols

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Last season all Clemson was lacking was a decent QB. Their defense was a playoff caliber defense. It remains to be seen if the defense can maintain that standard without Venables but if it can then Clemson only needs a couple of playmakers on offense to get back to the playoff. Might be a bit early to write them off and say their program is in decline since they still have very little competition in the ACC.

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
Just curious…..what’s changed?

What was the previous pitch, and what is it now?
I will say they have been very choosy in the past and not come around as much, at this time they asked who we thought could help them. Whereas in the past they came in already knowing who they wanted to speak to. Clemson seemed more willing to talk vs here we are and this is what we want.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 4Q Basket Case

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Last season all Clemson was lacking was a decent QB. Their defense was a playoff caliber defense. It remains to be seen if the defense can maintain that standard without Venables but if it can then Clemson only needs a couple of playmakers on offense to get back to the playoff. Might be a bit early to write them off and say their program is in decline since they still have very little competition in the ACC.
Weak OL was their biggest problem. Yes, DJ sucks but his OL got him killed.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
I'm not worried about Bryce...unless it's for his well being. Our OL was pretty helpless from what I have heard...even when Will Andersen was not in the game. Hard to believe that we cannot put together a really good OL.

While we are expressing concerns. Also, This is basically the same secondary that got toasted by UT and by UGA (2nd game.) Our front seven border on being all world, but the back 4 have to pick up their game. Where was the safety on the 75yd TD?
I guess I just don’t stress when our coach’s longest drought between national titles is two years. I have faith in the new o-line coach.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I guess I just don’t stress when our coach’s longest drought between national titles is two years. I have faith in the new o-line coach.
I'm not stressing...but the OLine seems to be the weak point...I've not seen the game...had it set to record and SEC Network changed to programming...should get it in the next couple of weeks. I do hope it was due more to an inability to teach college players, i.e., coaching, than it was to a lack of talent...time will tell as it usually does.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
They still have an elite defense but DJ U just isn't a player at the QB position.

Dabo deserves credit for what they've built at Clemson but in increasingly looks like having Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence back to back took them to heights they're unlikely to continue to replicate.

Reactions: seebell and The Ols

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.