News Article: Clemson wants ACC to pay for ‘malicious conduct’ and slander in lawsuit

Jun 29, 2023
Where the land meets the sky
Reactions: dtgreg

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Maintaining your contractual rights is "willful and malicious conduct"?!?!?

Don't insult the audience.

Mr. Magoo could see through this. They're trying to manufacture damages so they'll have something to negotiate their way out of the ACC Grant of Rights that they themselves signed.

They might get away with it in a South Carolina court, but it would get overturned by an appeals court in about half a second.

Jun 29, 2023
Where the land meets the sky
A South Carolina court has ordered the Atlantic Coast Conference to turn over documents about its agreements with ESPN that Clemson has requested in its lawsuit against the conference.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
I think I'm beginning to see a winning strategy here: Discovery. The networks and Conferences DO NOT want details of negotiations and texts/emails made public or even shared with individual schools. In fact, the Networks' desire of secrecy is so strong it may induce them to let the ACC out of its contract or renegotiate.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I see an argument that is stupid on its face, and then I think, "you know, just because an argument is stupid does not mean a judge won't say, 'Yeah, okay.'"
Who knows? A judge might just buy it.
but I think dtgreg is correct. This may just be about discovery.

Reactions: GrayTide and dtgreg

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I see an argument that is stupid on its face, and then I think, "you know, just because an argument is stupid does not mean a judge won't say, 'Yeah, okay.'"
Who knows? A judge might just buy it.
but I think dtgreg is correct. This may just be about discovery.
Unless Clemson's attorneys at the time they agreed to contract were total morons, it's very hard to see how a sophisticated academic institution could claim that it was somehow duped into an unconscionable contract as Clemson is alleging.

Perhaps this could create some leverage in negotiations, but in terms of a solid legal argument, it sounds like a bunch of nonsense to me.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
You are on to something here which sticks in my craw. Morons in charge of our higher learning intuitions? ALL these in charge are well educated college graduates! Yet, they lie all the time when it comes to firing and hiring head coaches, head coaches denying they are leaving up until the day they leave, lying about illegal endeavors and etc. The excuse is always the same. I, or we, had no choice because the truth would have been bad for recruiting, would have hurt the team, etc., etc.
I will add that these morons constantly make bone-headed hires quite often even when the unwashed masses wonder "what was he, they, thinking." How about those morons who have been in charge of the NCAA for as long as I can remember! To sum it all up let me show you the smoking gun pointed at AD's, HC's, commissioners, and the grand potentates in charge. Heck, the landscape is littered with shell casings.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I think I'm beginning to see a winning strategy here: Discovery. The networks and Conferences DO NOT want details of negotiations and texts/emails made public or even shared with individual schools. In fact, the Networks' desire of secrecy is so strong it may induce them to let the ACC out of its contract or renegotiate.
WHAT could be so important that they would want to keep it a secret?!?:unsure:

I mean, contracts ain't rocket surgery... ;)

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Unless Clemson's attorneys at the time they agreed to contract were total morons, it's very hard to see how a sophisticated academic institution could claim that it was somehow duped into an unconscionable contract as Clemson is alleging.

Perhaps this could create some leverage in negotiations, but in terms of a solid legal argument, it sounds like a bunch of nonsense to me.
Lawyers work to get paid, not win...:cool:

Latest threads