Golf

HighlandOak

1st Team
Mar 8, 2023
I was there for the 2nd and 3rd rounds in 1984 when Trevino won. I was also there for the 2nd round in 1990 when Trevino and his caddie (Herman Mitchell) acted like jerks to people when they missed the cut, particularly Mitchell. He was cursing and complaining about the hills and heat.
I think we were there for round two. We were about halfway down a long part 5. Only one that went for the green in two and made it on the green was Lon Hinkle. At least for the couple of hours we were on that hole.

Reactions: CB4

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Grayson Murray of the PGA Tour is dead at age 30. Murray has been candid through the years about his struggles with anxiety, depression and alcohol abuse. Very sad. 😔

Thanks for posting...really sad ending to a talented golfer who was beset by personal troubles from teenage years on. PGA Tour is a pressure cooker and there are more than we know who cannot handle that aspect of it.

• Thank You

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
GT sophomore Hiroshi Tai won the Men's individual NCCA golf title yesterday...Gordon Sargent (Vandy and Birmingham) missed at least 4 key putts inside of 8 feet to lose by one stroke -- he won as a freshman in 2022.

Top 8 teams play in match play starting today. Really tough course so this could be quite interesting. And yes, AU -- #1 ranked team in the country coming in, finished 6th so they made match play. If you so desire the Golf Channel is carrying the tournament.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Awful news about Murray. I feel so bad for his parents, especially!

On a more positive note former Bama Golfer Davis Riley won the PGA event in Texas on Sunday.
1716894841417.jpeg
1716894841476.pngSports Illustrated
Davis Riley Wins Charles Schwab Challenge
1 day ago

Reactions: Padreruf

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Auburn won the Golf National Championship...they have had a dominant team this year led by a freshman from Chapel Hill, NC. The match play score ws 3-2...FSU jumped out to an early lead but faded about the turn.

Bama wound up 10th in the rankings even though they lost Nick Dunlap (#1 in World Amateur rankings) and were upset in the Regionals finishing 1 shot out of making the Championship field.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Scottie Scheffler wins again -- Memorial @ Jack Nicklaus place/course in Ohio, Murfield Village. Great test of golf...really hard on Sunday. Scheffler toughed it out even though he could not buy a putt until 18...he is a great competitor.

Now we have the US Open coming -- @ Pinehurst #2 originally designed by Donald Ross, the godfather of golf course architecture. This is totally different from what most professionals play week end and week out. Hard fairways, sketchy rough with sand all over, and pushup greens that repel all but the best shots -- and usually in all directions. This is more British Open golf than US golf.

I'm looking at the better Europeans to do well...Shane Lowry and Tommy Fleetwood. Rory could threaten but his form has not been good for a while. Look out for Cam Smith -- he can putt and chip with the best. Scheffler could do well if he's not too tired from winning this past week. He can also putt and chip with anyone and is the top iron player on the tour.

I was lucky enough to attend the last 2 Opens held here, but not this year. Too much walking for this old body....

Sunday is Father's Day and my son here has asked us to come over after church to eat and watch the tournament together. Nothing better -- other than having my Atlanta son here as well.

Enjoy -- have a great week!

HighlandOak

1st Team
Mar 8, 2023
Scottie Scheffler wins again -- Memorial @ Jack Nicklaus place/course in Ohio, Murfield Village. Great test of golf...really hard on Sunday. Scheffler toughed it out even though he could not buy a putt until 18...he is a great competitor.

Now we have the US Open coming -- @ Pinehurst #2 originally designed by Donald Ross, the godfather of golf course architecture. This is totally different from what most professionals play week end and week out. Hard fairways, sketchy rough with sand all over, and pushup greens that repel all but the best shots -- and usually in all directions. This is more British Open golf than US golf.

I'm looking at the better Europeans to do well...Shane Lowry and Tommy Fleetwood. Rory could threaten but his form has not been good for a while. Look out for Cam Smith -- he can putt and chip with the best. Scheffler could do well if he's not too tired from winning this past week. He can also putt and chip with anyone and is the top iron player on the tour.

I was lucky enough to attend the last 2 Opens held here, but not this year. Too much walking for this old body....

Sunday is Father's Day and my son here has asked us to come over after church to eat and watch the tournament together. Nothing better -- other than having my Atlanta son here as well.

Enjoy -- have a great week!
If the setup is close to Opens past, I'm guessing anyone who can break par for the week is the new champ, maybe even as high as +2.

Reactions: Padreruf

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
I'm thinking they probably watered the greens last night to slow them down...but will gradually let them get harder and faster over the next 4 days. Barring a lot of rain par will win this tournament...going to be a real test of skill and mental toughness.

Reactions: HighlandOak

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Anybody know what's going on with JT's game? (Justin Thomas). He seems to be regressing instead of getting better. I'm still pulling for him, and hope he can gets things back together.
He is going through a major slump -- and it has become a brain fog. Most players go through this at some point in their careers. He may recover and he may not...as nervous/skittish as he seems to be, he may never come back. The same with Jordan Spieth...

Reactions: Krymsonman

Latest threads