BREAKING Explosion in Beirut port warehouse...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Years ago, one daughter was working as a raft guide on the Ocoee and the younger was visiting her, staying over night. The were staying at Sunburst on US 64. Unbeknownst to them (or us), there was an illegal fireworks plant up the side road about 1.5 miles. When it went up, they told us that it shook the ground like a bombing run and there was a blast wave. Eleven died. Polk County was so poor, you made a living however you could...

Wiki

• Thank You
Reactions: NationalTitles18

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
  • Thank You
Reactions: TexasBama and UAH

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Years ago, one daughter was working as a raft guide on the Ocoee and the younger was visiting her, staying over night. The were staying at Sunburst on US 64. Unbeknownst to them (or us), there was an illegal fireworks plant up the side road about 1.5 miles. When it went up, they told us that it shook the ground like a bombing run and there was a blast wave. Eleven died. Polk County was so poor, you made a living however you could...

Wiki
My dad worked at the Hercules powder plant (later Ireco) in Bessemer. He was there for two explosions, including one on Halloween night, 1979. We were 20 miles away (as the crow flies) at an outside event when it blew. Not a cloud in the sky and my mother, knowing what had happened intuitively, quickly gathered us up and we headed home to wait on news. Windows were blown out miles away. He had been scheduled to work that night in the building where the explosion happened but had traded off with someone else at their request. It was the "dope house" that blew that night, meaning lots of nitroglycerin instead of gunpowder.

As we anxiously waited to hear something we watched the news. As we did so we were relieved to see my dad walking "aimlessly" behind the reporter on scene. It was his way of letting us know he was OK since he could not yet call. (He had a knack for getting on TV but that's another story :D )

My dad stayed on until Ireco shut it down and was one of the last to be let go.

There were likely thousands of pounds of explosive material there in Beirut. I'm not surprised at all at the shock wave or severity of the blast.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

The government had stored “highly explosive materials” at the blast scene on the Lebanese capital’s waterfront. Extensive damage was reported around the city and hospitals were overwhelmed with victims.

Lebanon’s health ministry said that at least 70 people had died and 3,700 suffered injuries in the explosions and fire that shook Beirut on Tuesday.
The numbers climbed steadily through the day, and with the wounded still streaming into hospitals and the search for missing people underway, they were likely to go higher still.
The secretary-general of the Kataeb political party, Nizar Najarian, was killed in the blast, and among those injured was Kamal Hayek, the chairman of the state-owned electricity company, who was in critical condition, the news agency reported.

“Highly explosive materials,” seized by the government years ago, were stored where the explosions occurred, said Maj. Gen. Abbas Ibrahim, the head of Lebanon’s general security service, according to the National News Agency.
President Michel Aoun later confirmed that explosive substances were held there. Neither of them said what those materials were, but General Ibrahim warned against getting “ahead of the investigation” and speculating about a terrorist act.
Prime Minister Hassan Diab said in a televised statement, “Facts on this dangerous depot, which has existed since 2014 or the past six years, will be announced.”
“What happened today will not come to pass without accountability,” Mr. Diab said. “Those responsible will pay a price for this catastrophe.” he said. “This is a promise to the martyrs and wounded people. This is a national commitment.”
At least one explosion, at about 6 p.m., stemmed from a fire at a warehouse at Beirut’s port, according to Lebanon’s National News Agency.
There were local reports that the warehouse contained fireworks, and in several videos posted online, colored flashes could be seen in the dark smoke rising from the fire, just before the second explosion.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH and B1GTide

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Perspective for the day:

Timothy McVeigh used about two tons of ammonium nitrate to blow up the federal building in Oklahoma City.

Reports are that the warehouse in Beirut had upwards of 2700 tons of ammonium nitrate.

I'm surprised there isn't just a big crater where Beirut used to be.

The link I posted above, the Grandcamp, had about 8500 tons of ammonium nitrate onboard. The blast was estimated to be about 3.2 kilotons of TNT, or about 20% of the Hiroshima bomb.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
There are a lot of different angles being posted on reddit & Twitter. Crazy looking explosion.

Death toll at 50 officially last I saw. Will be amazed if it doesn’t skyrocket from what I’ve seen so far.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.