From ESPN, a second pro day for Mac...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He scored 21 points not 28. 7 of those points were off a pick six. But he also had a horrid second half. Basically Brady and Ryan flip flopped at who had a great half.

1) Ryan absolutely sucked the 2nd half of the game. Yes bring your stats and I’ll show you better stats.

2) it’s kinda hard not to remember that the Falcons recovered an onside kick and drove down in FG range. Ryan’s mismanagement directly costed them both times

3) it’s also kinda hard to forget that he had Julio Jones who couldn’t be covered.
That was one day that I was happy not to be a Falcons fan. And most of those same fans got to watch GA implode less than a year later.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
That was one day that I was happy not to be a Falcons fan. And most of those same fans got to watch GA implode less than a year later.
And us Bama fans had just watched Alabama lose on a pick play a month before that Super Bowl garbage. That was a rough year for this fan. I did not even go on espn.com or listen to any radio until the fall. Sure I felt better the next year seeing uga get their hearts torn out, but up until then it kind of sucked.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The thing about it is, yes I blame Quinn and Shanahan more but Ryan isn’t absolved of considerable blame. The quarterback play in the SB is key to winning and losing. Very few escape considerable blame for a loss. The few I think of are Warner in both SB losses, Brady in SB 52, Staubach in SB X. Maybe @selmaborntidefan can remember more but those are the few off the top of my head.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The thing about it is, yes I blame Quinn and Shanahan more but Ryan isn’t absolved of considerable blame. The quarterback play in the SB is key to winning and losing. Very few escape considerable blame for a loss. The few I think of are Warner in both SB losses, Brady in SB 52, Staubach in SB X. Maybe @selmaborntidefan can remember more but those are the few off the top of my head.
Don't forget to blame Freeman, who decided to not block Hightower. Lots of blame to go around for the SB loss.

I get very angry when anyone compares Mac to Ryan. It has happened more than once.

• Haha
Reactions: Relayer

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Don't forget to blame Freeman, who decided to not block Hightower. Lots of blame to go around for the SB loss.

I get very angry when anyone compares Mac to Ryan. It has happened more than once.
Yeah I tend to agree. But at some point the blame has to be put at the general of the offense when you are up 25 points mid way through the 3rd and you can’t score a FG is my point. It’s why I find the “Brady wins only because of the team” argument so ridiculous. Because it’s usually the Ryan defenders using both arguments. At some point you have to accept 1 guy gets results and the other doesn’t. I have no doubt Brady wins that game if he was wearing Black and Red that day and Ryan gets blown out if he was wearing Silver and blue.

More of less I think Mac is more Brady than Couisins and Ryan.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Did you see any of Fields' pro day?
Hey Earle - answered elsewhere, but for the board - I did not catch JT's Pro Day workout because of work, but I have read about it. He was timed at 4.44 in the 40. But OSU is going to give him a second Pro Day much like Alabama did for Mac, and the 49ers are said to be one of the teams that will attend.

Reactions: Con

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Mac is now being slotted in the #3 spot to the 49ers by both McShay and Adam Schefter. Schefter gets good inside info so this is getting a lot of momentum. Could have four Bama players in the top 10 which is ridiculous (Jones, Smith, Waddle, Surtain).
I have not seen any mock drafts with all four in the top ten. Most I've seen is three, and saw a couple with just one.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
There is a lot of chatter on the morning ESPN shows (I see clips on Youtube) about how big of a mistake it will be for the 49ers to "waste" their #3 pick on Mac. I'd like to know how often these people actually pan out to be correct with their projections. No one follows up on it. No one holds them accountable. They spew this nonsense all draft season, we have the draft, and we move on with life. The seasons come and go, and no one really looks back and says oh wait... Todd McShay's prognostications prove to be incorrect 78% of the time.

I get it. That's an impossible task and no one is patient enough to undertake it. Not even Selma, I'll bet. Anyway, I'm struggling, maybe because of my bias, to understand why drafting Mac at #3 is so much of an overreach. Apparently NONE of the talent evaluators that these talking heads speak to has Mac rated as the 3rd best pick or QB in this draft. NONE. So I wonder... is much of this just bluster from the teams themselves, feeding the media a narrative in an attempt to influence other teams?

I would not be surprised to see Mac NOT be drafted at that #3 pick or even in the top 10. I hope folks are prepared for that. Yet, I most certainly will not be surprised if in 5 years we are looking back and realizing Mac was by far the best QB in this draft. And then I'd like to ask David Pollack what the hell difference did it make that Mac was already at his ceiling while these other QBs had so much more potential left yet to develop?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
There is a lot of chatter on the morning ESPN shows (I see clips on Youtube) about how big of a mistake it will be for the 49ers to "waste" their #3 pick on Mac. I'd like to know how often these people actually pan out to be correct with their projections. No one follows up on it. No one holds them accountable. They spew this nonsense all draft season, we have the draft, and we move on with life. The seasons come and go, and no one really looks back and says oh wait... Todd McShay's prognostications prove to be incorrect 78% of the time.

I get it. That's an impossible task and no one is patient enough to undertake it. Not even Selma, I'll bet. Anyway, I'm struggling, maybe because of my bias, to understand why drafting Mac at #3 is so much of an overreach. Apparently NONE of the talent evaluators that these talking heads speak to has Mac rated as the 3rd best pick or QB in this draft. NONE. So I wonder... is much of this just bluster from the teams themselves, feeding the media a narrative in an attempt to influence other teams?

I would not be surprised to see Mac NOT be drafted at that #3 pick or even in the top 10. I hope folks are prepared for that. Yet, I most certainly will not be surprised if in 5 years we are looking back and realizing Mac was by far the best QB in this draft. And then I'd like to ask David Pollack what the hell difference did it make that Mac was already at his ceiling while these other QBs had so much more potential left yet to develop?
I hope Mac is the next great QB (along with Tua and Jalen). And he was incredible for us.

But, the problem with Mac in the NFL is simply that he doesn't have a ton of elite physical tools. He's definitely not an elite athlete but he also doesn't have an elite level arm. This means that when he is late on a read he won't be able to rifle it in, or if he has pressure up the middle it will be more difficult for him to complete an accurate pass while throwing off his back foot.

People are wrong about QBs a LOT. Heck, Josh Allen has proven most of these guys wrong very recently. I hope Mac does the same.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Every year, we hear noises like this where it create doubts in people's mind. We went through that with Tua.. WE heard so much about him dropping out of 1st round, etc. Same thing

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
That would be a cruel twist of fate for Fields.
The Failcons are heading up to watch Fields' pro day, so the uga nutbags are all giddy that Fields will get drafted here. If Atlanta had any brains at all, they would trade down and pick up more draft picks. Then again they have a glaring problem right now. They do no have enough cap space to sign everyone they draft this year.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I hope Mac is the next great QB (along with Tua and Jalen). And he was incredible for us.

But, the problem with Mac in the NFL is simply that he doesn't have a ton of elite physical tools. He's definitely not an elite athlete but he also doesn't have an elite level arm. This means that when he is late on a read he won't be able to rifle it in, or if he has pressure up the middle it will be more difficult for him to complete an accurate pass while throwing off his back foot.

People are wrong about QBs a LOT. Heck, Josh Allen has proven most of these guys wrong very recently. I hope Mac does the same.
I'm not sure I agree that he does not have an elite arm.

He is of the same mold as Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, and even Drew Brees. IOW, I believe he has the tools to have a similar career, as unlikely as that would be for ANY QB. He is going to have to make his living with his brain, and throwing the ball. Not athleticism or scrambling.

I will make the point that the QBs that attempt to make any sort of living with athleticism and scrambling ability do not last very long.

It's a gamble no matter what. I disagree with you on the elite arm comment, but acknowledge I'm biased and may be wrong on that.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.